Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike - >4000euro

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    When I saw the unconstrained title of the post, I got excited.

Imagine my disappointment when I saw there were very few 20k+ bikes being shown.

I always mix up my greater thans with my less thans and vice versa :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Groupset and wheels alone would cost well over 2k you'd think,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

terrydel wrote: »
    my only concern would be I've never ridden a 52/36
    can the rings be bought separately and refitted?

I'll ask. Technically theres no reason it cant be set up as a 50/34 as far as I know, but Im not well versed technically on this stuff, no experience of dura ace.
    I just ride the things!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You can get replacement chainrings for about 150. Sell the others to recoup some money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This is a bargain if 54cm is your size, its a climbing bike not endurance mind, certainly very light, and has Di2.

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott-addict-rc-di2-dura-ace-9050-series-road-bike-black-green-2017-p334500

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ìnteresting that a climbing bike is sporting a mid compact rather than a compact?

ìnteresting that a climbing bike is sporting a mid compact rather than a compact?

Its a high end climbing bike so probably aimed at better cyclists, hence my worry. Im a good climber at sportive level but having never tried this setup Im concerned it might not work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Its a high end climbing bike so probably aimed at better cyclists, hence my worry. Im a good climber at sportive level but having never tried this setup Im concerned it might not work for me.

I have 52/36 and 27t on the back. I would like to have 28 or 29t, but there is nothing here I can’t get up here with what I have (I am about 66kg and I would say you are a better climber). With shimano Dura ace bcd, you can run 50/34 from same bcd so easy to fix that.

Great price and if there was a 52 I would consider. Mind, if you add up the parts, it was never a £7599 bike - that would make the frame about £4K and that is custom carbon pricing.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I have 52/36 and 27t on the back. I would like to have 28 or 29t, but there is nothing here I can’t get up here with what I have (I am about 66kg and I would say you are a better climber). With shimano Dura ace bcd, you can run 50/34 from same bcd so easy to fix that.

Great price and if there was a 52 I would consider. Mind, if you add up the parts, it was never a £7599 bike - that would make the frame about £4K and that is custom carbon pricing.

Thanks, do you know me :D
    Stupid qs but what is bcd?

• Advertisement

Thanks, do you know me :D
    Stupid qs but what is bcd?

Went up Glenmacnass with in 2015. I was on a Focus. You probably have wings now!

BCD is bolt circle diameter and chain sets are going more standard so you can fit alternative ring combinations on the same spider (attachment for rings)

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Went up Glenmacnass with in 2015. I was on a Focus. You probably have wings now!

BCD is bolt circle diameter and chain sets are going more standard so you can fit alternative ring combinations on the same spider (attachment for rings)

Haha, I remember, I'd be a lot better now I think.
    Havent cycled that way in nearly a year now, need to change that.
    Thanks for the info there, that makes perfect sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You have a huge amount of leeway when setting the bike up to make it as aggressive or not as required. The chain rings can easily be changed, I bought a bike off them a few years back, was also a Scott, lovely bike still my race bike to this day. That's a very serious bike at a bloody good price, when I bought mine they didn't have my size and I mailed them, they amended the website to make my size available, so if its not there in your size, no harm in dropping them a mail.

Inquitus wrote: »
    You have a huge amount of leeway when setting the bike up to make it as aggressive or not as required. The chain rings can easily be changed, I bought a bike off them a few years back, was also a Scott, lovely bike still my race bike to this day. That's a very serious bike at a bloody good price, when I bought mine they didn't have my size and I mailed them, they amended the website to make my size available, so if its not there in your size, no harm in dropping them a mail.

Ive a Giant Defy 1 now, she's 2013 model size medium.
    What size crank would be on that, guessing its 172.5? Should I go for that size if getting a new 50/34 chainset here?
    Shop has quoted 420 sterling for the dura ace chainset which seems expensive.

you will be able to read crank length off the inside of the cranks.
    and you shouldn't need to buy a whole new chainset, just buy replacement chainrings.

you will be able to read crank length off the inside of the cranks.
    and you shouldn't need to buy a whole new chainset, just buy replacement chainrings.

I've mailed them to enquire about that.
    Very much considering this and may just go with the setup as is and see how i get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Because something is "reduced" by 60% doesn't necessarily mean its good value to you. Only a complete tool ever paid £7,500 for that bike

You are left with
    *a bike with disposable €1000 wheels
    *a groupset you can't maintain yourself and will eventually be obsolete in a way mechanical can't
    *€3,500 on a bike you never sat on, don't know if it'll fit you properly or like the feel of.

You might be as well off with a random €1500 105 aksium shod bike off the shelf as this and it'll easier/cheaper to maintain.

If you feel you have to spend €4000 why not get a frame made for you in material of choice, that will take the tyre/rim width you want? €1000 will cover decent wheels and groupset.

Moving a derailleur a few mm accurately and consistently is a solved riddle with quite a while(5800 is as much as you need). You won't notice any difference between €400 and €1000 wheels except in your wallet when it comes to replacing them.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Because something is "reduced" by 60% doesn't necessarily mean its good value to you. Only a complete tool ever paid £7,500 for that bike

You are left with
    *a bike with disposable €1000 wheels
    *a groupset you can't maintain yourself and will eventually be obsolete in a way mechanical can't
    *€3,500 on a bike you never sat on, don't know if it'll fit you properly or like the feel of.

You might be as well off with a random €1500 105 aksium shod bike off the shelf as this and it'll easier/cheaper to maintain.

If you feel you have to spend €4000 why not get a frame made for you in material of choice, that will take the tyre/rim width you want? €1000 will cover decent wheels and groupset.

Moving a derailleur a few mm accurately and consistently is a solved riddle with quite a while(5800 is as much as you need). You won't notice any difference between €400 and €1000 wheels except in your wallet when it comes to replacing them.

I don't feel I 'have' to spend anything, its a budget I've set myself, and Im trying to find the best value I can for it, nothing more than that.
    I'm not an n+1 person, I've been cycling now for 6 years and had the same entry-level bike the entire time, I've improved hugely in that time and feel like treating myself to something nice. Loads of people buy Canyon and Rose etc online and probably never sat on them, I dont see that as an issue and so long as the frame size is correct, its nothing a bikefit wouldnt address. In any case, there are shops here selling this frame and I can go sit on them if I think I really want to buy.
    So there you go.

Advertisement