Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ww2 Gun stock importation

Options
  • 20-05-2018 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello I was wondering do i need a gun license to import a kar98k gun stock with serial number dated 1945 i just want it to build a replica airsoft gun, i am importing it from within the EU

Kind regards,
    SH4N3C119

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

No its just a piece of wood ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

A few buddies of mine had a timber stock held by customs until they produced a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

A few buddies of mine had a timber stock held by customs until they produced a licence.

Someone on here had the same issue a while ago. Customs would not let it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SH4N3C119

I see so I would just get someone else to puechase it and then they could produce a photocopy of there license once customs ask the package would be in there name and address of course

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

SH4N3C119 wrote: »
    I see so I would just get someone else to puechase it and then they could produce a photocopy of there license once customs ask the package would be in there name and address of course

Somebody that has a licence for that make/mode/calibre of firearm, they can't just send in a copy of any licence.

• Advertisement

If u follow that logic u will b in a lot of hassle, the K98k is a 8mm Service rifle, and is a restricted firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

98's were also made in 30 cal and 7mm. Wouldn't be too worried about the restricted bit. Anyway a stock does not shoot on it's own.
    How about getting it posted to a RFD. Of course one could also apply for an import licence.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Have you looked into buying the one of the several airsoft versions already available

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

No its just a piece of wood ..

It most certainly isn't 'only a piece of wood'.

A stock is a component of a firearm and therefore treated as a firearm under the law.

Possession of a stock for a gun that you are unlicensed for is an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

In normal and sane countries, it is just a lump of wood.
    However, if you are a regd airsoft player with a club,you could ask your local Garda Super,if you could acquire and hold it as a Deactivated firearm on their written permission? It's not a license, just a letter of authorisation for you to own a deact.So that would satisfy customs and cover you legally.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It most certainly isn't 'only a piece of wood'.

A stock is a component of a firearm and therefore treated as a firearm under the law.

Possession of a stock for a gun that you are unlicensed for is an offence.

Could you show me that bit of legislation please? ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Denix do replicas of all the classic firearms and are available here in ireland. Might be a better alternative.

Could you show me that bit of legislation please? ...

I'm not a solicitor but see section (f) below.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2006/act/26/section/26/enacted/en/html

“ firearm” means—
    (a) a lethal firearm or other lethal weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged,
    (b) an air gun (including an air rifle and air pistol) with a muzzle energy greater than one joule or any other weapon incorporating a barrel from which any projectile can be discharged with such a muzzle energy,
    (c) a crossbow,
    (d) any type of stun gun or other weapon for causing any shock or other disablement to a person by means of electricity or any other kind of energy emission,
    (e) a prohibited weapon,
    (f) any article which would be a firearm under any of the foregoing paragraphs but for the fact that, owing to the lack of a necessary component part or parts, or to any other defect or condition, it is incapable of discharging a shot, bullet or other missile or projectile or of causing a shock or other disablement, as the case may be,

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm not a solicitor but see section (f) below.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2006/act/26/section/26/enacted/en/html

“ firearm” means—
    (a) a lethal firearm or other lethal weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged,
    (b) an air gun (including an air rifle and air pistol) with a muzzle energy greater than one joule or any other weapon incorporating a barrel from which any projectile can be discharged with such a muzzle energy,
    (c) a crossbow,
    (d) any type of stun gun or other weapon for causing any shock or other disablement to a person by means of electricity or any other kind of energy emission,
    (e) a prohibited weapon,
    (f) any article which would be a firearm under any of the foregoing paragraphs but for the fact that, owing to the lack of a necessary component part or parts, or to any other defect or condition, it is incapable of discharging a shot, bullet or other missile or projectile or of causing a shock or other disablement, as the case may be,

No...not in "f"

No...not in "f"

I'll disagree.

A stock would be capable of firing a projectile if it had all the other missing bits that make up a firearm.
    any article which would be a firearm under any of the foregoing paragraphs but for the fact that, owing to the lack of a necessary component part or parts, or to any other defect or condition, it is incapable of discharging a shot, bullet or other missile or projectile or of causing a shock or other disablement, as the case may be,

As I said before, I'm not a solicitor so my opinion is worth Jack Sh1t but that's my take on it.

Maybe Sparks or someone else well up on the law can comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Contrary to countries with a lot tidier firearms legislation Ireland defines every component part of a firearm as a firearm. Theoretically speaking the little woodscrews holding the trigger guard in place on your shotgun are firearm parts subject to licence.

Most other jurisdictions take a different approach and speak of receivers and pressure bearing parts and so on. They look at components without which an implement that resembles a firearm can not work as a firearm. You can fire a Kar98 without a stock so on their books it would not be subject to licencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SH4N3C119

Okay it is chambered originally in a 7.92x57 so what kinda gun license would you need for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

SH4N3C119 wrote: »
    Okay it is chambered originally in a 7.92x57 so what kinda gun license would you need for that?

8x57 Mauser would require a restricted firearms licence. A lot of hoops will need to be jumped through.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Just call the department they will clear it up . The restricted bit is BS because it is a stock that can fit any Mauser rifle be it 7mm or 8mm or dummy. Just like a Tikka T3 stock will fit a 22lr as well as a 9.3x62. Within Europe stocks are normally just posted.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just as an aside and it might have come up before. (Don't think it's ot in this thread!) I had a flight this morning and ended up standing next to the security poster for ten minutes owing to other people's inability to grasp what they were meant to do!

Nevertheless, regarding firearms it said you could not bring any component of a firearm on board with the exception of telescopic sights.

• Advertisement
Advertisement