Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin now sixth in the world for building costs

Options
  • 20-05-2018 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

There is no short to medium term solution to the housing crisis in Dublin in my opinion:
    https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/dublin-now-sixth-in-the-world-for-building-costs-36914115.html
    Without considering any land costs, just the pure construction cost for a small house in Dublin would be 300k (when I hear the usual communists/free for all brigade in this forum and the same hypocrite Indo journalists in other sections complaining that 300k for a house in Dublin is expensive, my blood boils!) you then need to add the land costs and a lot of other additional costs which will easily take the selling price for a relatively small new build in Dublin to over 400k.
    The only solution for Dublin housing crisis are apartments (and small ones actually) and with these building costs even a small new build apartment would not cost less than 200k. The last crisis destroyed the construction industry so now there are very few skilled costruction professionals! I do not see any solution in the medium term for Dublin property market (even if interest rates go up a bit and reduce demand, the hole is just too deep): it is going to take a long time. Any palliative solution suggested in the article is just that: a palliative that will not reduce building costs, because it will not reduce the construction industry skills shortage which will take years to recover!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I recently secured planning permission for a client for a 2 bed house in Dublin.
    Excluding land costs and connections and professional fees, the actual build cost was Circa 160k. She was getting the land from her parents (large corner garden).

House was about 85 square meters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

kceire wrote: »
    I recently secured planning permission for a client for a 2 bed house in Dublin.
    Excluding land costs and connections and professional fees, the actual build cost was Circa 160k. She was getting the land from her parents (large corner garden).

House was about 85 square meters.

Would you take a stab at guessing the market value of the site? Just out of interest

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Would you take a stab at guessing the market value of the site? Just out of interest

With planning maybe about €70k

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

kceire wrote: »
    With planning maybe about €70k

There's very few parts of Dublin where you can buy a site (to build 85sqm property) for less than 150k. Generally 200k+ with PP. I think your client's site might be worth more than your estimate. Do you mind me asking what is the general area we're talking about here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Plenty of people, including many politicians, will be happy that Dublin is 6th in the world for building costs.

These same people are probably unhappy that Dublin isn't numero uno.

• Advertisement
Advertisement