Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jastine Valdez found dead. No Ana discussion please. Mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭OB1Kildare

Malayalam wrote: »
    As far as I can make out, Jo Jo is missing 22 years, Annie McCarrick since 1993 (25 years), and Deirdre Jacob about 19 years. This suspect is 40 - perhaps too young at the time of those disappearances to be a suspect.

it says he was a subcontractor ...wonder what area and who he served an apprecticeship with

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

OB1Kildare wrote: »
    just saw pictures of the stretch of road she was taken from - im in kildare and its all too familiar to deirdre jacob - isolated stretch of road , with a bend to obscure vision.

Its not that isolated. Summerhill Hotel Entrance and Powerscourt gates very close by. There’d be a fair amount of traffic on a sunny Saturday teatime.

Very close also to a girl guides / scouting lodge

listermint wrote: »
    Its a very busy road especially at the weekends.

so was the one deirdre was taken from - but you can hear cars coming /approach , its just the bend in the road , the car would have to upon you to see you ....if you get what i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭kingofclay

I suppose talking of the site she was abducted from and whether it was busy or not isn't relevant since the guy wasn't exactly some serial abductor mastermind. He went to no lengths to cover his tracks;Took his own car, abducted late afternoon outside a popular tourist town on a sunny day, didn't go home or write off the car and then go home,he stayed in the vicinity of where he lives etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kingofclay wrote: »
    He went to no lengths to cover his tracks;Took his own car, abducted late afternoon outside a popular tourist town on a sunny day, didn't go home or write off the car and then go home,he stayed in the vicinity of where he lives etc.
    And neither of them were very far from home. All of which points to a targetted abduction IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I suppose talking of the site she was abducted from and whether it was busy or not isn't relevant since the guy wasn't exactly some serial abductor mastermind. He went to no lengths to cover his tracks;Took his own car, abducted late afternoon outside a popular tourist town on a sunny day, didn't go home or write off the car and then go home,he stayed in the vicinity of where he lives etc.

That's true. Very poor planning if the aim was to get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mrsmum wrote: »
    That's true. Very poor planning if the aim was to get away with it.

Not in his right mind maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭cagefactor

they are looking in Rathmichael now.

seamus wrote: »
    And neither of them were very far from home. All of which points to a targetted abduction IMHO.

I read a report yesterday she walked that road most days in and out to her job ..... so she had a routine of doing it ...and most probably simular times . Its heart breaking for her family but atleast someone saw and they have leads .....of some sort . Its not ideal but hopefully his house / personal belongings will throw up something .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The Mirror have published a photo of him

Did members of the public approach him at one point?

I hope not, that could have had some serious consequences if they did.

• Advertisement

Not looking good. My hope was that she was left somewhere up the Dublin mountains alive giving him time(in his mind) to plan an exit strategy or cover story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

https://twitter.com/mickthehack/status/998349810859208709

"Lots of criticism on here of the #Garda detective who shot Mark Hennessy while he went at a traffic cop with a Stanley knife; barely any criticism of Hennessy for abducting Jastine Valdez. Mad stuff."

Mick is normally spot on with everything he reports. this suggest here that the attacker went to stab an unarmed traffic garda.

so puts the theory to bed that it was just a random panic shooting into the car by some untrained detective that shouldnt have done it.

its a no win suituation for the cops here, they wait - their collegue is stabbed to death. they act and the anti garda brigade are out in force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

OB1Kildare wrote: »
    it says he was a subcontractor ...wonder what area and who he served an apprecticeship with

He worked in Window Installation. Not sure where but pretty sure he is from Wicklow

I kinda feel bad because I was convinced it was a guy on FB, I'm sure he got a lot of messages because of people like me trying to find out more about him. That's really dangerous when you think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How did an unarmed traffic cop end up there? Surely they would be sending in trained armed gardai unit incase things turned ugly.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    How did an unarmed traffic cop end up there? Surely they would be sending in trained armed gardai unit incase things turned ugly.

First responder.
    Probably loads of reported sightings. They can't wait for back-up for them all.

Its not the time to criticise but Id hope the operation will be given a proper reviewed when all this is over.

Just to see what could have been done better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Will have to wait until the facts come out before being able to answer that. There could be any number of reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

He was probably in the area in fairness .Doing his daily business and got caught up in it .They did send the armed respond unit but they cannot be everywhere all of the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

So many victims here. My heart goes out to his wife, children, parents, siblings. Imagine having to get on with organising his funeral now in these circumstances. Also very difficult for the guard and his family. I'm sure he did what he had to do but still it probably isn't easy to carry that responsibility of having killed someone. And the lady's family must be up the walls. Is no news good news maybe. Hope she will be found and is ok.

I kinda feel bad because I was convinced it was a guy on FB, I'm sure he got a lot of messages because of people like me trying to find out more about him. That's really dangerous when you think about it.

That is probably why most rags like the Mirror are told and asked not name people until there is more information.
    Desperate to get a few mouseclicks they named him last night without much else, except his locality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Not in his right mind maybe.

Maybe???

I would have thought that its very clear that he was nowhere near being in a 'right mind'. The whole brutal attack was surely the product of a very disturbed mind from the initial bizarre abduction, through the subsequent dash up the road with the poor woman being seen banging on the rear windows, to the apparently deranged final attack on the traffic Garda could only be classed as crazy, not to mention downright evil stuff!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

If he abducted and (potentially) murdered (assumption based on no facts) someone, then went to attack a Garda, the shooting was 100% justified. I just feel sorry for his wife and kids. No matter what sort of a person someone is, a child never thinks that of them. For them, they have lost their father, and that's what's terrible for them. (Regardless of the person he may turn out to be).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

He had been spotted several times during the day. He had gotten away and once spotted again the first responders (the closet units) to the scene happened to be a traffic policing unit. The armed lads where there fairly lively but Physics plays a part and it takes time. They didn't want him to escape and to be fair he was unlikely to have a gun so it was a calculated risk to attend the scene so he couldn't get away (esp if he had the poor girl in the car) while awaiting backup.

Standard practice afaik... only if the person is known armed will they wait for armed police before approaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

On the independent there is an eyewitness who heard one gunshot only, so with reports of him being shot in the arm and head, his arm would have to have been raised and the bullet followed through. Michael O’Tooles tweet makes a clearer picture now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It was his wife’s car he borrowed it Sat night to go out.

It’s possible that he went on a bender and drugs were consumed and he lost the head or something. Bizarre behaviour anyway.

I hope they find the girl alive but my hopes are fading. He did have a knife, Jesus. But miracles do happen..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

iamwhoiam wrote: »

The Sun rag writes "blasted in head", such language, I hope the journo is proud of themselves, he has a wife and two children who will be exposed to this horrendous use of language

An absolute rag of a paper.

Reati wrote: »
    He had been spotted several times during the day. He had gotten away and once spotted again the first responders (the closet units) to the scene happened to be a traffic policing unit. The armed lads where there fairly lively but Physics plays a part and it takes time. They didn't want him to escape and to be fair he was unlikely to have a gun so it was a calculated risk to attend the scene so he couldn't get away (esp if he had the poor girl in the car) while awaiting backup.

Standard practice afaik... only if the person is known armed will they wait for armed police before approaching.

wow so he was driving around trying to avoid the guards ......thats a bit more than a man who has been out on the lash and not come home cos he fell asleep on a mates couch ...you can see why they shot at him .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

A bit annoying that people tried to approach him despite being specifically told not to.

Killiney Dart.... has'nt there been a number of attacks on women in that area in recent years?

vicwatson wrote: »
    The Sun rag writes "blasted in head", such language, I hope the journo is proud of themselves, he has a wife and two children who will be exposed to this horrendous use of language

I'm sure that anyone who carries a gun as part of their job dreads the day that they have to use it. I hope that Garda is getting help too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Not a hope this lad is responsible for the other missing women,he took too many risks here,he ain't a seasoned attacker imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

antodeco wrote: »
    If he abducted and (potentially) murdered (assumption based on no facts) someone, then went to attack a Garda, the shooting was 100% justified. I just feel sorry for his wife and kids. No matter what sort of a person someone is, a child never thinks that of them. For them, they have lost their father, and that's what's terrible for them. (Regardless of the person he may turn out to be).
    These are really the most tragic of cases. Not only have these kids lost their Dad, they've also basically lost whatever memories they had of him. His actions mean that the person they remember clearly isn't the person they thought he was. He has stolen their ability to grieve for him.

Hopefully there's some good news for Jastine's family, otherwise this is just unimaginable tragedy all around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

First responder.
    Probably loads of reported sightings. They can't wait for back-up for them all.

We sometimes forget that the boys and girls who annoy us when they ticket us for doing 40 in a 30 are actually unarmed public servants who put themselves in harm's way when another human being is in danger. Time and again, they do heroic things that are then retrospectively judged as foolish. However, this beast had abducted a young woman and was cornered with every possibility that he still had her in the car and there was an immediate threat to her life as far as the Gardai were concerned.

That cop who tried to deal with him put him/her self in personal danger to rescue someone considered to be a hostage from a dangerous individual. All early reports last night suggested that the woman was in the car (erroneously as established later) so the Gardai on the ground couldn't wait for the ERU or whomever to arrive with their tasers etc, the traffic cop went in for the rescue and the armed Garda shot the perp as he attacked the unarmed colleague.

Now clearly that is all conjecture on my part, but is based on the few facts that have been made public, and shows a situation of fast acting professionalism and heroism in the face of extreme and urgent peril, rather than a situation of error-prone flat - footedness that some would prefer to paint as their conjecture.

Remember how the world reacted to the cop who waited outside the Marjorie Stoneham High School in Florida while the gunman was killing kids and teachers inside??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Killiney Dart.... has'nt there been a number of attacks on women in that area in recent years?

There was a fair few attacks in shankill the next stop over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Its not the time to criticise but Id hope the operation will be given a proper reviewed when all this is over.

Nah, I'd say they'll just leave it. :rolleyes:

Not a hope this lad is responsible for the other missing women,he took too many risks here,he ain't a seasoned attacker imo.

He could be connected to the Killiney and Shankill attempted abductions. The man in question was described as early 30's(2 years ago) and slight build. Hennessy was bald but he has that early 30's look especially in the clear face picture that has been used.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

ChikiChiki wrote: »

think it was more around shankill dart and shanganagh park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Some amount of absolute knobs in here playing amateur detective. Linking him to other crimes from a name and Facebook photo. Give me a f*cking break.

Those people who approached him in Killiney were very lucky, at that stage he must have known his game was up. Could have ended badly. Thank god we don't have easy access to guns!

Some amount of absolute knobs in here playing amateur detective. Linking him to other crimes from a name and Facebook photo. Give me a f*cking break.

Who gives a ****, he's a piece of **** and if I want to link him to other similar incidents I will. I'm not saying I'm right but it's an internet message board, not Scotland Yard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Thank goodness for the ignore button

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Who gives a ****, he's a piece of **** and if I want to link him to other similar incidents I will. I'm not saying I'm right but it's an internet message board, not Scotland Yard.

Mind calming down a bit there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

Synode wrote: »
    Thank goodness for the ignore button

Holy ****, there is an ignore button?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

What were you hoping to achieve by doing this? It's absolutely baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

kingofclay wrote:

And you can hide behind your keyboard and be a big man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

sightband wrote: »
    think it was more around shankill dart and shanganagh park.

Both Shankill and Killiney, but they were groping assaults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

People would probably be better off not listening to you going by this...
    I was convinced it was a guy on FB, I'm sure he got a lot of messages because of people like me trying to find out more about him. That's really dangerous when you think about it.

That's a lot more than ''just a message board'' territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Those people who approached him in Killiney were very lucky, at that stage he must have known his game was up. Could have ended badly. Thank god we don't have easy access to guns!

Lucky? They sound like idiots. Now we have to consider if they had just called the Gardaí could he have been followed to her location?

vicwatson wrote: »

On google news, reading the same headline, it goes like this:
    Irish Examiner
    Update: Gardaí focusing search for Jastine Valdez in south county Dublin after suspect shot dead
    thejournal.ie
    Man dies after being shot by gardaí searching for woman believed to have been abducted
    RTÉ News
    THE 40-YEAR-OLD man shot by gardaí searching for Jastine Valdez this evening has died. It is believed that the 24-year-old woman was ...
    Dublin Live
    Man, 40s, shot by gardai as search continues for missing woman
    Independent.ie
    A man being sought in relation to the disappearance of student Jastine Valdez has been shot dead during an armed garda operation this evening.
    Herald.ie
    Kidnapper shot dead by gardai - but no sign of Jastine after dramatic manhunt
    Irish Times
    Jastine Valdez timeline: Missing after being bundled into SUV
    Irish Mirror
    Frantic search for missing woman after crazed kidnapper shot dead by gardai
    The Irish Sun
    kidnap horror Dad-of-two builder Mark Hennessy blasted in head after he pulled a knife as gardai continue search for missing Jastine Valdez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

According to RTE News they have found Jastine's purse in the area they are currently searching in Rathmichael.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement