Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2018 stage 15: Tolmezzo – Sappada 176 km

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Dumoulin getting done over here. Looks like its just a case of small climbers against a top time trialist. Yates, though, looks like he'll lose less than a minute in the TT.

Don't know what to make of Froome.

Yeah, you could explain Froomes non performance to his pre race crash. But he won yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Poor Pozzovivo looks like he is getting pneumonia during that interview

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Also, froome was gapped on the descent, right before the last categorised climb, which was weird. When they started the climb there was a group of 8/9 ahead of froome and no other sky people to be seen. He was doing the work on the front himself initially for a while, getting nowhere, before poels appeared.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Roche DNF

godtabh wrote: »
    Roche DNF

Didn't start today as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,369 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Eurosport said he didn't start but BMC say he made it to the feed zone and abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,369 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Eurosport said he didn't start but BMC say he made it to the feed zone and abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Has Aru made it yet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

DDC1990 wrote: »

Roche’s tweet said DNF

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Aru should of stayed with Astana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Aru should of stayed with Astana

He might want to do the Tour now and possibly interfere with Dan's plans.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Remember that Nicos brother is very sick again. Wonder if this is part of the reason?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Yates now 2'11" ahead of Dumoulin...
    That might be enough to even keep him in pink after the ITT!! Yates definitely big favorite now to win overall

Barring a crash, it's over IMO.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

retalivity wrote: »
    Also, froome was gapped on the descent, right before the last categorised climb, which was weird. When they started the climb there was a group of 8/9 ahead of froome and no other sky people to be seen. He was doing the work on the front himself initially for a while, getting nowhere, before poels appeared.

I didn't think it was weird at all. The last rainy day Froome couldn't go uphill in the wet. Froome can descend well in the right circumstances, if he's at the front or alone in the dry. Throw a bit of rain in and he's like Bambi on ice.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Remember that Nicos brother is very sick again. Wonder if this is part of the reason?

May explain some of the tweets in response to his. I didnt realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭WMP

SNIP

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't remember a grand tour in the last few years where a GC leader would just launch off the front long before the finish to gain big chunks of time.

Maybe that's because they haven't needed to because they've been stronger TTers.

This is the sort of performance some expected from Quintana before he turned out to be a bit crap and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

Snip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I don't even know what astrex is but this a great race to watch.

He's a skinny climber, the Giro is full of skinny climber climbs, why wouldn't he he be gaining time? Especially when as a skinny climber he will lose shedloads of time tomorrow in the TT?

Now if he doesn't lose shedloads of time tomorrow in the TT I will of course google astrex...

In the meantime it is playing out as a super exciting race. Tom Dumoulin is some man to get back to that group and take bonus seconds. They are all pure racers. I love it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mod Note: Snipped some comments for doping speculation. Any more and there'll be some holidays for some. Seasonal reminder thread has been restickied too

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056898013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

What was going on behind Yates to allow him to surge away:

Dumoulin blasts squabbling rivals as Yates rides away
    Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2018/05/giro-ditalia/froome-dumoulin-bow-yates_466895#W11Kv2SmrJ0VPq4h.99

The Mitchelton-Scott captain attacked late to drop a struggling Chris Froome (Sky) and then poured on the gas to further distance his most direct GC rivals. Tom Dumoulin (Sunweb) was livid at the finish line after other riders in the chase group refused to contribute to his satisfaction.

“I don’t give a damn at this point. I’m totally f**cked now,” Dumoulin stewed. “I had to dig so deep to stay with those other riders after Yates’ attack. And in the end it didn’t even matter, cause everybody there was just taking the piss. If I immediately started riding by myself, I would have lost a lot less time on Yates. Because of them taking the piss I lose a lot more.”

Dumoulin himself looked to have made a decent effort to get back on when he was distanced very late on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Surely that's just bike racing? Why didn't he just ride to watts as he does to limit losses?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

dahat wrote: »
    Surely that's just bike racing? Why didn't he just ride to watts as he does to limit losses?

That's what he said and what he did. His gripe was that if the others had rode inna similar, more positive manner, then the gap would have been less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭flatty

Lumen wrote: »
    I don't remember a grand tour in the last few years where a GC leader would just launch off the front long before the finish to gain big chunks of time.

Maybe that's because they haven't needed to because they've been stronger TTers.

This is the sort of performance some expected from Quintana before he turned out to be a bit crap and boring.
    Or clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭flatty

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    dahat wrote: »

That's what he said and what he did. His gripe was that if the others had rode inna similar, more positive manner, then the gap would have been less.
    Why should they drag him back though. Imo he's behaving like a spoilt child. I hope Yates beats him.

flatty wrote: »
    Or clean.
    That's pro cycling. The perception is you're either crap or doping. Or Sagan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Lumen wrote: »

While I agree about him not jumping off the front ,I think the crap comment is in a bit harsh. He has won grand tours and runner up many times so deserves some kudos for that.

While I agree about him not jumping off the front ,I think the crap comment is in a bit harsh. He has won grand tours and runner up many times so deserves some kudos for that.
    Good point, he has won twice as many Grand Tours as 41 year old Chris Horner.

I stand by the boring comment though. He's even more boring than Team Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Who's the Irish guy who's started popping up on the backstage pass videos on stage 14 &15?

Advertisement