Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying, off on stress

Options
  • 20-05-2018 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello there,
    I'm a civil servant that had to leave work due to bullying. My doctor has given we a cert so I can take a break from work. I'm sure she will extend it as I was in a bad way with her in her clinic. I can't go to work as the environment is toxic. I'm not sure when I will be strong enough to go back as the bullying has gone on for years. Has anyone been in a similar situation, I'm concerned about how long I will get paid when I'm off on work related stress. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

sunnyheart wrote: »
    Hello there,
    I'm a civil servant that had to leave work due to bullying. My doctor has given we a cert so I can take a break from work. I'm sure she will extend it as I was in a bad way with her in her clinic. I can't go to work as the environment is toxic. I'm not sure when I will be strong enough to go back as the bullying has gone on for years. Has anyone been in a similar situation, I'm concerned about how long I will get paid when I'm off on work related stress. Thanks

The civil service pay for a long time when you are sick, and you can “reset the clock” by returning to work for a short period (if your doctor will sign it off). Go to union rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

As far as I know the sick pay rate is
    Full pay for 3 months
    Half pay for the next 3 months and then pension rate of pay after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

3DataModem wrote: »
    The civil service pay for a long time when you are sick, and you can “reset the clock” by returning to work for a short period (if your doctor will sign it off). Go to union rep.

I always understood that it was on a rolling basis looking back 4 years, so "resetting the clock" is not an option (open to correction).

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

You should take a look at Circular 5/2018, which is the most up-to-date circular on sick leave.

You obviously need time off and perhaps treatment, but you will ultimately need to grab the bull by the horns because you will have to return to work. As such, I would recommend making a formal complaint about bullying to HR pursuant the relevant protocols, available on the DPER website: https://hr.per.gov.ie/dignity-at-work/.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

With a medical cert, you can have up to 1000 hours off sick in a 4 year period; in a 1 year period you can have 500 hours off sick at your regular pay rate, you get sick half for the remainder of the 1000 hours. If you go beyond 1000 you get your pension rate, up to that point of service, for a period of hours. After that you go sick unpaid.

All rough figures.

If you go out for that long, and the medical cert diagnosis is stress, you will be contacted by HR.

You need to face this toxic environment and talk to HR. It will not improve otherwise. There are many procedures and legislations that protect you, avail of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

3DataModem wrote: »

Civil Service sick leave is a MAXIMUM of 92 days on full pay followed by 91 on half over a 4 year period.

Not sure what you mean by resetting the clock by returning to work for a short period but if anything returning for a short period makes your situation worse as then you’ve 2 absences instead of 1.

Just seen Gazzer’s post above which is closest to fact. Pension rate of pay, or Temporary Rehabilitative Remuneration as it’s now called does NOT have to be paid in all cases.

OP - before you speak to anyone about what’s happened go speak to your Employee Assistance Officer, they are free and confidential and are highly trained to deal with such issues. www.cseas.per.gov.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Been there myself in a similar situation. I was out of work for 4 months with Work related stress down to bullying. You’ll get 3 months full pay followed by 3 months half pay, which depends on your sick leave over the past 4 years. You may apply for TRR after you exhaust your sick leave options but that requires management approval. Go to occupational health and make an appointment with EAP Officer. They actually can’t do anything in terms of taking action against a toxic and harmful work environment which is disappointing, but it is good to talk, especially with a professional who will be familiar with the workings of the civil service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Maybe you should get a job somewhere else if it is so toxic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sunnyheart

Maybe you should get a job somewhere else if it is so toxic?

Thanks all for your advise. I am still out on certified sick leave. I made contact with civil service support which really helped. I have got a letter to meet with a medical officer. With time away from work and going to counselling I laid it all out to management. I'm being moved. I want my bully to be pulled up on this but unfortunately I have realised that it is pointless going official.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Thanks all for your advise. I am still out on certified sick leave. I made contact with civil service support which really helped. I have got a letter to meet with a medical officer. With time away from work and going to counselling I laid it all out to management. I'm being moved. I want my bully to be pulled up on this but unfortunately I have realised that it is pointless going official.

Don't waste your life working somewhere or in something you hate. There are plenty of better jobs out there.

Get well soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭delboythedub

sunnyheart wrote:
    Hello there, I'm a civil servant that had to leave work due to bullying. My doctor has given we a cert so I can take a break from work. I'm sure she will extend it as I was in a bad way with her in her clinic. I can't go to work as the environment is toxic. I'm not sure when I will be strong enough to go back as the bullying has gone on for years. Has anyone been in a similar situation, I'm concerned about how long I will get paid when I'm off on work related stress. Thanks

What I would do is furnish by registered post all invoices for your medical expenses to said bully and if not paid in 21 days see him in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

good luck with the move, and take it easy.

may I ask - as you said you discussed with management -have they been aware of a certain situation with the profile, have there been other issues with the guy?

- I also wouldn't go to HR route if I had the choice; I am assuming a history involving HR may be carried with you if you get to change employer.

Advertisement