Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes shop and save vouchers

Options
  • 20-05-2018 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭

Started using the dunnes shop and save vouchers for the last few weeks and I think it’s all a fancy gimmick to make customers feel like they are saving €10 in every €50 but really the groceries are more expensive to start with
    Obviously they have special offers which are good value but all supermarkets have these, I would like to hear other people opinions on this

The internet isn’t for everyone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

It's positioned as a more upmarket supermarket than it used to be because it cant compete with lidl or aldi on price. It's cheaper than super valu, which have been taking the same approach. Don't know how it compares to tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's positioned as a more upmarket supermarket than it used to be because it cant compete with lidl or aldi on price. It's cheaper than super valu, which have been taking the same approach. Don't know how it compares to tesco.

The wife reckons overall it works out cheaper than Tesco ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Myself and my husband moved from shopping in SuperValu to Dunnes because of the shop and save vouchers. We didn’t find it more expensive and I think Dunnes do more special offers than our local SuperValu. Obviously at times we have to spend more to get up to the 50 Euro or 100 Euro mark but we buy store cupboard ingredients or stuff for the freezer so it’s stuff that will get used at some stage. It’s all about planning your weekly shop to take the best advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I used to shop 100% in Dunnes but the prices have definitely cmoved up over the past two years. I am lucky that I have a range of supermarkets near me. Dunnes no longer stock one item which was a staple and large part of my weekly shop so I often buy the special offers (that I need) in Dunnes (maybe 5 X washing powder, largest cornflakes etc) to spend my €50 and then buy the needed item and other groceries in Tesco using my €10 off voucher. I don't think it's any cheaper than Tesco (which I used to hate, and now only dislike) but I do hate the difficulty of returning problem grocery items to Dunnes - once they tried to make me return it directly to the producer (until I threatened to leave my €100+ trolley full of shopping at the customer service for them to replace on shelves); another time I complained re strawberries - a short while later, a very nice gentleman turned up on my doorstep with voucher for Dunnes in compensation - the gentleman (which he was) was from Keelings and Dunnes had made him drive out to me to compensate me (for what was- possibly, I admit I don't know) - a Dunnes storage problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Prices in Dunnes are static to cover the promotion.
    Even basics are expensive.
    Aldi&Lidl are leading the price war, Tesco are following.
    Dunnes & Supervalu remain expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Only buy their specials and their own brand. Just dont get tempted by other things... and know whats in your other supermarkets!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

gozunda wrote: »
    The wife reckons overall it works out cheaper than Tesco ...

I completely disagree. Staples are dearer in Dunnes.

Only think that i think is comparable are branded goods. With a 10 euro off and a basket of branded goods, you could make a saving in dunnes v tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I really don't see how Tesco are better value than Dunnes. Many of the products I buy Dunnes are much more likely to have a special offer on it on an ongoing basis and branded products I find that they are more likely to be cheaper than Tesco if there is anything in it but that can go either way.

Where Tesco might have the edge is the bigger range of their own branded (maybe less than everyday products) than Dunnes. An example might be biros - whereas Tesco might have their own brand biros which are substancially cheap compared to Bic biros then Dunnes only have the Bic. Staying with the same example more likely than not the Bic might be more expensive in Tesco I would find though.

Supervalu, rip of merchants, although they have some very nice fresh produce to be fair - no way would I do a weekly shop there though.

Was bemused by my aunt there recently who would have always done her weekly shop in Dunnes down through the years - very brand loyal - would have always bought the branded products such as Lyons tea, bisto, Kerrygold, Denny sausages etc. Then she went to Aldi recently and bought their own store products and started complaining how Dunnes were seriously expensive by comparison - notwithstanding that I would have never seen her buy Dunnes own branded tea, sausages etc. which might generally be on a par with Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I really don't see how Tesco are better value than Dunnes.
    If you go in with no shopping list and are not picky then I can fully see how people would consider tesco to be better value.

I can not remember the last time, if any time, I saw a price in dunnes that I was really shocked at, and emailing friends & family about. I do shop in tesco a lot more but never saw anything close to it in dunnes.

Many of the products I buy Dunnes are much more likely to have a special offer on it on an ongoing basis
    If it is ongoing I would not consider it special in the slightest, it's normal.

Advertisement