Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching accounts

Options
  • 21-05-2018 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi
    I've recently moved into a new apartment and I'm looking to switch my account from Electric Ireland to Bord Gais as they seem to have a better overall rate at the moment. I've been at my new address just under a month (I moved in on 26/4/18) and I have obviously been using the electricity while here under the Electric Ireland account. So my question is, do I submit a meter reading to Electric Ireland for the month that I have been here and *then* switch electricity supplier? Or can I switch before the account is settled with Electric Ireland? And lastly, will I incur any charges when I switch from Electric Ireland to Bord Gais?

Thanks a mill :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi LibbyMurphy53,

Thank you for getting in touch.

To switch the meter point reference number/MPRN (and gas point reference number/GPRN if relevant) to another provider, it is just a matter of taking a meter-reading and then switching to them directly. This meter-reading will be the point from which you will be billed with the other provider, and it will be the point up to which the final Electric Ireland bill will cover.

If the Electric Ireland account is in the previous occupant's name, and should you consider registering your name with Electric Ireland, this will be a separate account to the one that is aligned with your address at the moment. Therefore you could avail of Electric Ireland's new customer offer of the €175 bonus by registering here on the Electric Ireland website. There is also an automatic 5% saving off the units used on every electricity bill (or 8% off electricity and gas units each if you have both fuels). These savings do not expire.

If you still wish to register with another company though, so long as the current Electric Ireland account is not in your name, there is no charge to register with the other provider.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LibbyMurphy53

Hi Una
    Thanks very much for your reply. That makes sense. Will I receive a bill automatically from Electric Ireland when I switch to Bord Gais? Or do I need to call Electric Ireland for the bill (to pay for the month that I have been here). Also, if there are any outstanding charges on the account (from the previous tenant prior to me moving in) would I need to pay that too? I don't have any contact details for the previous tenant in the event that they may owe money on the account.

Hi Libby,

Thanks for your message.

Just to clarify: is the Electric Ireland account for your new address in the previous occupant's name?

Thanks again,
    Una

Yes it is.

Thanks Libby.

Did you take a meter-reading when you moved in? If not, can you private message us the MPRN, the address and the date you moved in?

Ideally, an account is closed when a customer moves out but we may be able to backdate the bill to your name from when you moved in, and then when you switch, the closing Electric Ireland bill will also be in your name.

Thanks,
    Una

• Advertisement

Ah right ok I didn't know that. I just presumed that the account would be in the previous tenant's name. I didn't actually check that. Yeah I'll pm you now with those details. I assume that I will have to pay for the month that I have been here thus far.

Hi Libby,

Thanks for your post.

It is recommended that a customer always close their account when they move out, or to open an account as soon as they move in (which automatically closes the previous occupant's account if still open). However we understand customers are not always familiar with the process.

We just need to request also that you include your full name on the message (and only the MPRN - and GPRN if there is gas supplied by Electric Ireland; we do not require the previous account-holder's account number) along with the address.

Best regards,
    Una

Advertisement