Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modding on the soccer forum

Options
  • 20-05-2018 4:13am

...on the soccer forum they have superthreads where fans of a particular club contribute and it's considered trolling to go on and bait them.

Now, I'm no fan of Everton, but evidently the mods must positively dislike that club - posters were allowed to go on the thread and constantly question the intelligence and loyalty of the fans in a way that would last about 30 seconds on a ManU or Liverpool superthread.

As far as I can see, the only sanctions handed out were cards for protesting.

And then to add to the problem, their superthread was simply shut down for a few days. Again something that I am certain would not have happened were it ManU, Liverpool or a club that mods like.

It seems almost like collective punishment for being trolled.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

...on the soccer forum they have superthreads where fans of a particular club contribute and it's considered trolling to go on and bait them.

Now, I'm no fan of Everton, but evidently the mods must positively dislike that club - posters were allowed to go on the thread and constantly question the intelligence and loyalty of the fans in a way that would last about 30 seconds on a ManU or Liverpool superthread.

As far as I can see, the only sanctions handed out were cards for protesting.

And then to add to the problem, their superthread was simply shut down for a few days. Again something that I am certain would not have happened were it ManU, Liverpool or a club that mods like.

It seems almost like collective punishment for being trolled.

This does happen without half the hysteria.

pjohnson wrote: »

I don't see it. It doesn't happen on the Leeds one anyway, that's the one I see most frequently.

Can you link posts repeatedly labelling Liverpool or ManU fans stupid on their own superthreads? For comparison.

And if it is the norm, why was the entire thread shut down for analysis. Again, is that common on other superthreads? It's never happened on the Leeds one afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Were the posts reported?

If not the mods may not have seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Were the posts reported?

Several times

If someone locked the United or Liverpool thread for a day because of one condescending troll there would be hell to pay

wally79 wrote: »
    Several times

Fair enough.

Didn't actually realise it was closed, not sure I've seen a Superthread locked down like that before! Maybe there's action being taken in the background?

• Advertisement

What hysteria. This lad (well there are 2 but 1 is a real whopper) has been for months coming in to a forum of a team he is no interest in and constantly repeating the same condescending opinions. It’s a fairly low traffic forum so he is more noticeable than is some other super threads and yet he would have been dealt with very quickly in some of the larger ones. And you can guarantee no mod would have locked the entire Man Utd or Liverpool thread because of one troll

Were the posts reported?

Even reported they obviously didn't breach the charter. A different view isn't generally regarded as trolling.

Even reported they obviously didn't breach the charter. A different view isn't generally regarded as trolling.

It's usually pretty obvious to distinguish the two tbh.

“If you wish to post on a Superthread, please note the following:

1. Respect the thread subject, respect the supporters - You are posting on a thread where the majority of people who read the thread support the team or follow the league. If you post something inflammatory, you will be held accountable”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It's usually pretty obvious to distinguish the two tbh.

I think the times he posted made it clear what was going on and easy to distinguish tbh....no sign of him when Everton were being soundly beaten yet in giving it loads instantly when they scraped a result.

Also is this thread only for the Everton thread issue or the general poor state of modding in the forum? Cos the latter is badly needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Is there a still an end of season feedback thread in soccer? I know Liverpool's season is still ongoing but maybe they could get that thread up and running early, before England win the World Cup this year.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I think boards in general has cut out feedback...and any thread if it did go ahead will have the caveat not to mention modding/specific incidents.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I think the times he posted made it clear what was going on and easy to distinguish tbh....no sign of him when Everton were being soundly beaten yet in giving it loads instantly when they scraped a result.

Also is this thread only for the Everton thread issue or the general poor state of modding in the forum? Cos the latter is badly needed.

There plenty of United regulars who only appear when things go wrong aswell. I'd wager the Pool thread has the same?

There plenty of United regulars who only appear when things go wrong aswell. I'd wager the Pool thread has the same?

He only appears on the rare occasion things went right for Sam Allardyce in particular and tells everyone how much he knows, how he is more than an average fan and that sam is a super manager about to turn us into an expansive football playing team

And now sam is gone all Everton fans are idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It’s the tone and manner of that poster that riled people up. No one minds a bit of lively debate and different points of view, once it’s expressed in an intelligent and respectful manner. But this individual has a posting style where winding people up the wrong way appears to be the main aim, getting some perverse enjoyment out of it? Some people are easily self amused I guess.

Regularly implying other posters are idiots, preaching as though he’s blessed with some greater intelligence than “average” (this is especially comical tbh), etc. He even popped into the Liverpool thread a few weeks ago with a lame attempt at getting the Liverpool fans onside with his silly agenda - which was easily called out as a lame trolling attempt. It was interesting that he got carded in there very quickly but gets away with it in the other threads...

It’s been going on for months and if a few of the Everton fans lost their cool I don’t blame them. It’s been a wretched season for them and they didn’t need that nonsense going on in their own thread completely unchecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

yeah right - you in particular have enjoyed watching our thread descend into a car crash - if I headed to the united thread constantly goading you about yesterday I'd be rightly told where to go - no problem outsiders coming to our thread offering differing constructive opinions - but non stop it becomes tiresome , particurlry when we are then told we are uneducated for not agreeing on OUR forum . Finally look who thanked our thread being closed - objective achieved - anyway the Everton thread has become really tiresome over the past 6 months. Hopefully with a new manger it can become what it set out to be .

Rightly or wrongly they’ll get a pass because they claim to support the club (although I’d argue that both threads have several posters pretending to be fans). If a poster who doesn’t support the club is picking and choosing when to go into the thread like that it’s clear what they’re up to.

It’s the same with the Celtic fans piling into the Rangers thread for a bit of ‘discussion’.

Turtyturd wrote: »

I think it seems to be in the basis of whether the mod likes Liverpool or ManU and how the issue bothers them accordingly.

As I said in the OP, there is no way either would have happened on their superthreads, either the trolling and goading allowed in the first place or the thread shut down.

You’re half right that it wouldn’t happen on the United or Liverpool threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Just had a read there. Conor is completely right.

The mods are disgrace for that behaviour, whether or not there is something being done in the background Rd should have picked up a ban.

Can you just card people for baiting/beings dicks and leave it at that. Rugby Forum is run way better, mods have integrity and balls.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

What is Feedback

This forum is for feedback on Boards.ie related issues. It is a place for you to comment and air your opinion on issues that have a site-wide relevance, or offer suggestions on ways to improve user experience on the site.

This is a forum-specific issue and as pointed out there is an annual Soccer Forum feedback thread at the end of the regular season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement