Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jastine Valdez found dead. No Ana discussion please. Mod warning post 1

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

if the phone is unlocked...

True, I actually forgot about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

pah wrote: »
    My op was "how often is someone shot by gardai"

Abbeylara was 18 years ago

You said it was the last resort. From memory abbeylara was anything but a last resort band resulted in a commission of inquiry which went against AGS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

ED E wrote: »
    If the court will issue the order you're talking an hour or two.
    Your kidding right?
    Surely a judge would sign that 'off' in seconds...

An hour or two to pull the data from cell masts. Google timeline doesn't seem to upload activity on my phone for a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

if the phone is unlocked...

The state might be able to unlock a passcode. Might.

Read up on the unreal Garda work in the Elaine O'Hara case. Really fantastic police work. The technological side of things was really impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Think my question was missed by the poster here who also has a 171 quashqai.

Does the gps within the car log data for a few days?

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/how-your-cars-gadgets-can-be-used-to-track-your-movements/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

G_R wrote: »
    Potentially a couple of seconds. If location services are on on his phone, they just need yo open Google maps and go to the timeline and it'll all be there.

Is this reliable? My location is turned on most of the time and ive checked back the last few weeks and im getting "no visited places"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

thebull85 wrote: »
    If it turns out this woman is dead, then the gardai done us all a massive behaviour by sending that scumbag to the morgue.

You might be right, but since none of us know what happened, I'll propose another scenario.

***The below is totally made up by me***

Accidentally knocks the girl down in the car on the road and injures her. Panics and tries to bring her to hospital, she resists and wants an ambulance, but he puts her in the car anyway.

On the way to hospital she dies. He panics and thinks he go to prison for it. Becomes totally irrational and wants to kill himself rather than face up to it. Garda find him, he gets hysterical and they shoot him.

See, we can all speculate and come to our own conclusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I think we can all agree they are asking WHY WHY WHY did they kill him, he knows where she is.
    There would be something seriously wrong if they were not questioning why the needed to kill him.

Maybe he was going to or in the process of cutting his own throat or wrists or something , who knows ?

All I can think is that the decision to shoot him is definitely not one that would have been the first option to take tbh , it would have been a last resort imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Qrt

Damien360 wrote: »
    An hour or two to pull the data from cell masts. Google timeline doesn't seem to upload activity on my phone for a few hours.

Google timeline can be turned off AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

I don't think anyone is speculating as specifically as you did just there though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-BorneTobyWilde do not post in this thread again. reason- trolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

RTE stated they traced him through phone/mast activity. Hopefully that will help in the search for the unfortunate victim.

The amount of anti AGS curmudgeons is just.. I knew someone who was all about the AGS minding their own business, until he himself was burgled. He couldn't get to the phone quick enough..

Omackeral wrote: »
    The state might be able to unlock a passcode. Might.

Read up on the unreal Garda work in the Elaine O'Hara case. Really fantastic police work. The technological side of things was really impressive.

Wasn't there a case in the US where the FBI had to get apples help to unlock a phone belonging to a suspected terrorist and Apple told em basically to go and sh1te and they weren't able to access it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JimPa

wellwhynot wrote: »
    It reminds me a bit of the O’Dwyer case. He was to his family a normal family man as was Larry Murphy. Both of the above went home and acted as normal after murdering their vicims.

Mark Hennessy didn’t though. He had been missing since yesterday. He never returned home as planned. Does that give us some hope that Jastine is out there somewhere?

It's possible he realised that he was caught. There was an eyewitness who claimed they seen a woman being bundled into a car and another eyewitness who seen a women in distress in a moving vehicle.

O'Dwyer was clinical. It seems this man was not. We might guess it was unplanned or poorly planned.

Which might suggest it was a recent decision.

Which might help suggest the motive.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Newdawn11

You might be right, but since none of us know what happened, I'll propose another scenario.

***The below is totally made up by me***

Accidentally knocks the girl down in the car on the road and injures her. Panics and tries to bring her to hospital, she resists and wants an ambulance, but he puts her in the car anyway.

On the way to hospital she dies. He panics and thinks he go to prison for it. Becomes totally irrational and wants to kill himself rather than face up to it. Garda find him, he gets hysterical and they shoot him.

She was abducted...bundled into the car against her will.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Tippex wrote: »
    I would imagine they were all over it before the car reg was released to the public.

IT saying the Guards went to the registered address earlier today, and spoke to the suspects wife who is the registered owner. They then learned he had been out with the car since last night.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/man-wanted-in-connection-with-missing-woman-dies-after-being-shot-by-garda-1.3501945

...fingers crossed for a good outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Qrt wrote: »

How accurate is it anyway? I always thought that unless you used it for satnav, it only tracks the general area. And if GPS is switched off, how accurate would it be anyway? Genuine question as I'm curious how it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I think we can all agree they are asking WHY WHY WHY did they kill him, he knows where she is.

How do you know that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

You said it was the last resort. From memory abbeylara was anything but a last resort band resulted in a commission of inquiry which went against AGS

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_John_Carthy

Yes but the criticism stemmed from management's handling of the overall situation as opposed to decisions made by the ERU to eventually fire on Carthy and yes it was absolutely a last resort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Qrt wrote: »
    Damien360 wrote: »

Yes. It's an opt in service. iPhone frequent places is another opt in but is on by default.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wasn't there a case in the US where the FBI had to get apples help to unlock a phone belonging to a suspected terrorist and Apple told em basically to go and sh1te and they weren't able to access it

Yes there was but the FBI then bypassed apple and had a 3rd party open the phone which pissed off apple

JaMarcus wrote: »
    How accurate is it anyway? I always thought that unless you used it for satnav, it only tracks the general area. And if GPS is switched off, how accurate would it be anyway? Genuine question as I'm curious how it works.

I just looked at my timeline there.
    It was mostly accurate, except for a 60km odd cross country journey I didn't take this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I just looked at my timeline there.
    It was mostly accurate, except for a 60km odd cross country journey I didn't take this morning.

That's *your* story...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Newdawn11 wrote: »
    She was abducted...bundled into the car against her will.

Which I've addressed in the above theory. I made it up, but it's plausible at the very least, is it not?

It's such a bizzare chain of events up to now, anything is possible.

Pretty accurate. Attached is a redacted version of mine for a portion of today. It's accurate to within a few metres.

RockDesk wrote: »
    That's *your* story...!

Look, its just a good thing I didn't tell you the locations involved, we'll say that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its not reliable enough to navigate with but as a record of criminal activity its pretty good in built up areas. The neighbour cell table can be 10-12 CIDs long, that gives you a very strong gist of triangulation. Rurally it might be 1-2 long leaving you with a strip 1km wide and 4km long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Pretty accurate. Attached is a redacted version of mine for a portion of today. It's accurate to within a few metres.

Not very well redacted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I've been in work since 1 this afternoon so only heard about this case now. If it's the guy named above then he lives locally and I would know him to see. Obviously there are bad eggs everywhere but it's strange to think of them being so familiar.

I really hope Jastine is found safe very soon, her family must be going through hell. Also the man's wife and children, awful for all involved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

His mobile network should have a track of his movements from mast to mast. They can use that to figure out rough journey/timeline. They'll be able to see if his phone didn't do a location update for a while/hours that he was likely in the same spot/area during that time. Depends on what technology his particular mobile network is using but pretty much any network should be able to pull that sort of history on their subscribers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Let's not forget the fiasco that was abbeylara.

is that the one that the gardai eventually killed a mentally unstable man who harbored a long term grudge against the gardai for trying to take his gun away from him armed with a shot gun after he fired a large number of shots at them, having wounded him in the legs and arms before resorting to a fatal shot.

the one where they were criticized international for not shooting to kill much earlier

you haven't a clue mate and you shouldn't bother expressing an opinion about something you know nothing about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

It just seems so strange, a local 40plus year old man with a family, no police record abducts a young lady near his home in broad daylight in his own car and is then missing for 24 hours until shot, it just seems so irrational and random

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

They already have his phone data. They used it to find him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

So sad going to sleep now not having being privy to positive news, this case has seriously overwhelmed me. Please let me wake up to "good" news.

• Advertisement

Not very well redacted...

Don't really care if someone knows I took a train at some stage today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I was checking it recently and it able to differentiate between when I was in the Bison Bar and The Workmans Club and give accurate times (essentially different parts of the same building). I would imagine that it would also depend on the level of accuracy you have set your GPS settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

I really hope she is okay :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Cool_CM wrote: »
    I was checking it recently and it able to differentiate between when I was in the Bison Bar and The Workmans Club and give accurate times (essentially different parts of the same building). I would imagine that it would also depend on the level of accuracy you have set your GPS settings.

I beleive Google maps also uses WiFi for that. So it sort of roughly knows where WiFi routers are and can triangulate based on which ones are in range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

They've been able to track people's movements on phones long before location services and GPS were on phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

AnneFrank wrote: »
    It just seems so strange, a local 40plus year old man with a family, no police record abducts a young lady near his home in broad daylight in his own car and is then missing for 24 hours until shot, it just seems so irrational and random

One notable aspect of this case is that they were able to identify a suspect so quickly and to be aware of his car registration number in the space of about 12 hours or so. Often in an abduction case like this, they might be waiting for days or weeks for a breakthrough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Mod-No speculation please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    I'm in no way bashing Gardai here btw just asking a question. It mentions in the Mirror that he was shot in the head. Isn't it usual police protocol to aim for the chest and/or legs to disable a threatening suspect?

They aim for the torso to allow the biggest margin for error. Why aim for a leg and take a chance of missing? Some absolute ****e being posted on this thread btw...you'd think the gardaí are some trigger happy bunch going by some of the nonsense posted.

Strazdas wrote: »
    One notable aspect of this case is that they were able to identify a suspect so quickly and to be aware of his car registration number in the space of about 12 hours or so. Often in an abduction case like this, they might be waiting for days or weeks for a breakthrough.

I still can't find any news article stating explicitly that the dead man was a suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Not just maps, Android itself references a group blanket database of known routers to locate itself. Google has been criticised for being a bit vague about this. Even if data/gps is off, as long as wi-fi is active, the phone knows where it is, roughly.

fullstop wrote: »
    They aim for the torso to allow the biggest margin for error. Why aim for a leg and take a chance of missing? Some absolute ****e being posted on this thread btw...you'd think the gardaí are some trigger happy bunch going by some of the nonsense posted.

Also if a bullet hits an arm it’s not likely to stop and could go anywhere really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I still can't find any news article stating explicitly that the dead man was a suspect.

It's hardly rocket science

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭kingofclay

I can't for the life of me fathom what had him around Cherrywood. Why stay in the vicinity of South Dublin and in an area that isn't exactly hidden. Cars would have been going there since it's the last stop on the LUAS.
    Is there a possibility he was waiting for a potential vulnerable victim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

I think it's kinda implied. Guards said they were looking for a particular vehicle in relation to the woman's disappearance and then that vehicle with the reg plate is found and this man is shot. If he was unrelated then you'd imagine that info would have been released

kingofclay wrote: »
    I can't for the life of me fathom what had him around Cherrywood. Why stay in the vicinity of South Dublin and in an area that isn't exactly hidden. Is there a possibility he was waiting for a victim coming off a Sunday evening Luas?

Maybe he had keys to a space in the industrial estate

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement