Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 Year Old drinking in US ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

In Boston the bar-person, not even the owner, gets fined $1,000 by the police if they serve someone underage.

So risk it for a $1000 fine in a minimum wage job....erm you have no chance

It's not even minimum wage as their tips are included in their income. Which is why they get so annoyed when you don't tip, they get taxed on the expected tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'm 34(and look older) and was in Orlando last year, I got asked for ID. My wife did aswell, luckily enough I had photos of our passports in the phone that they accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ursa actos

I'm 38 with a full beard and get carded regularly. I see people in their 60's getting carded.
    Back in 2002 when I was on a J1, I had a bartender in Maine come take the beer my waitress gave me off my table when he thought my passport was fake, because of the raised signature (the signature part of the old application they'd tear off and laminate over). I was ragin after bustin my ass working all day, held my ground, told him to go get a cop off the street to look at it. He asked for any other ID but I had nothing American. In the end he accepted an ISIC card of all things because it had a hologram embedded in the laminate. An ISIC card that wouldn't get you a whiff of alcohol in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

The OP is 18 yrs old and going for a dream holiday and all he's worried about is buying drink. Ahhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭dubrov

Fieldsman wrote:
    The OP is 18 yrs old and going for a dream holiday and all he's worried about is buying drink. Ahhhh

Do you have a point or just enjoy patronising?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

51mgF9%2BuXZL._SX425_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Fieldsman wrote: »

Give over ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

It's fairly strict all right. I found that I had to bring out my passport with me as my Garda card and DL weren't recognised.

Some places have a policy of carding absolutely everybody. Even pensioners.

Someone told me that a bar can save on their liability insurance if they commit to id-ing everyone.

Someone else told me that if a bar is caught even once serving underage, they have to id absolutely everyone for a set period of time as a condition of keeping their license

Many bars actually run it through some type of electronic scanner

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

In Boston the bar-person, not even the owner, gets fined $1,000 by the police if they serve someone underage.

So risk it for a $1000 fine in a minimum wage job....erm you have no chance

Never heard that, but I can believe it. I think you actually need a bartending license, and attend alcohol awareness classes to keep it current. Theyd probably revoke your license too if they wanted to

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

There is a bar in Philly that doesn't card. I was there and the place was packed out with high school kids puking everywhere. You will get severed in there no prob. I'll send you the name in a pm.

The only thing is bartenders were awful, a brother and sister I think. They ignored me while they just argued about crap. They just had this one bouncer to who thought he was the ****. Going on to me for hours about his 'sweet karate' moves. I was just trying to have a drink on my holiday.

Don't get me started on the toilets, filthy as anything and the janitor was just hanging around the bar drinking with the other clowns who run the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Melodeon

jme2010 wrote: »
    There is a bar in Philly that doesn't card. I was there and the place was packed out with high school kids puking everywhere. You will get severed in there no prob. I'll send you the name in a pm.

The only thing is bartenders were awful, a brother and sister I think. They ignored me while they just argued about crap. They just had this one bouncer to who thought he was the ****. Going on to me for hours about his 'sweet karate' moves. I was just trying to have a drink on my holiday.

Don't get me started on the toilets, filthy as anything and the janitor was just hanging around the bar drinking with the other clowns who run the place.
    Sounds like a pretty hardcore spot! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Hardly a ringing endorsment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I was in this place as well. Think it's called Paddy's Pub is I can remember correctly.
    You got away lightly jme2010 some blonde skank that looked like a bird kept trying to hit on me and doing weird accents at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sounds like an underage bar here. The younger the crowd the worse the conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

This happens from time to time in Boston when in a bar with no bouncer at the door which is incredibly annoying. Last week, we were in a crowded bar and my mid-40s colleague lined up to get a round of 4 drinks, when he eventually gets served the bar tender ask for 4 ids, so he has to make his way through the crowd, collect our groups IDs, make his way back to the bar.

Then a 2nd person from our group went up to get a 2nd round, bartender asked for 4 IDs as he'd never seen the 2nd person before. He argued that we already did this but bartender didn't care so he had to go get our IDs again.

There was no 3rd round in that bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hazys wrote: »
    This happens from time to time in Boston when in a bar with no bouncer at the door which is incredibly annoying. Last week, we were in a crowded bar and my mid-40s colleague lined up to get a round of 4 drinks, when he eventually gets served the bar tender ask for 4 ids, so he has to make his way through the crowd, collect our groups IDs, make his way back to the bar.

Then a 2nd person from our group went up to get a 2nd round, bartender asked for 4 IDs as he'd never seen the 2nd person before. He argued that we already did this but bartender didn't care so he had to go get our IDs again.

That bartender was protecting the business and his job. He wasn't to know when it was a different person looking to get the round in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Hardly a ringing endorsment

That poster also seems to have entirely missed that our OP is going to Chicago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I was in that bar too. I remember the owner was really creepy. Small chubby chap. Constantly staring at my girlfriend. Really freaked her out. I think he might have been high on coke or cats piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

eezipc wrote: »
    I was in that bar too. I remember the owner was really creepy. Small chubby chap. Constantly staring at my girlfriend. Really freaked her out. I think he might have been high on coke or cats piss.

I heard they won the best bar in Philly award or something like that? Maybe flipadelphia champs?

I'm heading back to that bar next month when I'm over in the states...leave the ID at home ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

They are very strict about carding people over there. Pretty much anyone that looks under 25 will be carded.

I was there in October, I just turned 40, I got carded everywhere and I look a lot older and fatter than 40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I heard they won the best bar in Philly award or something like that? Maybe flipadelphia champs?

I'm heading back to that bar next month when I'm over in the states...leave the ID at home ;)

When your there you should try their wolf cola or fight milk ,great stuff .There milk steak is great aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Guys, 82 (83) posts in and the OP's last was no.26.

I don't think he's heeding any more advice from us! :pac:

Here is a link to the revenue website which provides some guidance on commercial property stamp duty.
    Non-residential property for Stamp Duty purposes includes:
    sites (other than sites purchased with a connected agreement to build a house or apartment)

Note a connected agreement here refers to the situation where you buy the site and build as part of one agreement. This would occur when someone buys a house off the plans from a builder. It wouldn't apply to a self-build where you buy the site first and contract a builder separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I think you're in the wrong thread, dude...

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I think you're in the wrong thread, dude...

I got caught with stamp duty on alcohol a few times in Chicago. I tried to claim it was for residential use but they said that it had to be commercial given the quantity I was consuming :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

RobertKK wrote: »
    That bartender was protecting the business and his job. He wasn't to know when it was a different person looking to get the round in.

Well technically he's seen my buddies ID already.

I guess the point is when you have over the top rules and are too cheap to hire a bouncer, you lose business.

Its also one of those places where they don't let you sit down unless you order food (not even an appetizer would suffice it had to be an entree) so 90% of tables were empty and the bar area is packed with people standing. Forget IDing and all that jazz, the must order food to sit bars are my no1 pet peeve about bars in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

An intoxicated underage woman (20) was punched in the face by police on Wildwood Beach, New Jersey.

She was resisting arrest while sunbathing drunk, so an officer decked her in the face. He's on administrative leave now.

Underage drinking is considered a big deal over there.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/27/video-shows-cop-punching-beachgoer-in-head-during-scuffle/

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

"I was never in America but I was in some state on Friday night".

I'd say forget about it. You haven't a hope of getting served in any bar. I tired to buy beer in an off-license near Boston when I was 19 and they almost died laughing at me. That was 30 years ago and from what I've heard they've gotten much stricter since. Having said that, I visited Chicago when I was 45 and wasn't carded once. Very disappointing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

RobertKK wrote: »

Yep.

Restaurant I managed in Atlanta, it was a firing offence not to ask for ID for anyone ordering alcohol. Didn't matter if the customer was in nappies, a Klingon outfit, or needed a walking frame to get about. No ID = No booze. End of story. The bartender or waitresses opinion on how young or old you were was irrelevant. If it's a pain in the ass for people here, who can't get their heads around that, chill out. This is peoples jobs we are dealing with.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Hazys wrote: »

I guess the bartender has to apply the rules blindly, with zero common sense, judgement, flexibility, intelligence or taking into account the real world situation, because the person controlling him will do the exact same.
    Looks like the US has finally reached the point where it is now the other way round - the rules no longer serve us, we serve the rules.
    Even as a German I have to say that when it comes to being small-minded, petty, obstinate and downright cnutish when it comes to pointless enforcement of the rules, the Yanks are world-champions.
    If they enforced gun security the same way, there would be no mass (or any) shootings.

Advertisement