Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone robbed my...cover!

Options
  • 21-05-2018 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭

Woke up to a very naked looking bike this morning.

At some point in the night someone took my cover, pretty sure they were/are eying up my bike which is great for the stress levels.

Will pick up another cover today and another heavy duty lock.

My bike is locked in the front garden to a ground anchor, 2 brake locks and a motorbike lock on the front, will add an Abus chain lock to that today and a cover that I can loop the locks into.

Anyone else lock their bike outside have any other security tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Doing what you are/have done is probably all you can do. Its a nuisance. Mine is outside. All you can do is put as many obstacles in their way. Hopefully it was somebody just acting the prick. Which is still a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

GBX wrote: »
    Doing what you are/have done is probably all you can do. Its a nuisance. Mine is outside. All you can do is put as many obstacles in their way. Hopefully it was somebody just acting the prick. Which is still a nuisance.

Mentioned it to a Garda friend of mine, he has put it on the system which was he recommendation. I can also park the car in close that it can't get out.

It was me worried to the core.

Been thinking though, if someone was eying up the bike, surely taking the cover would alert me (as it has) and now I will take better measures to secure the bike?

Maybe it was someone actin the bollox?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Gintonious wrote: »
    Been thinking though, if someone was eying up the bike, surely taking the cover would alert me (as it has) and now I will take better measures to secure the bike?

Maybe it was someone actin the bollox?

Yeah possibly. They could have seen your security thought not worth the hassle and then just decided to inconvenience you by nicking the cover.

Ideally that would be great, am going to buy some of those alarmed brake locks today and a new cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tico1300

Fit some outdoor security lights, you can also get them with wireless cameras
    You can watch on your mobile

tico1300 wrote: »
    Fit some outdoor security lights, you can also get them with wireless cameras
    You can watch on your mobile

Not a bad idea, Amazon it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

3 things

1- update your location :P it was hard to give advice to someone in canada
    2- the best chain out there is the Almax 19mm, unfortunately only sold in the UK had mine shipped over by the provider - http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/
    Its a beast.
    3 - I got a camera system similar to this for the house https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANNKE-Security-Surveillance-All-weather-Adaptation/dp/B013SKFHV0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526909731&sr=8-3&keywords=annke+security+camera
    it activates based on motion detection on any camera (you can specify a part of the image rather than for example catching people walking down the street you could just crop the bike area. it will send alert email to you. and if you are handy at software you can have that forwarded to your phone by push notification with 3 snaps of the picture - have this setup. Gives alot of reassurance as you dont have to constantly monitor anything it does it for you. - No monthly fees just hook it up to your home internet. Can login remotely via an app and watch live or rewind the video.

General consensus from the few I have told seems to be that they either wanted the cover, or took it off and saw all the locks and said "Forget it" or that they just stole the cover.

Either way, I am getting more security for it today, and a new cover...the joys.

listermint wrote: »
    3 things

1- update your location :P it was hard to give advice to someone in canada
    2- the best chain out there is the Almax 19mm, unfortunately only sold in the UK had mine shipped over by the provider - http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/
    Its a beast.
    3 - I got a camera system similar to this for the house https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANNKE-Security-Surveillance-All-weather-Adaptation/dp/B013SKFHV0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526909731&sr=8-3&keywords=annke+security+camera
    it activates based on motion detection on any camera (you can specify a part of the image rather than for example catching people walking down the street you could just crop the bike area. it will send alert email to you. and if you are handy at software you can have that forwarded to your phone by push notification with 3 snaps of the picture - have this setup. Gives alot of reassurance as you dont have to constantly monitor anything it does it for you. - No monthly fees just hook it up to your home internet. Can login remotely via an app and watch live or rewind the video.

Whoops! I am actually back in Dublin now!

Thanks for the advice, am going to Megabikes today to get a new chain lock and alarmed disc lock as well.

• Advertisement

So an update on this.

My neighbour has a camera installed that faces out onto the street here. He had a look back over and at about 4:00am this morning, a silver Ford Focus pulls up just past the house, turns off its lights and reverses to my garden. Passenger gets out and is in my garden for about a minute, leaves with the cover and puts it in his boot and drives off.

I am guessing it was an opportunistic steal of the cover, which I have replaced now, complete with a lovely heavy duty chain, and disc alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Goose81

Gintonious wrote: »
    Woke up to a very naked looking bike this morning.

At some point in the night someone took my cover, pretty sure they were/are eying up my bike which is great for the stress levels.

Will pick up another cover today and another heavy duty lock.

My bike is locked in the front garden to a ground anchor, 2 brake locks and a motorbike lock on the front, will add an Abus chain lock to that today and a cover that I can loop the locks into.

Anyone else lock their bike outside have any other security tips?

Yeah I lock my bike outside, with 2 cars blocking it in. Not a chance I'd leave it out if not blocked in

Goose81 wrote: »
    Yeah I lock my bike outside, with 2 cars blocking it in. Not a chance I'd leave it out if not blocked in

Been doing that as well, looking to get the gates secured also.

Advertisement