Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CyclingWorks Dublin - employer drive to get infrastructure built

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

good idea! Will share.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Would be even better if the CEOs of major multinationals would contribute an extra 1% corporation tax to help pay for infrastructure, after all it will benefit some of there employee's who come over here to work from Europe and wonder where all the cycle lanes are that they had back home...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Good idea, Tenzor. Ask them, please!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the CEO where i work is a triathlete. she'd probably want to swim to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Good idea, Tenzor. Ask them, please!

Not sure I have Jeff Bezos' number! :P

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Not sure I have Jeff Bezos' number! :P

Here you go:

https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-contact-Jeff-Bezos

Right, the website is up - go to it, get your CEOs to download the templates and send the letters off, cc'ing Dublin CyclingWorks

https://dublin.cyclingworks.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Wood

Edited due to being completely the wrong answer

Trinity College Dublin, Cycling Ireland (obv) and Digit are in already now.

Fabulous work being done on the website, it's evolving as you look.

• Advertisement

The website now has separate links on the front page - one for employees, the other for employers. If you're talking to your boss, direct him to the four parallel lines at the top right - they lead to templates for letters, among other things:

https://dublin.cyclingworks.org/

Anyone talked to the boss yet? We're getting strong interest from some companies and really want to launch into this. Support from Boardsies would be great. If you talk to your CEO, say what the result was!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

last time i talked to the CEO here, i asked her to sponsor ras na mban. she might get bored of me asking her to support cycling...

last time i talked to the CEO here, i asked her to sponsor ras na mban. she might get bored of me asking her to support cycling...

Show her the slide show. https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/e/2PACX-1vR6cougHvt1vaqYQ_KjNZEX27wSqbhX5_vIcFauN44k-Jd2eYOYzFRjbJOPOeA32B68kqZ4oH3r-LTg/pub?start=true&loop=false&delayms=5000&slide=id.g37d5cd6b18_0_0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Lots of civil servants cycle, would be great if you could get support from them

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

Sent the slide show onto my boss. Got back to me straight away saying they'd be delighted to contribute. :)

Fantastic! Get them sending off those letters!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I 100% support cycling but what's the point of advocating for more of the same crap infrastructure that's already in place?

segregated lanes inevitably cede right of way at most junctions, or go wandering off somewhere different to the roads at those junctions...

I mean just look at the utter nonsense proposed for Sandyford at the roundabout...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057863764

I 100% support cycling but what's the point of advocating for more of the same crap infrastructure that's already in place?

segregated lanes inevitably cede right of way at most junctions, or go wandering off somewhere different to the roads at those junctions...

I mean just look at the utter nonsense proposed for Sandyford at the roundabout...

The Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network is an excellent plan, though. Sure, it'll need tweaking, but it was produced by people who really know their Dublin and really know their cycling and their road design (including the guy who played the piano man in The Commitments, by the way!)

Here's the network plan: https://www.nationaltransport.ie/publications/transport-planning/gda-cycle-network-plan/

On the Dublin Cyclingworks page, here are the two most essential links:
    a slide show about why CEOs should support this:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/e/2PACX-1vR6cougHvt1vaqYQ_KjNZEX27wSqbhX5_vIcFauN44k-Jd2eYOYzFRjbJOPOeA32B68kqZ4oH3r-LTg/pub?start=true&loop=false&delayms=5000&slide=id.g37d5cd6b18_0_8

and templates for letters for CEOs of different kinds of businesses to write:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BAHcnEy4IZaF_xmE10yx1awPx6zJtdEy

i have to find out who the new PR person is where we live, because if they can even just put some pressure on the council to replace that POS cycle path on leopardstown road, that would be A Good Thing.

i have to find out who the new PR person is where we live, because if they can even just put some pressure on the council to replace that POS cycle path on leopardstown road, that would be A Good Thing.

Should really move this to a different thread - don't want to clutter this thread, want to keep those templates and the slide show prominent.

But a request - if you're writing to your (Dublin) council asking for infrastructure, can you cc the request to Dublin Cycling, who are collecting reports?

Kevin O'Sullivan is Public Domain Officer for the Dublin City Council South East Area

Best way to make requests might be through the local area office at
    http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-your-council-your-area/south-east-area

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network is an excellent plan, though. Sure, it'll need tweaking, but it was produced by people who really know their Dublin and really know their cycling and their road design (including the guy who played the piano man in The Commitments, by the way!)

Sorry, Rechuchote but I have to disagree with you, and agree with Cookie on this (even if myself and Cookie don’t agree on the solution overall).

Fair play to the work you guys are putting into CyclingWorks but please, please, please don’t suggest the quality issues are resolved or that they will resolve themselves anytime soon.

The Cycle Manual, Rural Cycle Scheme Design, Manual for Urban Roads and Streets, Traffic Signs Manual etc all allow too much nonsense to be continued, these documents do not allow many types of Dutch design and instead opt for a strange and failed mix of Danish, UK and Irish type of designs to continue.

But I don’t really blame the individuals involved in cycling design in this country — I think it’s mainly a political choice and in many respects they have for years been hitting a wall in terms of what they have been allowed to do both at local level and by departments, agencies, TDs, councillors and interest groups etc fighting against doing cycling right. The space, the priority etc.

I’ve been working on this for years from the documenting Dublin’s / Ireland’s cycle lanes thread on this board to looking at the details of projects for years (including recent ones) and launching cyclingforall.ie.

If more funding comes without people pushing for better standards to be tied into that clearly and with less loop holes etc, the status quo will continue. The status quo might be better than cycle route design from 10 years ago but it’s nowhere good enough for cycling for all.

Well, we can go on as we are, with the number of cyclists doubling and doubling again on roads shared with cars, trucks, buses, coaches, motorbikes, tractors and drays. Or we can try to get the plan that our National Transport Authority has provided built.

Once the principle of building cycling infrastructure is established, obviously it will be useful to talk about better and better design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Lots of civil servants cycle, would be great if you could get support from them

Their support would probably have to come through the unions, which is not a bad idea.

Dalata, who operate 15 hotels in Dublin and employ 2,250 staff, have joined in asking Transport for the Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network to be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Well, we can go on as we are, with the number of cyclists doubling and doubling again

Oh, the humanity!

Cycling Without Age are in!

Well, we can go on as we are, with the number of cyclists doubling and doubling again on roads shared with cars, trucks, buses, coaches, motorbikes, tractors and drays. Or we can try to get the plan that our National Transport Authority has provided built.

You’re presenting the options as if funding of projects as part of the GDA Cycle Network to date has resulted in designs which don’t include mixing with buses, cars, and trucks etc, when this clearly isn’t the case, and people have had to work hard to cover and campaign to ensure high-quality designs are used in key planned projects.

It seems like you might also misunderstand what GDA Cycle Network is or the amount of work needed between that network plan and the issues of dealing space and traffic circulation, including traffic reduction.

These are issues that are even a struggle sometimes in the Netherlands — some apparently pro-cycling Dutch cities are grasping the issue, but other cities or their regional governments aren’t. Here and there there’s often a pretence that it’s not really an issue or that it’s not up for discussion.

You’re also speaking as if the doubling of cycling numbers has happened in a vacuum... or maybe the narrative that cyclists are cycling despite the conditions has gone too far? In any case, while the provision for cycling is far too low, the reduction of space and time for cars, and some improvements for cycling are two of the main driving factors behind the increase in cycling.

Incremental changes have been happening slowly but surly for a long time — more bus lanes with some introduced without any coverage (ie Harts Corner to Phibsborough; Thomas Street / James’s Street) and other more high profile upgrades (quays, Pearse Street), Luas routes and extensions, new pedestrian crossings, the replacement of car parking with things like car club spaces, DublinBike stations, bicycle racks, public realm schemes etc etc

You can get a fewer cars and still be far from cycling for all.
    Once the principle of building cycling infrastructure is established, obviously it will be useful to talk about better and better design.

The principle of building cycling infrastructure is well established, what’s not yet established is the principle of giving enough space for cycling to allow for cycling for all or even just to allow safe junctions.

There’s examples of what you seem to be suggesting in Amsterdam — some streets not designed well enough. The result? The streets left alone for 20+ years and people dead because of the designs.

Some say no cycling infrastructure is better than rubbish cycling infra... half decent cycling infrastructure might pose as large or in some cases a larger danger.

You’re also shooting your self in the foot by aiming low than needed —the faster a high quality network can be built, the more likely it will be easier to keep building it. If the first few major routes built are not suitable for all, that will be used against building more (you can even see that in London where there’s mixed quality, it would be worse if there was lower quality).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

monument wrote: »
    Some say no cycling infrastructure is better than rubbish cycling infra... half decent cycling infrastructure might pose as large or in some cases a larger danger.

I very much agree with the sentiment that no infrastructure is better than poor or even mediocre infrastructure.

It discourages new people from trying twice. It also encourages a subset of people to become angry with cyclist who rightly don't use the sub standard infrastructure.

I am still very much of the opinion that if you improved driver behaviour on the roads, most issues would disappear. That won't happen through infrastructure (look at the videos of people driving and parking on two way cycle lanes on the canal and in the Phoenix Park), but through hardcore (and cost neutral) enforcement.

Red Light Cameras, Average Speed cameras, yellow box cameras and bus lane cameras. Combine this with CCTV that can be accessed in case of a dispute which is identified at a dangerous interaction zone. 99% of issues would be solved in three months. Warning people ends up in the same issue as we have with the speed cameras, people slow to the limit in designated areas until they learn where the vans always park. Blanket average speed cameras in cities solves this. When people can't rush, they will be less inclined to rush.

What part of the Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network Plan is poor infrastructure?

• Advertisement

What part of the Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network Plan is poor infrastructure?

I’ll ask an easier question:

Out of all the sections of the GDA Cycle Network funded to date in the areas of Dublin City, DLR, Fingal and SDCC... which projects stand out as high quality?

Advertisement