Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much of you wages do you save?

• 21-05-2018 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

I aim for at least 70% and that's after rent and bills paid for. I might as well save before getting a mortgage. I'm 25.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You're doing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

About 1/4 of my wages after mortgage bills childcare food petrol tax insurance repairs maintenance blah blah blah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Fair play OP, I wish I'd had as much sense before I was married with kids, had I saved something then, I might be able to have savings now instead of just paying back loans!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

About 50%. If you include rent and bills its closer to 70%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

About 50% since January so that I could buy a house, got mortgage approved on Friday so will probably be spending all of it for the next few months.

Before that about 30%, aiming to get back to that by the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Nada, don't have that luxury when living day to day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

thebull85 wrote: »

Same :( Long commute + rent + bills + a little fella to support = not much left at the end of the month, and there always seems to be something unexpected that comes up :(

Oh well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I have no income at present so don't save.
    But am enjoying my savings at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

I suppose "better late than never" applies to me. Recently set up a DD to the credit union there.

Should be financially comfortable fifteen years after I die.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Same :( Long commute + rent + bills + a little fella to support = not much left at the end of the month, and there always seems to be something unexpected that comes up :(

Oh well!

Same boat mate, l feel your pain, lucky to have 50 quid to go for a pint at the end of the week. Thank f**k i enjoyed my 20s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Nothing or less than nothing, overdraft gets used if unexpected bills come in.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

But de meeja says we are all living hand to mouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Why would you include rent and bills as part of what you save?

Is Mr BinMan managing a stock portfolio for you?

Why would you include rent and bills as part of what you save?

Is Mr BinMan managing a stock portfolio for you?

Even second person mentioned their bills/rent I just gave a percentage of my wage, but you single mynpost out?

Even second person mentioned their bills/rent I just gave a percentage of my wage, but you single mynpost out?

Yes. Yes I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

33% of income of main wage and 100% of anything else i earn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

I cant even get my wages to last the month
    Let alone save

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

From our pensions we put about 25% in to deposits. Covers changing the cars, home improvements etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

From our pensions we put about 25% in to deposits. Covers changing the cars, home improvements etc.

You raided your pension to buy a car?

• Advertisement

Keep up. That man is receiving his pension and is in the fortunate position to be able to save 25% of that payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Same boat mate, l feel your pain, lucky to have 50 quid to go for a pint at the end of the week. Thank f**k i enjoyed my 20s

The REALLY depressing thing is that I'm on a supposedly "good wage", but the cost of living in this country is ridiculous - and for what? Piss-poor "services", crap infrastructure, and yet another property-related crisis (we've learned nothing!) :(

What? :confused: Read it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It used to be about 60%. Did that for a few years before I emigrated. Only recently spunked that fund on a house.

In the last few months I have saved exactly £50pm and that's just to accumulate a pot for a session in Edinburgh later in the Summer. I'd normally like to save quite a bit but there have been a few unexpected bills (as well as expected new bills) since moving into the house a few months back. So our proper saving is being done by the wife at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

I'm currently studying so I spend about 200 a week more than i earn. Savings will be gone by the time I start work again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

You’ll never save anything if you save at the end of the week/month. You have to do it at the start and train yourself to survive on what’s left. I’ve always been crap at saving and it’s only since I’ve had a deduction from wages straight to the credit union that I’ve managed to build up some savings

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

100 goes to the credit union on a standing order every week then I try and spend as little as possible from what's left. I essentially pretend I earn 100 less a week than I do so even if I don't save much from what's left I don't feel too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Might want to find a different pub if it's costing you 50 quid for a pint

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Skimpy enough here. 50 a month to prizebonds, and 100 per month special savings account I only access when I've a big bill to pay. Painter, chippy or plumber. When I do get a little extra, I play around in Degiro with it, on penny stocks.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    100 goes to the credit union on a standing order every week then I try and spend as little as possible from what's left. I essentially pretend I earn 100 less a week than I do so even if I don't save much from what's left I don't feel too bad.

That used to be my philosophy when I worked. Plus, whenever I got a rise or promotion I always put a percentage of it into savings immediately, so I didn't get used to having it. It all mounted up over the years and enabled early retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I save about a third of my salary every month. Its killing me at the moment but I need to get a mortgage within the next year.

Does using my cc instead of my laser count as saving?

Does using my cc instead of my laser count as saving?

As Laser Cards were replaced in 2014, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

A third but wedding's and stags are killing me at the moment, 6 in 3 months and none that can be refused really. Normally it's closer to half.

As Laser Cards were replaced in 2014, no.

You’ve literally blown my mind, maybe I should pay more attention to these magical cards I carry around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My experience of these threads is that you get people who are doing well posting to lord it over the huddle masses and people who are fcuked posting to whinge about how the man is screwing them... I'm the latter :(

cantdecide wrote: »
    My experience of these threads is that you get people who are doing well posting to lord it over the huddle masses and people who are fcuked posting to whinge about how the man is screwing them... I'm the latter :(

It also weeds out idiots like me who believed they have been using a laser card for the last 4 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

you can pay your rent and bills with 20% of your wages ?:eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Save?

Screen_20Shot_202014-10-07_20at_2011.19.58_20AM.0.png

donegal. wrote: »
    you can pay your rent and bills with 20% of your wages ?:eek:
    it's actually closer to 15%, rent is quite low considering the area I live (30 minutes from Dublin CC). But judging by your handle you should know about cheap rents up in Donegal ��

Bills I have are;
    Internet & TV (split three ways, I spend €30)
    Phone (€25)
    Light and heat (split three ways, roughly €40 every two months).
    Petrol (€120).

• Advertisement

Might want to find a different pub if it's costing you 50 quid for a pint

I wouldnt bother going the pub with any less. 7 or 8 pints and maybe a bit of grub on the way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I know this couple who are always whinging about how little they get in benefits as they crack open the gordons and tonic, light up their cigarettes and switch on their Sky Sports Q on their UHD television. They brought the whole family to Spain for a week in March. They could save a few bob from their benefits I think.
    The state does not owe them this lifestyle. The man is not to blame for their financial woes.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

0. Paying off wedding loan, credit card, mortgage, rates and usual bills.

Aim to have student loan and zero debt (bar mortgage) in 11 months but there's a honeymoon to be sorted :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Shrouds have no pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

On Payday quarter to savings, quarter to essential bills (Rent/electricity/Broadband).

Other half is split on non essential bills (car insurance/tax/health insurance/pension/mobile) and disposable income.

Anything left over at the end of the month is put into Credit Union.

Have been doing this for the past few years but am seeing less and less being available for Credit union as the cost of living is increasing and wage not keeping up. Disposable income outgoings has generally decreased as I'm getting older. Have started cutting out non essential bills (like TV, probably pension next).

Saving for a mortgage.

*Edit* Been keeping this system since the start of my professional career but another thing that is really a kick in the stomach is progressing to the higher rate of income tax. Any minor wage increases are now just been eating up the tax man and thanks to the higher cost of living year on year it seems things are just getting harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

_Puma_ wrote: »
    On Payday quarter to savings, quarter to essential bills (Rent/electricity/Broadband).

Other half is split on non essential bills (car insurance/tax/health insurance/pension/mobile) and disposable income.

Anything left over at the end of the month is put into Credit Union.

Have been doing this for the past few years but am seeing less and less being available for Credit union as the cost of living is increasing and wage not keeping up. Disposable income outgoings has generally decreased as I'm getting older. Have started cutting out non essential bills (like TV, probably pension next).

Saving for a mortgage.

It makes no sense to stop paying into a pension just so you can keep paying into the credit union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Shrouds have no pockets

But funerals cost a lot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I know this couple who are always whinging about how little they get in benefits as they crack open the gordons and tonic, light up their cigarettes and switch on their Sky Sports Q on their UHD television. They brought the whole family to Spain for a week in March. They could save a few bob from their benefits I think.
    The state does not owe them this lifestyle. The man is not to blame for their financial woes.

If they can stretch their pension to cover that, good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

tobsey wrote: »
    It makes no sense to stop paying into a pension just so you can keep paying into the credit union.

Will be a more pressing need for a Credit Union pot which will be likely used in the short to medium term (House furnishings, wedding etc...)

One thing that has helped wiping out any disposable income I have is Car insurance. It has jumped over 100% in the past 3 years (€600 - €1300, no claims and NCB increasing every year) . I drive a well maintained car and keep it serviced every year (doing small jobs like oil myself) but am being crucified as it is now over 15 years old. So much for being rewarded for looking after you car. No need or desire to change it other than high insurance cost which is nuts.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

How the hell can anyone save 30%, 50% or more of their wages? Can someone break down you budget for me? You must live on thin air and have almost zero luxuries...

• Advertisement
Advertisement