Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grass seed mixtures for Reseed

• 21-05-2018 8:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for some thoughts on the below mixtures

Germinal Top 5 extend (45% Tetraploid)

Abergain
    Aberchoice
    Dunluce
    Drumbo

Germinal Top 5 Grazing (36% Tetraploid)

Aberchoice
    Kintyre
    Drumbo
    Navan

Goldcrop Diamond Hi-Digestibility (55% Tetraploid)

Aston Energy
    Meiduno
    Glenveagh
    Majestic

Goldcrop Diamond Hi-Density (30% Tetraploid)

Alfonso
    Glenveagh
    Majestic

I would be getting all the above without clover and finding it hard to decide between them. Medium clay land (not excessively heavy but it is a clay soil - if you roll it between the fingers it will hold a shape)..the farming system is calf to beef and the paddock would be used as part of a rotational grazing set up

The last mix (Diamond Hi-Density) appeals to me as its 30% Tetraploid, I think it would be resistant to poaching, have good ground cover etc and the advertising on the leaflet does mention its the one to go for if theres a low rate of fertiliser application and its in a high rainfall area.......after the last winter I can't but help think I fit into the high rainfall bracket (midlands)

The Diamond high digestibility appeals primarily due to the inclusion of Aston Energy (which seems to be the bees knees) but is it way to high in Tetraploids and will it require very careful maintenance and lots of fertiliser input?

I'm thinking about the germinal ones due to the inclusion of some grass varieties and this is probably silly but their marketing materials look good and make me think they would be a good product.....would the top 5 grazing be very similar to the traits of the Diamond Hi-Density?

I would have considered agritech mixes but for some reason they seem coy about telling you what grass varieties are in their mixes.

Should I be quite as worried about the percentage of Tetraploid in the mixes and having too open a sward?

Does the high level of maintenance and management I'd imagine the high tetraploid mixes at the start of all the companies catalogues only really make sense if its a dairy enterprise you are running I wonder?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Check them against the ppi index maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Agritech mixes from last year.

I think they are coy at telling you this year's mix as I think they are changing the mixes. Aberchoice is replaced aberbite I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Calfscour

amacca wrote: »
    Hi,

Abergain
    Aberchoice
    Dunluce
    Drumbo

Aberchoice
    Kintyre
    Drumbo
    Navan

Aston Energy
    Meiduno
    Glenveagh
    Majestic

Alfonso
    Glenveagh
    Majestic

I would be getting all the above without clover and finding it hard to decide between them. Medium clay land (not excessively heavy but it is a clay soil - if you roll it between the fingers it will hold a shape)..the farming system is calf to beef and the paddock would be used as part of a rotational grazing set up

The last mix (Diamond Hi-Density) appeals to me as its 30% Tetraploid, I think it would be resistant to poaching, have good ground cover etc and the advertising on the leaflet does mention its the one to go for if theres a low rate of fertiliser application and its in a high rainfall area.......after the last winter I can't but help think I fit into the high rainfall bracket (midlands)

The Diamond high digestibility appeals primarily due to the inclusion of Aston Energy (which seems to be the bees knees) but is it way to high in Tetraploids and will it require very careful maintenance and lots of fertiliser input?

I'm thinking about the germinal ones due to the inclusion of some grass varieties and this is probably silly but their marketing materials look good and make me think they would be a good product.....would the top 5 grazing be very similar to the traits of the Diamond Hi-Density?

I would have considered agritech mixes but for some reason they seem coy about telling you what grass varieties are in their mixes.

Should I be quite as worried about the percentage of Tetraploid in the mixes and having too open a sward?

Does the high level of maintenance and management I'd imagine the high tetraploid mixes at the start of all the companies catalogues only really make sense if its a dairy enterprise you are running I wonder?

Any of the ones with majestic are pure ****e, cattle hate it. You won’t go wrong with the top5 extend I’d go for the first one no matter what kind of ground you have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Is palatability of glenveagh an issue as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Calfscour

Mooooo wrote: »
    Is palatability of glenveagh an issue as well?

I’d think so majestic is -26 for quality and glen each is -21 so both not very tasty for cattle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

Calfscour wrote: »
    Any of the ones with majestic are pure ****e, cattle hate it. You won’t go wrong with the top5 extend I’d go for the first one no matter what kind of ground you have

The germinal guy I contacted this afternoon said the same thing. O.K. well that sorts that. Only concern now is how often ill be going in with fertiliser for that mix to keep production up.

The germinal guy I contacted this afternoon said the same thing. O.K. well that sorts that. Only concern now is how often ill be going in with fertiliser for that mix to keep production up.

Well he would say that wouldn't he :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Hi,

Abergain
    Aberchoice
    Dunluce
    Drumbo

Aberchoice
    Kintyre
    Drumbo
    Navan

Aston Energy
    Meiduno
    Glenveagh
    Majestic

Alfonso
    Glenveagh
    Majestic

Mix 1 or 2. The first would be my choice. Palatability would be an issue with the last two.

You’ll be busy grazing the first mix, it’s what we use in all reseeding. Some growing 20 tonnes per ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

Reggie. wrote: »
    Well he would say that wouldn't he :D
    point taken!

Thanks lads, decision made..........what co-op/outlet do ye buy the germinal stuff from, is it an order only job? field shallow ploughed, might be sowing this weekend.

point taken!

Thanks lads, decision made..........what co-op/outlet do ye buy the germinal stuff from, is it an order only job? field shallow ploughed, might be sowing this weekend.

Ask the reps and they will tell ya where to order from. They can't sell direct

• Advertisement

Mix 1 or 2. The first would be my choice. Palatability would be an issue with the last two.

You’ll be busy grazing the first mix, it’s what we use in all reseeding. Some growing 20 tonnes per ha

Would you rate the agritech stuff keepgrowing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Reggie. wrote: »
    Would you rate the agritech stuff keepgrowing

Navan is the only seed I’d take from the mixes posted rest early heading and I’m not a fan.

Navan is an old variety but along with Cancan is one of the best in decades

Navan is the only seed I’d take from the mixes posted rest early heading and I’m not a fan.

Navan is an old variety but along with Cancan is one of the best in decades

Navan is no longer available I think

Advertisement