Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killakee Road

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Making it one way, one day a week would probably be a disaster and see more accidents. You'd have the chancers who will take the risk regardless as they do (that's cycling and driving).

You may just have some people who the other 6 days go up and down and are then on autopilot.
    You have emergency vehicles needing to get up and down (I know they can go against traffic anyway).
    People getting annoyed at having to slow down because of cyclists are not going to enjoy taking a longer route that will also slow them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

1bryan wrote: »
    you do, quite regularly.

I know, that's my point.

If you put up bollards in the middle of the road, you then wouldn't which is what I was saying, without it driving over all them.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Hurrache wrote: »
    I know, that's my point.

If you put up bollards in the middle of the road, you then wouldn't which is what I was saying, without it driving over all them.

ah apologies, I was still perplexed about the reasoning for this thread being opened.

100% agree with you then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ah apologies, I was still perplexed about the reasoning for this thread being opened.

100% agree with you then.

There is definitely an issue with frustrated drivers dangerously overtaking cyclists on climbs on narrow roads. If you go up via L.Brae on a summers weekend there will be a pretty constant stream of cyclists climbing and a high likelihood of others descending. This basically means that as a motorist your options are to either drive up that road at cycling speeds or take another route. Third option, which I came across a couple of weeks ago first hand, is to commit a dangerous overtake and occupy the space of the descending cyclist risking a serious accident. Not sure what the solution is here other than to tell motorists to drive carefully and expect delays and tell cyclists to exercise caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

smacl wrote: »
    There is definitely an issue with frustrated drivers dangerously overtaking cyclists on climbs on narrow roads. If you go up via L.Brae on a summers weekend there will be a pretty constant stream of cyclists climbing and a high likelihood of others descending. This basically means that as a motorist your options are to either drive up that road at cycling speeds or take another route. Third option, which I came across a couple of weeks ago first hand, is to commit a dangerous overtake and occupy the space of the descending cyclist risking a serious accident. Not sure what the solution is here other than to tell motorists to drive carefully and expect delays and tell cyclists to exercise caution.

I would have thought 80% or more of the drivers up there were out for a scenic drive and not necessarily heading anywhere in particular. That being the case you think they'd be glad of the extra time to enjoy the scenery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I would have thought 80% or more of the drivers up there were out for a scenic drive and not necessarily heading anywhere in particular. That being the case you think they'd be glad of the extra time to enjoy the scenery.

Exactly what I was going to post. Any time I've headed over it by car I'm in no hurry to get anywhere, and it's hardly on somebody's commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The part I don't like is when you get the motorist tailing you closely then as they overtake they put the foot down and you get a few lung fulls of black diesel fumes!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I think the problem is invariably with the few rather than the many, where the few are enough to cause serious accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

One particular problem around my way (and probably countrywide) is the prevalence of drivers taking a sort of rally/racing line around corners. Trying to straighten every bend to keep their speed up.

Your friend sounds like a very considerate driver so just let the impatient drivers sod off

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On a related note, I would like to ban people from visiting Bray seafront at the weekends. It is my only day to get out and get bits and pieces and driving or cycling slowly because some people want to get out and enjoy it is a PITA.

My car is an automatic so it is fine but my bike has multiple gears and I am wearing them down quicker with all the changing, as well as wearing my brakepads down a sight quicker as well.

it Quintuples my driving time or doubles / triples my cycling time. Other peoples enjoyment of life should not supersede my convenience or time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Scenery is only interesting to some if it goes past in a blur....
    But you are right, speeding up and down scenic roads in a car defeats the purpose of the scenic, relaxed drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

You would, wouldn't you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Unfortunately making the road one way or indeed restricting cycling would be rather unenforceable. I guess one potential option for your friend might be to drive out slightly towards the center of the lane, preventing the impatient drivers from overtaking though that may cause more problems than solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Or hang back a car length or more from the cyclist rear wheel to make the total overtake distance less 'chance-arm-able'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it'd require infrastructure and land acquisition, but passing points sound like the most obvious solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

it'd require infrastructure and land acquisition, but passing points sound like the most obvious solution.

That's true. The trouble is the impatient immortal drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 n1ey

Lumen wrote: »
    That sounds sensible.

That sounds a lot like the "it's impossible to drive my car at 30kph" complaints that came with the new city centre speed limits.

There's no such thing as "burning out a gearbox".

People with constant shifting are likely to wear out the clutch plate. In an automatic car you can drive, now, considerably longer than a manual car without any heavy overhauls. Fuel mileage is higher in many types of automatics, now.

I can not figure out Ireland with hybrids and fake manuals. Time to move into automatic transmissions. With road safety as an issue one would think that the telephone in the left hand and the shifter in the right hand is just asking for trouble.

bill

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

n1ey wrote: »
    People with constant shifting are likely to wear out the clutch plate. In an automatic car you can drive, now, considerably longer than a manual car without any heavy overhauls. Fuel mileage is higher in many types of automatics, now.

I can not figure out Ireland with hybrids and fake manuals. Time to move into automatic transmissions. With road safety as an issue one would think that the telephone in the left hand and the shifter in the right hand is just asking for trouble.

bill

Phone use while driving is already illegal (regardless of hand used!), it just needs to be better enforced. However, if you're trying to drive the majority of cars on Irish roads with the gear lever in your right hand, frankly you're doing it wrong! :pac:

cython wrote: »
    if you're trying to drive the majority of cars on Irish roads with the gear lever in your right hand, frankly you're doing it wrong! :pac:

The Dutch Rudder?:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

n1ey wrote: »
    People with constant shifting are likely to wear out the clutch plate.

Being stuck behind cyclists and alternating 1st/2nd gears is not much different from driving bumper-to-bumper in rush hour traffic. I don't hear anyone complaining about their clutch then.

I don't think there is a solution to this problem really. If you live along a route favored by cyclists at the weekend, it's really the same as living in a commuter rat-run or having people "park and ride" in your estate during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Being stuck behind cyclists and alternating 1st/2nd gears is not much different from driving bumper-to-bumper in rush hour traffic. I don't hear anyone complaining about their clutch then.

Drivers of 1990s supercars (e.g. Lamborghini Diabolo) often report back pain from clutch use in slow-moving traffic. It's a problem I've yet to experience in my 13 year old Honda MPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

To note that if the Hellfire Club redevelopment goes ahead, they are planning to put in a footpath on some of the approach roads with a roundabout at the entrance to the Hellfire Club Carpark.

This will result in a narrower road with increased traffic

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Some redevelopment there is badly needed. Most weekends you've got a whole load of people parking on the road outside the Hellfire club, virtually making it one way for a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

alentejo wrote: »
    To note that if the Hellfire Club redevelopment goes ahead, they are planning to put in a footpath on some of the approach roads with a roundabout at the entrance to the Hellfire Club Carpark.

You just reminded me of all the posters I saw on a spin up that way last week. Among the sea of "Vote No", the "HELL NO!" one stood out the most.

alentejo wrote:

Can the road get narrower!

Advertisement