Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top tube dent - aluminium frame

Options
  • 21-05-2018 9:40am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just spotted this dent in top tube of my commuter/cx bike.

Never crashed, can't recall dropping anything on it. Possible it's been there since I bought it and I'm only seeing it now.

Not sure how safe it is.

Tis a planet X uncle John

Any thoughts? Other than new bike (I have one)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Pictures would help

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If it's alu, it can't be fixed.

Really your call. I'd probably retire it from CX use, but I wouldn't be too concerned commuter-wise. The location of it means that even if it does fail, you still have the rest of the frame to keep you honest, so it won't be catastrophic.

Maybe use a sharpie or something to mark across the width and length of it. So if it does start getting worse you should be able to tell.

I'd put a lifetime on it; maybe retire it after 15 years to be safe and don't give it to anyone else to use.

I was about to give it to a friend, but I cant now. I'll hold onto it for commuting, and easy gravelly stuff at most I think. Strip it eventually and practice bike building on it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Will be fine IMHO, the top tube works on compression basis and its integrity is possibly the least important of them all.

Perhaps a thief attempted to use the bike as a lever to twist and break the u-lock, seen many frames damaged like that. That's why I use 2 point locking whenever I can.

Alek has spoken. It shall be kept as a runaround etc.

To be honest, it might have been there for ages.

I've another bike for friend should he want it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Alek has spoken.

a0582c12353593069d0a7198c7987d44.jpg

I was trusting your judgment. I was also trusting Seamus's judgement too.

I cycled up Howth Summit today. Part of me was thinking, it would be a real kicker if this failed on the way down.

I'll mark it as suggested to just watch it for now and it's going to be my commuter for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Similar issue but on a seat stay. Paint damage probably makes it look worse but thoughts on racing this frame in triathlons and commuting 25km each way around glencree, Enniskerry, the featherbeds and stocking lane?

Advertisement