Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taking a bike to Santander and back from La Rochelle

Options
  • 20-05-2018 4:46pm

Hello

Could anyone give me recent advise about how best to take a bike abroad, flying into Santander from Dublin and out of La Rochelle. I currently own no bike bag or case.

I will be touring so bringing a big hard shell case not an option. The best option would be if the airport at Dublin and at La Rochelle can supply a packing box. But I cannot find out any information about this. Or else one of the CTC polythene bags to package the bike.

I have looked through old threads but there is nothing recent on this so airport policies may have changed.

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I did a return flight using the CTC polythene bag (except I got a bag free from a bed shop). I turned the handlebars, reversed the pedals, strapped a helmet over the rear mech and deflated the tyres ('cos they made me, wouldn't have otherwise).

I watched the bike being loaded both ways and it was handled with due care...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Get a cardboard bike box from your local bike shop for the outward leg to Santander and box up the bike yourself. Leave it in the arrivals area in a neat fashion when you arrive. I generally leave them close to a litter bin or ask airport staff where you can leave it.

for the return leg you have a couple of options.

1. Does La rochelle airport supply cardboard bike boxes. A lot of airports do.
    2 Look up bike shops close to the airport where you maybe able to get a cardboard box. Some shops will even pack your bike for a fee and arrange taxi.
    3. I have got cardboard bike boxes from Decathlon in the past. With a little ingenuity you can fold them and carry them on your bike to airport once its not too far.
    4. Absolute last resort is to use the plastic wrapping machine in the airport. They generally charge double for a bike. Not ideal but will get your bike home hopefully in one piece.

good luck

Cdaly and seaswimmer
    many thanks for your helpful responses.

I will update this thread when I return , so it might be of help to others!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

You've probably thought of it but those areas you mention - La Rochelle and Santander are linked by sea to Ireland. Would the ferry suit you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Get a cardboard bike box from your local bike shop for the outward leg to Santander and box up the bike yourself. Leave it in the arrivals area in a neat fashion when you arrive. I generally leave them close to a litter bin or ask airport staff where you can leave it.

for the return leg you have a couple of options.

1. Does La rochelle airport supply cardboard bike boxes. A lot of airports do.
    2 Look up bike shops close to the airport where you maybe able to get a cardboard box. Some shops will even pack your bike for a fee and arrange taxi.
    3. I have got cardboard bike boxes from Decathlon in the past. With a little ingenuity you can fold them and carry them on your bike to airport once its not too far.
    4. Absolute last resort is to use the plastic wrapping machine in the airport. They generally charge double for a bike. Not ideal but will get your bike home hopefully in one piece.

good luck

This is pretty much what I was going to suggest too. As a minimum, use the cardboard box approach on the way out. I've never had a problem with this approach, after a lot of trips - my only trip with the big plastic bag was less happy. There's a lot of luck involved tho, unless you go hard shell box, which clearly is not a runner.

Sounds like a good trip - enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

You've probably thought of it but those areas you mention - La Rochelle and Santander are linked by sea to Ireland. Would the ferry suit you?

Santander route doesn't take foot passengers or cyclists. I'm half considering it for next year myself. Would need to find a car or truck going out to take me.

Advertisement