Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mt Leinster Challenge

Options
  • 19-05-2018 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Rode this today - stunning route, in absolutely incredible weather conditions (apart from the headwind home! but sure it could be worse! :D)

Looked to be a great turnout for it, surprised there wasn't a thread here on it already, apart from an initial one advertising that entries were open for the event - just wondering what people thought of it.....big change with the foodstop at the 50km mark which I thought just did not work and they'll need to revise that for next year.
    Apart from that minor little gripe it was a great event I thought, and was VERY well organised and marshalled the whole way round. Super tough day....made it round faster than last year thanks to hanging on (well...on the non-climbing bits anyway) to a super-strong group that included some racing guys

One of my favourite events on the calendar - so happy to have a day where sun-cream was an essential ingredient. Views back down from Mt.Leinster were just stunning!

Hope there's some photo's soon - did some serious posing wherever I spotted a camera! ha! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Check out Sean Rowe on Facebook for photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Considering the proximity to a place called "Marshalstown" it was kinda ironic to see the total lack of marshalling. We had a serious brake check at a T as no advanced warning and club members went 105 and had to double back as there was nobody directing the split and crappy signage.

Slaney seemed to have their heart in the right place and it was a great day all the same but organizationally poor. Kinda surprised nobody was hospitalised by the whore of a pothole on the first descent that could have been coned off/marshalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Sammo13

Completed the 145km route yesterday, tough day in the saddle, 3 times up Mt Leinster left me in a bad way coming home from Kiltealy to Enniscorthy, longest 15km cycle ever :)
    Thanks to Slaney Cycle Club for organising this event, I know these events take a serious bit of undertaking but few things of note which I thought could have been better -
    1) food stop closed by 2pm was a crazy for all the 145km cyclists, we rolled through Bunclody at 1:55pm and were waved on by Marshalls at the main junction in the town, food stop closed. I'd of course forgot to put a tenner in my pocket so no cash to buy water. 2) Myself and Mick from Gorey (sound fella) cycled on and climbed Mt Leinster for the last time, got to the top and nobody there to give out water, I really thought this was necessary at this stage of the route, there was a enough folk cycling the 145 to at least have stationed open till 3:30pm.
    3) needed a marshall at the junction for the left turn for Bunclody after Kiltealy.
    4) finally the finish was very underwhelming, arrived back to a sparse field, no medal or acknowledgement, just the hat in the goodie bag, not sure this is the best going forward.

The route is class, climbs are tough especially the climb up Corrabut Gap, thought Shay Elliott was tough but that Corrabut Gap is a beast and you have then tackle a headwind to the top of Mt Leinster.. Overall very enjoyable day, recommend it for sure but can be improved..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

There was no water stop the 3rd time we came over mt Leinster, there were loads behind us to come though yet, I was banking on it as there was one there last year, bad form given the hot day. Most marchels were gone by 2pm not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭furyen

food stop was far too early for the 145 km, and on the 2nd decent there a huge hole in the road which was not highlighted guy in front me hit hard... other then that its a good event.

• Advertisement
Advertisement