Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog minding from home

Options
  • 21-05-2018 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently started using a website called pawshake.ie where I can list myself as a dog minder, and people can use the site to book their dogs to stay in my home.

I've started wondering, is this all above board? I'm assuming services like that couldn't exist if it wasn't really permitted to run that kind of service from your home... However, I am wondering if there is anything I should be aware of regarding running that kind of business from a private residence?

Also, regarding tax, do I just need to declare any income on a Form 12 at the end of the year? Or is there something else I should be doing?

Sorry, I haven't a clue about all this really.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

have you asked the pawshake guys directly ?

I'd imagine they have the lowdown on whats what

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

Bandara wrote: »
    have you asked the pawshake guys directly ?

I'd imagine they have the lowdown on whats what

I did send a mail, but no reply yet. Just thought people here might have more specific info regarding local rules. They're an international company so I'm fully expecting them to reply with something like "everyone's situation is specific so talk to a local adviser" or something to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

You also have housemydog.ie - irish based, but operates internationally https://housemydog.com/

Of course you can operate a business from home. The restrictions are on access to the public that would cause issues with traffic, access and competing with rate paying businesses - e.g. operating a shop.

Dog minding would not come under those restrictions.

as for tax - normal rules would apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

All dogs are different, some will settle into your home and be no trouble. Others may decide to bark and howl incessantly until their owners return. How do you get on with your neighbours?

How secure is your garden? Some dogs can jump 6 feet and/or are escape artists digging their way out.

They will treat your house like a toilet, marking their new territory and crapping inside. Any young dogs will chew anything and everything.

Your house/garden really should be cleared by your local council to mind dogs. All your dogs should be vaccinated against kennel cough before they arrive.

Food & feeding. Dogs always want what another dog has. If you are feeding dogs their own food, the other dogs will want it more than their own. It can take several days for dogs to grow accustomed to new food. Until they are, expect runny mess - everywhere!!

It can be a very lucrative business but it’s really not worth the trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

All dogs are different, some will settle into your home and be no trouble. Others may decide to bark and howl incessantly until their owners return. How do you get on with your neighbours?

How secure is your garden? Some dogs can jump 6 feet and/or are escape artists digging their way out.

They will treat your house like a toilet, marking their new territory and crapping inside. Any young dogs will chew anything and everything.

Your house/garden really should be cleared by your local council to mind dogs. All your dogs should be vaccinated against kennel cough before they arrive.

Food & feeding. Dogs always want what another dog has. If you are feeding dogs their own food, the other dogs will want it more than their own. It can take several days for dogs to grow accustomed to new food. Until they are, expect runny mess - everywhere!!

It can be a very lucrative business but it’s really not worth the trouble.

Thanks for the info!

I've a lot of experience working with dogs, and I have been doing this for a few months, so I've gotten used to a lot of that stuff already.

I require people to provide their own food, so as not to upset the dogs digestion, and there is no free-feeding so dogs won't steal each others food.

I have had a few dogs that mark in the house, but I have gotten used to cleaning quickly and I also don't take un-neutered males so that limits it a fair bit.

The garden is fully enclosed, with walls over 6 foot, but I only take small/medium dogs anyway so that should not be a problem.

In regards to noisy dogs, if a dog stays that is too noisy, they wont stay again. And I am also there for the most part so it hasn't really been a problem yet.

I'm not looking to take a tonne of dogs, just a few at a time at the max so it really isn't too difficult to manage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thanks for the info!

I've a lot of experience working with dogs, and I have been doing this for a few months, so I've gotten used to a lot of that stuff already.

I require people to provide their own food, so as not to upset the dogs digestion, and there is no free-feeding so dogs won't steal each others food.

I have had a few dogs that mark in the house, but I have gotten used to cleaning quickly and I also don't take un-neutered males so that limits it a fair bit.

The garden is fully enclosed, with walls over 6 foot, but I only take small/medium dogs anyway so that should not be a problem.

In regards to noisy dogs, if a dog stays that is too noisy, they wont stay again. And I am also there for the most part so it hasn't really been a problem yet.

I'm not looking to take a tonne of dogs, just a few at a time at the max so it really isn't too difficult to manage.

Ok, looks like you're going in with your eyes open. Dog owners will always prefer sending their dogs to a minder as opposed to a kennel - they're just prisons for dogs! Once your name gets out there, you may find it hard to turn away business.
    Do you offer walking as an extra or included? Don't be afraid to charge it as an extra.
    Insurance. Get in touch with www.bizbroker.ie and ask them to quote you for kennel/dog minding liability insurance.
    Good luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

As an extra income, you could look at dog training as well while they are on the premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

On the insurance aspect, its usually covered by the commission fee paid to the facilitator/booking engine.

Beware of taking bookings privately, you'd need your own public liability insurance then.

Advertisement