Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasp nest prevention

Options
  • 19-05-2018 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Last weekend I a knocked a wasps nest in two separate sheds out the back. Both were about the size of a half a golf ball.

I was away for the week and I noticed this weekend one of them has been persistent and rebuilt one. Pretty quickly at that, it was back to nearly a full golf ball.

I've knocked it again this evening but I'm away for the next 3 weeks and could really do without coming back to decent size nest!

Any ideas on what I can spray to prevent a rebuild?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,514 ✭✭✭jmreire

Reading about the wasps nest... today in my garden shed I found this ( See Pic) Its about 2" in size, and very artistic looking, coloured beige or wooden looking, circular shape ( Golf Ball? ) It's hanging from one of the rafters,,,,, is it a wasps nest? If it is, how big could it get if I leave it alone???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

big_show wrote: »
    Last weekend I a knocked a wasps nest in two separate sheds out the back. Both were about the size of a half a golf ball.

I was away for the week and I noticed this weekend one of them has been persistent and rebuilt one. Pretty quickly at that, it was back to nearly a full golf ball.

I've knocked it again this evening but I'm away for the next 3 weeks and could really do without coming back to decent size nest!

Any ideas on what I can spray to prevent a rebuild?
    jmreire wrote: »
    Reading about the wasps nest... today in my garden shed I found this ( See Pic) Its about 2" in size, and very artistic looking, coloured beige or wooden looking, circular shape ( Golf Ball? ) It's hanging from one of the rafters,,,,, is it a wasps nest? If it is, how big could it get if I leave it alone???
    Yes that's a wasp nest. You need to kill the wasps as well as knock the nest. Wait until after dark when all wasps will be in the nest. Put a bag over the nest. Pick it off and dispose of the bag by burning, or crushing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I had this a couple of summers back, I used half a can of fly and wasp killer once it was dark. Obviously take care not to inhale it!

First time I have ever seen one up close and personal...Its a pretty artistic piece of work. They seem to build out from the top with different layers overhanging each other, with the entrance on the bottom.
    Left to their own devices, just how big would it get? And how many wasps would it contain ( roughly ).. enough to be dangerous if disturbed, I suppose.
    I know of one case ( in Africa ) where the man got out of his car, and was badly stung before he could get back into it again ( Anaphyliptic shock ) He died shortly after even though there was a medical team on the spot. The African variety would be a different kettle of fish from the Irish one, but dangerous too I think..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've seen than as big as a small football with scores of wasps resident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

jmreire wrote: »

It really is a wonderful construction.A piece of Art!
    Spiders are also great builders and architects but they do have 6/8 limbs,Is that the reason I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

gillad wrote: »
    It really is a wonderful construction.A piece of Art!
    Spiders are also great builders and architects but they do have 6/8 limbs,Is that the reason I wonder?
    I admired the wonderful construction alright, right before I put the brush through it Saturday evening :)

Thanks for the input eveyone, think I'm going to just wing it for now and spray it if it returns for a 3rd time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

spray some furniture wax or similar where the nest was being built. i can't say for certain that's what made the difference, but after i did this in my shed, the wasps stopped trying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

spray some furniture wax or similar where the nest was being built. i can't say for certain that's what made the difference, but after i did this in my shed, the wasps stopped trying there.

Was it beeswax?
    I used old ant powder myself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

Seal the shed door with sticky/masking tape to prevent them getting in.

Am sure they will move on if all entrances are blocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Blow up a large paper bag and hang it up in the vicinity. The wasps will think it's another swarm's nest and go elsewhere.
    http://www.lovethispic.com/blog/8558/how-to-keep-wasps-away-with-a-brown-paper-bag

So last night, I went into the shed armed with a torch, jam jar and flat bladed paint scraper ( wide one) I put the jar over the nest, and slid the scraper between the jar and the wooden beam...nest falls into the jar, which I keep covered with the scraper plus a block of wood. Only saw one wasp though....will wait a few days and open the nest and see what it contains. No sign so far at any rate of attempts to rebuild...….

Advertisement