Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cpu or mobo dead?

Options
  • 19-05-2018 6:08pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm trying to figure out why a mobo is showing no signs of life.

Specs:
    Intel Core i7-7700 3.6 GHz QuadCore 8 MB Cache CPU
    ASUS STRIX Z270F GAMING Motherboard
    Corsair CMK8GX4M1A2400C14R Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4 2400MHz

I have just the mobo 24 and 8 power plugged in, cpu fan is connected. Ram too. Nothing else is connected.
    When I short the power pins nothing at all happens, there are no lights, fan does not move. I tried replacing cmos battery with a known good one. The only sign of life I have seen from the mobo is when there is no cmos battery in and I supply power, a pwr_led flashes.

I've tried with no ram, different ram, different slots. Nothing. Tried a known working fan, nothing. Tested the PSU. I have no way to test if the mobo or cpu is at fault here atm to know which to return, anywhere I can get that done in Dublin? How much would it cost? Perhaps I can get thermal paste and swap some stuff around, a pain to be sure.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Swapped out the cpu for another and still nothing, I'm guessing the mobo at least is fecked so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

May seem silly

But,

Sure PSU is connected right,

Power button not faulty, etc

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Do you have any other ram to test?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

May seem silly

But,

Sure PSU is connected right,

Power button not faulty, etc
    I tried about 100 times so im sure one would have worked :D
    tedpan wrote: »
    Do you have any other ram to test?

Yeah I tested another stick of ram and I also I put the ram and cpu from the faulty mobo into another mobo and that one was still powering up (didnt test if everything actually worked (as the mobo was not in a pc) but the only thing that never powers up is the mobo. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Yeah I tested another stick of ram and I also I put the ram and cpu from the faulty mobo into another mobo and that one was still powering up (didnt test if everything actually worked (as the mobo was not in a pc) but the only thing that never powers up is the mobo.

Ah no, doesn't sound good at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Try this OP

I used it when my mobo was acting up. I found a solution in it!

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

All Eyes On Rafah

Advertisement