Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike - >4000euro

Options
  • 21-05-2018 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Right, I want to get the lightest ultegra di2 (rim or disc doesnt matter) endurance type road bike in that price bracket.
    Finding weight info is a pain at the best of times, so thought I'd ask here. Whats the lightest endurance type road bike frame around at that price? Trek Emonda?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I thought the Madone was the Trek endurance model with the iso coupler on the front and rear tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Borderfox wrote: »
    I thought the Madone was the Trek endurance model with the iso coupler on the front and rear tubes.

No, the Madone is the aero. Domane is the endurance, with the Emonda being the lightweight climbing model. I think the Emonda is actually the one range without the IsoSpeed feature, as it probably adds weight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

cython wrote: »
    No, the Madone is the aero. Domane is the endurance, with the Emonda being the lightweight climbing model. I think the Emonda is actually the one range without the IsoSpeed feature, as it probably adds weight!

I'm renting an emonda at the etape this year so will find out, I believe that trek have two geometry options, h1 & h2, with h2 being the less severe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cython wrote: »
    it was only a couple of months ago that i realised they were all anagrams.

it was only a couple of months ago that i realised they were all anagrams.

Ha, same here, I wonder how many other options they can come up with from those letters!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

for the dutch riders, onedam? (works on two levels, too!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They could have a ladies specific one called the dameon

and go super niche targeting compuer scientists with a Trek Daemon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-x-lite-cdx-ultegra-di2-2661619

7.3kg, disc brakes, di2, endurance frame - €3,899.

Fian wrote: »
    https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-x-lite-cdx-ultegra-di2-2661619

7.3kg, disc brakes, di2, endurance frame - €3,899.

Are Canyon lighter?

• Advertisement

why is lightness the ultimate deciding factor? you seem to be asking specifically about the lightest bike available, rather than the best light bike?

why is lightness the ultimate deciding factor? you seem to be asking specifically about the lightest bike available, rather than the best light bike?

Its not, but I'd like to know.
    Best is subjective.
    As you brought it up, what is the best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Cervelo R5 is pretty light I believe.. This guy took it to the next level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fimo3ZRg8A

heh, i've never bought a bike near that price bracket. but i was watching the GCN show on titanium bikes last night, and checking out the price of enigma bikes. you could get a 7.5KG enigma Ti, for your price - but you wouldn't get Di2.

You can get a De Rosa Idol with Mechanical Dura Ace from CRC and Wiggle for under your price at the moment too. Upgrade the wheels and you'd have a pretty swish machine. Alternatively, you can get the frame, groupset and wheels separately and save some money

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

terrydel wrote: »
    Ha, same here, I wonder how many other options they can come up with from those letters!

720, I think.

it's a pity armstrong ruined the relationship between trek and greg lemond, would have been great to have a trek lemonda.
    though it reads a little like lemonade.

it's a pity armstrong ruined the relationship between trek and greg lemond, would have been great to have a trek lemonda.
    though it reads a little like lemonade.

Who doesn't like lemonade?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

As someone else noted, there's more to life than weight. I realise that's the question being asked...but comfort is more likely to matter to riders of endurance machines than a few grams here or there. ridefar.info (https://ridefar.info/bike/cycling-speed/weight/) has some pretty illuminating things to say about weight and performance, from the perspective of the hard core endurance rider.

Were I have to have 4k to spend, personally, I'd look at a Columbus Genius frame from ciclicorsa.com, get it painted whatever colours I wanted, built up with Ultegra Di2, and put some handbuilt wheels with tubeless tyres on it (I really like the AL33 rims, say from wheeltec). For endurance, I'd add the ergon split seatpost, and the redshift suspension stem..and a brooks or Gilles Berthoud saddle (tho this last will spoil the coolness factor somewhat).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

At that point, the easiest way of shaving weight would be to shave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

brownian wrote: »
    Were I have to have 4k to spend, personally, I'd look at a Columbus Genius frame from ciclicorsa.com
    I like metal, but I honestly don't believe that the best metal frames ride as well as the best carbon ones.

I don't have any evidence of this, other than my experience with expensive titanium, which looks lovely but rides worse than even mid-range carbon.

It's hard to get objective opinions because people who buy metal frames in the 21st century tend to love them unconditionally.

More than €4,000?

Get yourself a Parlee. That’s a bit more than €4000 though.

Lumen wrote: »
    I like metal, but I honestly don't believe that the best metal frames ride as well as the best carbon ones.

I don't have any evidence of this, other than my experience with expensive titanium, which looks lovely but rides worse than even mid-range carbon.

It's hard to get objective opinions because people who buy metal frames in the 21st century tend to love them unconditionally.
    *stands up on the bus*
    i've never ridden a carbon bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

*stands up on the bus*
    i've never ridden a carbon bike.

I've only ridden one once. Alu is good enough for me. Not that gcn are definitive but they'd buy alu with better componentry as well.

https://youtu.be/h3RG5dztrXM

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

BMC Road Machine?

A Bit under budget
    http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/3193/bmc-bikes
    A Bit over budged with DI2
    http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/3194/bmc-bikes

Or a CAAD12 with DuraAce. Aluminium frame, with some excellent reviews. And that Purple colour is beautiful! Carbon wheels.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=100108

Aegir wrote: »
    More than €4,000?

D'oh, obviously meant less than!

that's some discount, i'll grant that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Aegir wrote: »
    More than €4,000?

When I saw the unconstrained title of the post, I got excited.

Imagine my disappointment when I saw there were very few 20k+ bikes being shown.

• Advertisement

that's some discount, i'll grant that!

I've contacted them, the frame cannot be upgraded to disc which might account for the heavy discount.
    Its a great frame, my only concern would be I've never ridden a 52/36 and being 64kg albeit a pretty good climber, I'm not sure it would suit me over a compact.
    Opinions on the price?

Advertisement