Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RDF?

Options
  • 20-05-2018 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi,

So was wondering, is the Reserve DF do-able when in university? How much of a devotion is it? Im not 100% sure on what military I want to join but the reserves while in university sounds like something I would like to do before I join a military full time...

Just wondering if anyone here does this during university and is it too much to do at the same time?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

My eldest did it, no probs. Came out of uni with an honours degree and nice bit of pocket money from doing the RDF optional extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Absolutely, training is typically two hours on an evening midweek, occasional weekends and a few full time courses during the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 preacher2

My eldest did it, no probs. Came out of uni with an honours degree and nice bit of pocket money from doing the RDF optional extras.

Brilliant thanks!

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Absolutely, training is typically two hours on an evening midweek, occasional weekends and a few full time courses during the summer

Great to know thanks a lot.

I know I have received my original answer however I am now wondering if reserve training differs from permanent training? How would a reservist do 17 weeks of pure training if they have a job or university to attend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

preacher2 wrote: »
    I know I have received my original answer however I am now wondering if reserve training differs from permanent training? How would a reservist do 17 weeks of pure training if they have a job or university to attend?

They dont.

As the answer above, it's 2 hours a week with some weekends. In the summer there is a 2 week camp, then back to 2 hrs a week.

They dont.

As the answer above, it's 2 hours a week with some weekends. In the summer there is a 2 week camp, then back to 2 hrs a week.

Ah I see. Was just confused as the main website says training is the same as permanent DF training which I assumed they meant the introduction/basic training which is 17 weeks...

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

preacher2 wrote: »
    Ah I see. Was just confused as the main website says training is the same as permanent DF training which I assumed they meant the introduction/basic training which is 17 weeks...

Thanks

No problem.

I was in the FCA (The RDF predecesor) 20 years ago, granted things have changed but it took almost a year to complete Recruit training.

Each block of training requires a specific number of hours to be alloted to it, followed by a testing period.

I'm not sure if the RDF exactly mirrors the PDF Recruit training syllabus. It may cover the basics, im not sure if certain elements are omitted due to Instructor availability and training time.

A PDF Recruit will generally cover 8 to 12 classroom hours a day, within reason. An RDF Recruit wil generally cover 2 hours a week, its a longer process.

Hopefully someone with recent RDF experience will be able to clarify more.

Best of luck

Advertisement