Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun cream

• 20-05-2018 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Heading off on our first holiday with 16 month old. I’m looking for a sun cream that is factor 50 or higher, you need to apply once or twice a day max, and that will withstand lots of time in the pool.

Any tips?

He’s blonde and super pale, so I’ll be covering him with swimsuit/hat as much as I can too.

Also, speaking of hats, anyone know where to find the ones with the bit of fabric down the back of them which covers their necks?? I can only seem to find baseball caps around.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

They have these ones in next at the moment. I think they are made out of the same material as the swimsuits.

http://www.next.ie/en/style/st221782#150468

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

P20 but the factor 50 version...apply once in morning and let it soak in. We had plain old lidl factor 50 for top up later after a long time in the pool etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Boots have a Soltan Once Kids Water Play Sun Cream Spf50 which I found very good for pool time

I also love La Roche-Posay Anthelios Dermo Kids Sun Lotion SPF50

I think both have UVA and UVB protection

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I use Aldi suncream which has UVA and UVB and is super cheap. I don’t trust those once a day ones for little kids skin. Imagine if they didn’t work, had rubbed off with towel etc and the child got burnt? It doesn’t bear thinking about. Get a couple of full body uv suits so you only need to apply cream to hands and legs. Bumptobeyond.ie and Rainbow Kids Boutique have great hats with uv protection too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I second the hats from Bump to Beyond - they’re excellent and always nice to support such a small company.

I personally wouldn’t trust the once a day formulations, with swimming, drying etc I just prefer to reapply often and use a UV suit. Soltan and Aldi are the only brands to have full 5* protection through their whole range I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I use the minimum sun cream factor possible, and prefer to stay in the shade with children.  Reapply lower factor suncream more often. Children's skin can be quite sensitive, and some of the higher factors we found caused excema on our toddlers, redness due to possible pore blockages, or reactions to ingredients. 
    15 -> 30 range is about as high as we go, and prefer to find shade, use hats, umbrellas, keep light clothes on etc. 
    This list, we try to follow. 
    https://www.skincancer.org/prevention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

I used this on my children's skin in Portugal in 25c heat recently. Highly recommend it as they don't so much have a freckle after it. I just applied it twice a day and it did the job.

https://www.laroche-posay.ie/baby/range/anthelios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

The La Roche Posay 50 + one is brilliant. You can get a few versions. Look out for wet skin one. Which is great for when they get in + out of pool. Make sure you get an all in one swimsuit with factor 40+ built in. This will cover 90% of body. Similarly the long hat aswell. Mothercare + bigger boots stock both. They is no way you can only apply it once or twice. You just need to keep topping up + keep in shade a good bit aswell. We did all this last summer + 1 year old didn't get any sunburn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

I wouldn't recommend Soltan brand. Tried a few times + have got sunburnt + that's with a high factor so wouldn't risk it for my child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Parasol is brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭chocfan

I use Aldi suncream which has UVA and UVB and is super cheap. I don’t trust those once a day ones for little kids skin. Imagine if they didn’t work, had rubbed off with towel etc and the child got burnt? It doesn’t bear thinking about. Get a couple of full body uv suits so you only need to apply cream to hands and legs. Bumptobeyond.ie and Rainbow Kids Boutique have great hats with uv protection too.

Saw an empty slot on the shelves in my local Aldi today where the suncream should be-obviously flew out the door with the great weather last week so waiting for it to come back in

Anne-cordelia, I presume you've found it fine? I buy lots of stuff in Aldi but always got in the habit of buying the more expensive sun creams especially for my kids (typical totally pale Irish skin) but I couldn't believe how cheap these were and am definitely interested in trying them. I'm probably just getting sucked in by the marketing of the other ones!!!

Anybody else ever tried the Aldi ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We've used the Aldi ones for the past few summers, I buy a load of bottles when they first appear. The factor 30 is what we use and reapply every couple of hours. No burns and even with sensitive skin there's been no reaction. Would highly recommend and AFAIK its well regarded in the likes of WHICH? tests too.
    We would also have a few of the UV tops and all over swimsuits on the go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Ms2011

The Aldi sun cream is one of the best, 5 star UVA creams on the market, remarkable for the price.
    My only tip would be to strip the child down to apply & let it dry for 5 mins or so otherwise it does stain clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I used this on my children's skin in Portugal in 25c heat recently. Highly recommend it as they don't so much have a freckle after it. I just applied it twice a day and it did the job.

https://www.laroche-posay.ie/baby/range/anthelios

We used this too. Great stuff. We applied twice a day and had full arm uv suits and hate and was perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

chocfan wrote: »
    Saw an empty slot on the shelves in my local Aldi today where the suncream should be-obviously flew out the door with the great weather last week so waiting for it to come back in

Anne-cordelia, I presume you've found it fine? I buy lots of stuff in Aldi but always got in the habit of buying the more expensive sun creams especially for my kids (typical totally pale Irish skin) but I couldn't believe how cheap these were and am definitely interested in trying them. I'm probably just getting sucked in by the marketing of the other ones!!!

Anybody else ever tried the Aldi ones?
    It’s perfect. I used it on baby and toddlers. Now I do prefer to keep baby in the shade but none of my kids have ever burned. It’s got one of the best ratings for uva and uvb protection. I felt the same as you re price but I did a lot of research. We are conditioned to think more expensive is better so it’s hard to believe!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

The only gripe i have with the Aldi cream is that it takes so long to absorb. Babies don't stay still long enough.
    The La Roche is the winner in this house too. Don't know if it justifies the pricetag when you compare to the Aldi but two big benefits are that it absorbs into the skin quickly and if it accidentally gets into the eyes it doesn't sting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

We find the la roche posay stuff excellent but I’m tempted to try the ALDI cream next.

Advertisement