Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out sick from work

Options
  • 21-05-2018 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Hi all, I had a surgical procedure Carried out nearly two weeks ago, and I have been out of work since. the Hospital gave me a letter for two weeks, however I have since had to return to my GP who said I am stil unfit for work due to pain and discomfort of where the surgery was.

He gave me pain relief and told me to take another week off, that’s 3 weeks then being out of work. I don’t get paid for being out sick but I am worried because I am on a temporary contract and I feel they are getting annoyed with me being out so long.

I feel I could maybe go back, problem is the pain fluctuates during the day. I rang today and got a cold reception from my manager when I informed him I wouldn’t be back this week. I feel now under pressure to go back early this week, as I don’t want to lose my job!

I know the work has Built up in work and it’s unfair to leave people waiting on me while I am out sick, just worrying over it all.

Not sure what to do, the surgery wasn’t planned it was something they had to do in the hospital when I went in.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 the 1nice1

bri007 wrote: »
    Hi all, I had a surgical procedure Carried out nearly two weeks ago, and I have been out of work since. the Hospital gave me a letter for two weeks, however I have since had to return to my GP who said I am stil unfit for work due to pain and discomfort of where the surgery was.

He gave me pain relief and told me to take another week off, that’s 3 weeks then being out of work. I don’t get paid for being out sick but I am worried because I am on a temporary contract and I feel they are getting annoyed with me being out so long.

I feel I could maybe go back, problem is the pain fluctuates during the day. I rang today and got a cold reception from my manager when I informed him I wouldn’t be back this week. I feel now under pressure to go back early this week, as I don’t want to lose my job!

I know the work has Built up in work and it’s unfair to leave people waiting on me while I am out sick, just worrying over it all.

Not sure what to do, the surgery wasn’t planned it was something they had to do in the hospital when I went in.

Thanks

My company had a policy that even if I wanted to come back and work but a doctor certified me unfit for work I was not allowed to by my employer

My employer advised they were not covered by insurance on the grounds a medical doctor certified me unfit to work so therefore I could not be in the office/on site

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If your signed off and not 100% hold on and heal properly, take it easy on the painkillers unless you really really need them. Just be on time even a little early when you get back and show your making a good effort if there's a hope of a full time job, it'll be forgotten about in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thank you both for the reply.

Yes I will rest for the week, and yes I don't think I need the painkillers just precautionary in case!

I will defiantly show willingness to stay on in my job, arrive earlier than normal and stay later to try and catch up on things when I go back next week.

Just frustrated this happened and I am out of work.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Is there any work you could be doing (or keeping in the loop on) while you work from home?

No unfortunately not, it's confidential setting I work in, unable and against regulation to work from home
    GreeBo wrote: »
    Is there any work you could be doing (or keeping in the loop on) while you work from home?

• Advertisement

• Dont sweat it bri007. Your body takes time to heal. Make it easy for it to do so.

Your employers are not allowed to let you come back to work as you have been signed off.

You sound very conscientious, and as an employee I'm sure your employers have already noted that and will be looking forward to getting you back.

If you can, try and enjoy your time off. Get a good book, or if you can, get out in the fresh air, you'll be back at work soon enough, so take advantage of the time off. :)

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I have a book I got for my birthday I am going to start reading tomorrow.

Just anxious to get back to work, I need to focus on my health first I know, thanks again everyone.

Dont sweat it bri007. Your body takes time to heal. Make it easy for it to do so.

Your employers are not allowed to let you come back to work as you have been signed off.

You sound very conscientious, and as an employee I'm sure your employers have already noted that and will be looking forward to getting you back.

If you can, try and enjoy your time off. Get a good book, or if you can, get out in the fresh air, you'll be back at work soon enough, so take advantage of the time off. :)

Advertisement