Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fight night May 19 Sky and BoxNation: Selby/Warrington and Stevenson/Jack

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

I thought it was extremely close. The Sky team gave the first two to Jack whereas I thought Stevenson won both. That's a four point turnaround. The draw was fair.

After that I was very surprised with Jack in the 10th round. He totally dominated 7-9 with long range boxing and straight punching and was at the point where it looked like he was going to stop Stevenson. Then in the 10th he had a Billy Conn / Joe Louis moment and decided to completely forget what got him into that position and went to the inside allowing Stevenson to land heavy body punches and take the round thereby IMO missing out on the win.

Great fight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

A draw definitely fair. Jack had his moments, but needed to be a bit more forceful in wanting the title...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Think Jack really got his tactics spot on. Stayed out of harms way early, let Stevenson gas and then put it on him late. Very unfortunate he took that body shot out of nowhere in the 10th. He'd have gone on to win if not for that. I actually had Stevenson by a point but zero arguments had it gone either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It was worth staying up for. I though Jack had it in the bag till he let Stevenson back into it in the tenth round. A draw was a fair result in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Interesting day of boxing. First up thought Warrington wanted it more and was definitely helped by Selby's cut and his sluggishness. But if Frampton fights him I can just see another Quigg result. The brits will hype their man as ever and there will be nothing of substance there to justify it. Also their respective opponents tells a story.

And again a judge's competence is called into question. I just dont know how anybody watching could give the fight to Selby even as the reigning belt holder.

Anyway onto local fighter Gary Russell jr for his annual bout! Having seen him last time out I had a night planned with a local lass so not too upset missing it. But despite saying Diaz wouldnt last the 12 I feel it was good for him to get some work in. Great coverage from Showtime as usual and interesting to hear after the second Russell saying to his corner he had hurt his hand. But still his jab, combinations and experience shine through in the latter stages as he got the UD.

I never truly got the feeling that Diaz really believed he was going to walk away with the belt but he was a worthy opponent and can win a belt.

Like Loma Russell has incredibly quick hands but his decision to fight annually is hurting him. However in the interview he confirmed he would love to fight the winner of the LSC v Mares bout but also how his infrequent appearances are down to looking after his body. He did throw 992 punches saturday though!

Gervonta Davis was there and Russell said he would be willing to move up to fight him but I think we would all love to see a rematch with Loma.

Enjoyed the Stevenson v Jack the best as it was very close and felt the draw was justified. Cant make up my mind about Jack as no doubting the talent but he reminds me of DeGale in terms of frustration and sluggishness. I saw him drawing with Bute which was later changed of course and same impression is still there.

I felt he just left this behind him again. He was busier but you would expect that given Stevenson's age and dominated coming down the stretch but then the body punch in the 10th seemed to demoralise him and the Champion was able to hang on although he was out on his feet in the last. Understandably he didn’t want to engage considering the huge left that can cause damage and his inferior reach.

The english referee seemed to be want to be part of the action too and at one stage walked into a punch from Jack but he spoiled it a bit by not letting them fight on the inside.

Talk of a rematch in Vegas wont happen due to Stevenson's past convictions as a pimp! But is there really a market out there for a return?

Advertisement