Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAHENY Second Level Schools

Options
  • 21-05-2018 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a son, just going into 5th Class in Sept. He is in an Educate Together and is a really well-rounded smart and outgoing kid.
    We have just moved into Raheny, Dublin 5. I want to get as much info as possible on secondary school now so I'm prepared!! I know I have a bit of time still. But I also know that it's a minefield!
    I don't understand the process at all. I see that different schools have different admissions policies etc. Some don't take names until a year before and some I don't qualify for due to location etc. or religion. (We are not religious)
    Then there's a Deanery. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can easily find out info about all of this. Or what school in the area are good? (Good in terms of the wellbeing of the child not necessarily good grades)
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Inspection reports for schools can be found here. Once you read a few of them, you get a feel for them and can then read between the lines as to what the reports are saying.

I don't think they can use the religion thing anymore as a way to keep you out.

I think many Educate Together children would go on to Mount Temple on the Malahide road, but that's not exactly Raheny.

The thing is with schools, they change. Where I went to 40 years ago might have been very academic then, but (non fee-paying) schools now take children who would not have attended standard secondary school in the past and this has an effect on many things, some positive, some not so. I would have no idea what the school I went to is like now.

There is no school will get it all right, but I think if the priority is the well-being of the child, they are more than halfway there. Perhaps visit a few schools? Ask them what their special needs department is like - this usually tells you a multitude about their attitude to difference, of all sorts. Talk to the neighbours and their children.

Sometimes if I am on a bus route that passes a number of schools, I watch how the children interact with each other. That's quite an eye-opener, believe me, as to what probably goes on (and is tolerated?) in the schools as well.

At the end of the day, your home set up and influence will be the biggest factor in it all. Good luck with the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can also find local schools using this: https://www.education.ie/en/find-a-school

Advertisement