Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fight night May 19 Sky and BoxNation: Selby/Warrington and Stevenson/Jack

• 19-05-2018 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭

Two cards tonight. First on is Selby/Warrington on air from 19:30 BoxNation and then on air on SS action from 02:30 is Stevenson/Jack..

Not sure where one can watch Gary Russell/Jo Diaz..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

That girl fought for a world tile 6 weeks ago. Shows how bad the standard of women's pro boxing is. Below national amateur standard in places...

Apparently Tyson's June 9th opponent will be announced tonight. Not exactly expecting a Post Molina AJ vs Klitschko face of....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Apparently Tyson's June 9th opponent will be announced tonight. Not exactly expecting a Post Molina AJ vs Klitschko face of....

Not expecting him to be up to much, but it will be a disappointment if it’s some tomato can. Tyson keeps telling us he’s the real champ...

walshb wrote: »
    Not expecting him to be up to much, but it will be a disappointment if it’s some tomato can. Tyson keeps telling us he’s the real champ...

It might be Ronne Pickering. What a fight that would be.

bn_comp_pickering.png

Get off the fookin’ stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

They have to stop showing the footage from above, cos it looks like there is nobody there. Except for a few early soccer supporters in the main stand who seem to have arrived early for the next Leeds United home game.
    Tyson Fury dressed like the thought the band was gonna play Groove Is In The Heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

They have to stop showing the footage from above, cos it looks like there is nobody there. Except for a few early soccer supporters in the main stand who seem to have arrived early for the next Leeds United home game.
    Tyson Fury dressed like the thought the band was gonna play Groove Is In The Heart.

Big stadium fights are always like that. Most of the 'fans' are out in the bars until literally a few minutes before the main event.

1-0 Warrington..

Great scrap. Josh giving it to him..

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Warrington's going to stop him! I hope.

• Advertisement

pac_man wrote: »
    Selby yet to get into any type of rhythm. He looked dreadful at the weigh in yesterday.

Not being let..Josh very efficient.

Selby finding his range in the 3rd.

Josh needs to be frenetic. Waits and relaxes and he gets outboxed.

Selby doing better now. Still hope he gets cleaned out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

How do people think the fight later will pan out? Unless age has really gotten to Adonis I can't see anything other than a victory for him. Jack is a lovely fighter to watch and he always seems to be the underdog and pull it out of the bag but having close scraps with DeGale and Dirrell as well as Groves, two of the three being average and Groves good but not great; surely Adonis is the best, or more precisely the most powerful and accurate fighter he'll have fought. Jack has been down by lesser men before and Adonis has a cannon of a left hand, does Jack avoid it for 12 rounds? I'm not so sure as he loves a scrap and he has most joy trading. There seems to be a lot of people picking him based on emotion due to Adonis' past and the fact he's built a protected resume but I can't look past Adonis' speed and power and decent boxing ability.

Josh landing good legal shots to side of head and being warned for back of head...?

Frampton should be licking his lips..

Really surprised at Selby not keeping it at range.

Josh’s offense has more meat and substance than Selby’s..

Some close rds, but Warrington just always looking the winner...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Selby is not fighting the right fight at all. Warrington is really basic but effective, defense is non existent from Selby.

Delighted Selby being “shown up” here. Never rated him as anything approaching a great pro. Has fought nobody. Warrington fought very well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Wow. Selby schooled by Josh bloody Warrington.

Well done Warrington.

Although even the current half-shot Frampton will eat him alive imo.

Both fought their hearts out..

Fook me...that was too close....

Split. LOL, boxing.

Split decision unbelievable I had josh by 6 maybe even 7. Good fight though.

I gave Selby 3/4 rds at most..

Some close rds, but can’t really argue he won that.

• Advertisement

Very hard to argue a win for Selby there but the thing is a lot of the rounds were close but the rounds Warrington won he won very clearly. I had it 8-4 Warrington.

hard to see a split decision there. If that last judge had gone the other way, then the Kaiser Chiefs premonition may have come true in Elland Road.

My link just went down. Did Frank Warren just say "Carl done wonderful tonight" ??

My link just went down. Did Frank Warren just say "Carl done wonderful tonight" ??

He did indeed,and then it became clear that Carl has split from Frank. Shambles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Good entertaining scrap. Fair play to Warrington he was game and fit as a butchers dog. Both had their moments, but for me Warrington had 3/4 times as many as Selby. Warrington kept his defence tight and most of Selby's punches were catching his gloves, meanwhile the Leeds boxer's shots were much more eye catching, the crowd and the blood on Selby's face would have also swayed the judges.

Split decision is a bit silly, as I don't see how anyone would have had Warrington up by any less than about 4 rounds.

As for Frampton, if they do get it on I don't think the gameplan from tonight would be effective, as Frampton shouldn't be there to hit as easily as Selby was. Frampton also has a meaner shot on him, what I will say is if Warrington is still there after rounds 7/8 and keeps coming he could possibly upset Frampton who I could see fading down the stretch.

I would quite like to see it next.

Very good post, weemcd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Selby's pathetic attempt at a jab tonight was possibly the worse I've ever seen from a World Champion.

He did indeed,and then it became clear that Carl has split from Frank. Shambles!

Got a strange vibe of that alright. Can you elaborate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Frank Warren would me mad to put josh in with frampton in his first defence. I can see one or two defences in Elland road against mediocre opposition before a possible fight with frampton happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

walshb wrote: »
    Very good post, weemcd.

Cheers boss! How did you find the match?

Warrington ducking low and then going in with wide hooks worked on Selby's style due to height and maybe a little bit of naivety from Selby here. I don't think this works V Frampton as there isn't that height differential. Thoughts?

weemcd wrote: »
    Cheers boss! How did you find the match?

Warrington ducking low and then going in with wide hooks worked on Selby's style due to height and maybe a little bit of naivety from Selby here. I don't think this works V Frampton as there isn't that height differential. Thoughts?

Warrington will be a sucker for Framptons right uppercut...

Selby couldn’t burst a grape. Carl has a decent dig on him. I think this will prove to be important. Warrington was not at all discouraged by Selby’s pitter patter punches. Carl should be able to get Warrington’s respect.

Inside work will see Frampton far more efficient than Selby..both naturally being better, as well as physiologically being a better fit to deal with Warrington in close compared to the taller Selby.

I was one who said Carl beats Selby 9/10 times best v best. I’d say the same v Warrington, but Carl is on the slide, which makes the fight little closer..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I think Framptons superior movement stops Warrington being able to march forward in a straight line as he did tonight.

Selby's lack of anything remotely resembling a stiff jab meant that Warringtons crude straight marches continued throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Can't see Warrington-Frampton happening for a while to be honest. Think about how meticulous Josh's team have been managing every aspect of his career to this point. You really think they'll throw him in with Frampton now straight away? Can't see it.

Frank has also just got himself another cashcow. Doubt he'll be wanting to throw two of his biggest ticket sellers in with each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I don't want to take anything away from Warrington tonight. Fought the fight of his life. Was very clear though that Selby has nothing left to give at the weight though. Nothing behind his punches, feet not there at all like they used to be. Extremely laboured performance. Must move up if he fights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i thought it was clever of warrington not to chase selby all the time, as is often seen when styles like theirs meet, and considering height difference....he did chase him when mattered but chose his times well...he couldnt counter him early with the size but surprised me later in the fight when he did...only obvious thing i didnt see with warrington was use of angles.
    his head was a weapon though and he got away with back of the head shots.
    on paper its a split decision, so that gives selby something to base a rematch on.

the frampton v selby fight was brewing nicely into a huge money fight, so frampton has seen a bulk of payday gone...him v warrington will have to brew over 18 months while warrington gets a couple of handy showcase defences (if he can avoid selby rematch)....then frampton is that bit older, and hes getting older fast.
    or from warringtons point of view maybe selby rematch is bigger and safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

dougm1970 wrote: »

the frampton v selby fight was brewing nicely into a huge money fight, so frampton has seen a bulk of payday gone...him v warrington will have to brew over 18 months while warrington gets a couple of handy showcase defences (if he can avoid selby rematch)....then frampton is that bit older, and hes getting older fast.
    or from warringtons point of view maybe selby rematch is bigger and safer.

Ya unfortunately I feel you're corrrect on this front. Warren will see how much money Warrington offers him and won't want to throw it away with a Frampton fight. A defence in Elland Rd by th end of September or sell out the First Direct Arena if it has to be later in the year.
    Meanwhile Frampton will probably be able to do decent numbers in Windsor Park regardless of opponent.

I reckon Kid Galahad has a good chance of being next for one of them, or possibly even Ryan Walsh for Warrington.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭dougm1970

its amazing how kid galahad hasnt been in a big fight yet....not getting younger either.

The Jack vs Stevenson fight was a cracker.

dougm1970 wrote: »
    its amazing how kid galahad hasnt been in a big fight yet....not getting younger either.

Probably because he's a drugs cheat that nobody really cares about, has fought absolutely nobody and isn't a big enough name.

The Jack vs Stevenson fight was a cracker.

Didn't manage to stay up for it. :o I see a lot saying Jack deserved the nod? Will have a watch of this later.

Johner wrote: »
    Didn't manage to stay up for it. :o I see a lot saying Jack deserved the nod? Will have a watch of this later.

I think it was very close. A draw fair enough IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement