Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acquisition of bones?

Options
  • 19-05-2018 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I figure this one would be a good place to start!

I'm interested in collecting animal bones (ethically obtained) and as I'm not in a good spot for looking around for carcasses on my own, I want to do a bit of looking into purchasing some. Unfortunately, it seems that most online shops that I found operate in the US, and I'm not sure where the laws are on having that sort of thing shipped here.

Would there be customs issues, regulations on certain species, etc...or is that just for people looking to sell? Any info would be well appreciated! (Even if it's to point me towards a UK/EU shop that mightn't destroy my wallet.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

What kind of bones you looking to buy? Skulls, bones of specific animals? Animals that aren't native to here? I have a few bones i obtained ethically myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Amphis

Eddie B wrote: »
    What kind of bones you looking to buy? Skulls, bones of specific animals? Animals that aren't native to here? I have a few bones i obtained ethically myself

Skulls, and mostly animals native to here, though a lot of the non-native ones I'm also interested in shouldn't be listed as endangered. (ie. American Robin, American Crow, Stellar's Jay, American Badger etc etc.) Of course, that doesn't mean that they aren't protected or there aren't still restrictions on exporting ones like those...but I don't know much about that at all. Deffo hence the checking beforehand :)

Generally though, I'm more interested in Irish species. I'm not too picky, but am very interested in mustelids and corvidae! Tbh, the most important thing all in all is just that whatever the animal is, it was sourced ethically.

(I'm not sure about the crows here, but am I wrong in thinking that badgers are a protected species? I feel I've read that somewhere...)

Ok have you tried ebay.ie. You can buy skulls on there easy enough. One guy from the UK sells Fox and European Badger skulls. Think he's a taxidermist. Also try etsy. Few people from Europe selling bones on there, especially crow and raven sulls.

What about road kill? Lots of Fox's etc killed on our roads.

Do you want the skulls bleached etc? If your not in a hurry, i could collect a few bits for you, but might be winter by the time i have anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Amphis

Thanks, I'll try those! I feel silly that I didn't check them sooner lol.

Road kill's fine for me personally -- I know a lot of people mightn't agree, but so long as nobody's going around running down foxes on purpose, I don't see why the carcasses couldn't be managed respectfully.

Bleached would be best I think. And I'm in no hurry at all -- that would be really cool! Thank you very much for the offer, I'd love that. It'd be rad to support people within Ireland when it comes to collecting, if at all possible.

I'll certainly keep you in mind. Im still only learning how to do it properly myself. I'll stick up my tiny collection on here, when i get the chance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement