Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviation and Aircraft

Options
  • 19-05-2018 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭

Aviation and Aircraft was a vibrant forum, with users of many backgrounds once partaking. Sadly this has fallen into disarray recently, and I think a recent experience with Moderation goes a good way to explain why.

I fear that moderation on this forum has dwindled to almost who the moderators like, and who they dislike. I have on a previous occasion received a warning for the absurd, revoked here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102974393

The main cause for concern here though, is the recent event. A poster queried what days the new Seattle route would operate on, and I replied with the following :
    "A quick and easy search of the Aer Lingus booking engine shows 4x weekly at Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday."
    This was then noted by the Mod L1011 who cut some of the quote and replied with
    "This was the useful bit of the post, drop the rest please.

EIs site is useless on mobile, particularly the timetables and well over half the usage here is mobile"

I did not dispute the warning, and replied with the following
    "You know there's an app?

I used the app, which I find easier to use than the website even on a desktop. I'm rarely on the computer nowadays, in excess of 90% of my posts are on mobile."

What followed was a post regarding my posting style being taken note of by the mods, and a few posts by users who posted their outrage (perhaps wrongly) at said action for what seemed like no crime at all. Thread was then locked.

Received a sarcastic PM today from a user regarding the issue, which I reported separately.

The thread was reopened within the last hour, with this note made by TrickyD
    Hello everybody,

Firstly, to the regular posters and readers of this forum, apologies for having to close the thread down for a bit, but the derailment got way out of hand and some cooling off was required. We have a great forum with super subject matter and most posters have no issue with following some simple guidelines which ensure its smooth running. It should be noted that we do however, have all sorts of levels of experience and knowledge which needs to respected, and most of the time that's not a problem, but not always.

To last night. To the 3/4 posters who argued with mod stuff on thread, nowhere on this site, bar feedback threads, is that permitted. Every time it derails threads and causes disruption. Another reason is that you only have snapshot which doesn't reflect the bigger picture, which is the situation here. The process for feedback on mod stuff is clearly outlined in the charter. Anything on thread risks sanction, including bans.

To the cause of the problem. @JCX BXC reading back on the DRPs you have been through with me, it is clear that your posting style has not improved at all, not just in the A&A forum but others as well, clearly pointing to you as a persistent problem poster. Too many of your posts end up being reported and this has now come to the attention of some Admins and I get the feeling that sitebans are now a real option. Your usage of the Report Post function to retaliate against others is particularly childish. You really need to start heeding the warnings in your DRPs if you wish to continue posting on this site.

Thread reopened.

Do not respond to this post on thread.

Paragraph three, which I have put in Italics, is what bothers me here. Firstly, I have only ever gone through 1 DRP with TrickyD, and one other with another CMod, in which the latter was successful. Referring to me as a "persistent problem poster" and that my posting style has not improved, I point out that no infraction has been put on my account since October, and that was rather stupid on my behalf. Too many of my posts being reported is also an interesting statistic, considering my posting on said forum has dropped dramatically. The comment referring to me using the report function to retaliate against others is blatantly untrue and infact defamatory. These comments are not moderation standard, but abusive and attempting to attack me as a poster.

Moderation has become very poor, and I think that third paragraph sums up the situation. While I realise moderation is a volunteer role, which I respect immensely, responsible and fair moderation is a duty of each and every moderator, I'm sure all will agree.

I think this really does need to be highlighted, as it is very disappointing. Sucking the life out of a forum isn't a positive thing, and any attempts to improve the situation has failed miserably. I'm not going to engage in an attack on the moderators, as that isn't particularly fair, but I do urge a review of the situation.

I have not had these issues on any other forum, of which I am mainly happy with the moderation. One or two incidents are very different to a persisting issue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The 2 DRPs

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101861257
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103044619 from the Commuting & Transport forum which indicates you have had issues on other forums and your record in Weather is poor too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

I’d like to chime in here. I side with the mods on this one, I remember when you first posted on the aviation forum (under your old name) only a short while ago. You didn’t know an engine from a gearbox and through patience the regular users and mods upskilled you. You have taken this education and rather than being grateful and passing on the knowledge you take a rude and arrogant tone with other posters on the aviation forum (and aviation threads in general). Yesterday is a great example, a new route launched and you managed to get a thread taken off line due to your additude.

I think it’s posters like you who are alienating traffic from the aviation forum.

Advertisement