Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair to interline with AerLingus

Options
  • 21-05-2018 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,890 ✭✭✭✭

Ryanair have "reached agreement with EI" ,and the computer systems need to talk, for Ryanair to sell transatlantic flights with AerLingus via Dublin before end 2018.

According to Michel O'Leary on SkyNews

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

If you can’t beat them, join them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Great news, particularly for the many more obscure destinations in Eastern Europe Ryanair serve that would would be very price sensitive and willing to live with a long layover in DUB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Interesting. Wonder how this will effect Stobart and how easily the T1 - T2 transfer will be? I don't think theres any easy way to do it at the moment other than going landside, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Masala

Didn't we hear this before????? But only on US connectivity???

Can't see it working myself

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Interesting. Wonder how this will effect Stobart and how easily the T1 - T2 transfer will be? I don't think theres any easy way to do it at the moment other than going landside, is this true?

On the shared routes, Stobart has the fights timed to connect and Ryanair has them timed for max utilisation. So only some extremely price sensitive passengers would be likely to change.

Longer term, EI seeing large connecting volumes from FR on a route could lead to it returning to mainline but that isn't likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Hmm.. Wonder why O'Leary didn't choose to align with Norwegian to the U.S given there budget status, unlike AL?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Hmm.. Wonder why O'Leary didn't choose to align with Norwegian to the U.S given there budget status, unlike AL?

There is nothing to stop them doing so; but Norwegians range of destinations ex-Dublin and EIs range of destinations ex-Dublin can't really be compared.

They already interline with other long haul airlines elsewhere (Air Europa for instance), there is no exclusivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Ryanair will have some fun trying to hook into EI IT.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Masala wrote: »
    Didn't we hear this before????? But only on US connectivity???

Can't see it working myself
    Airlines the world over codeshare and interline to allow one itinerary connecting flights. This is all this is, why wouldn’t it work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Masala

Locker10a wrote: »
    Airlines the world over codeshare and interline to allow one itinerary connecting flights. This is all this is, why wouldn’t it work ?

One of the main problems is ... how much of the fare Airline B gets when you book you whole itinerary thru Airline A. If Airline B is getting €50 on its own website selling direct....is it willing to give Airline A a % cut for adding the same leg onto Airline A's booking??? Sure MOL wont give Travel Agents a commission - why should he give it to his 'best bud' Aer Lingus???

Also... whey there is a delay and pax misses his connection... who gonna pick up the tab and the EU251 cost??

I just can't see what is in it for Ryanair??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Wonder if this is aer lingus moving to shrink its European operation.
    Some of their 320s and 321s are getting on a bit.

kona wrote: »
    Wonder if this is aer lingus moving to shrink its European operation.
    Some of their 320s and 321s are getting on a bit.
    I honestly think it’s just to grow their transatlantic traffic which is their focus for the past 5 years or so. Their fleet renewal, or lack of on short haul is probably a separate issue and a purely economic one, why pay through the nose for brand new aircraft when the ones you have a perfectly fine, do the same thing, and have a lower lease cost or are owned ?! Fully using the assists you have seems to be a focus now of all IAG carriers.
    Maybe as a consequence of this deal if it works we will see short haul shrink but I don’t think that’s a plan. EI short haul has always been profitable even when long haul wasn’t.

Masala wrote: »

One of the main problems is ... how much of the fare Airline B gets when you book you whole itinerary thru Airline A. If Airline B is getting €50 on its own website selling direct....is it willing to give Airline A a % cut for adding the same leg onto Airline A's booking??? Sure MOL wont give Travel Agents a commission - why should he give it to his 'best bud' Aer Lingus???

Also... whey there is a delay and pax misses his connection... who gonna pick up the tab and the EU251 cost??

I just can't see what is in it for Ryanair??
    Well there must be something in it for Ryanair ! They already do it in Madrid with Air Europe and if other airlines all over the world do it there’s obviously money to be made or a business benefit to it somewhere. They aren’t the only low cost carrier to get into this side of the business easyJet are doing it now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

While I don't know how it will work, I suspect no FR flights will be on EI website. It will likely be like an Easyjet Worldwide website set up and FR will do most of the marketing in Europe for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Well there must be something in it for Ryanair ! They already do it in Madrid with Air Europe and if other airlines all over the world do it there’s obviously money to be made or a business benefit to it somewhere. They aren’t the only low cost carrier to get into this side of the business easyJet are doing it now too.

Do they?

As far as I know, they sell Air Europa flights but they don't allow connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

As far as I know there will be an intermediary sitting between the two airlines that carries the risk for missed connections etc.

The new Transfer facility in T2 is designed for this; there is a bus entry point at the ramp level; Ryanair pax will be bussed from Pier 1 to Transfers; presumably in the other direction it will be a case of allowing passengers coming off EI flights to walk via Transfers into departures that allows them go to their onward flight without having to split folks between various onward carriers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

This could be the start of something massive- not necessarily based in Dub alone. Thought I’d never see and witness the day.

A good idea but is the infrastructure there for it? Absolutely not in my opinion, it will only end up making life worse for Irish passengers with an even worse congested Dublin and likely increase ticket prices if there is added demand from around Europe for those same seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Oh what a walk from an inbound TATL at the end of T2 to the end of the 100 gates for the onward, you'd nearly need to pack a flask for the hike lol

trellheim wrote: »
    Oh what a walk from an inbound TATL at the end of T2 to the end of the 100 gates for the onward, you'd nearly need to pack a flask for the hike lol
    Not much different to connecting in LGW, LHR, AMS, CDG etc

• Advertisement

Doltanian wrote: »
    A good idea but is the infrastructure there for it? Absolutely not in my opinion, it will only end up making life worse for Irish passengers with an even worse congested Dublin and likely increase ticket prices if there is added demand from around Europe for those same seats.

What infrastructure is required in your opinion?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    What infrastructure is required in your opinion?

Much larger security screening areas with increased staffing, larger passport control checks and a separate passport lane for Irish passports only. The third runway is badly needed also a metro connection and a proper bus station area besides the current shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

trellheim wrote: »

A quick measurement on satellite puts it at a mile, and that doesn't include back & forth bits. Dublin is poorly served by travellators, especially the long corridor to the 100 gates.

Doltanian wrote: »
    Much larger security screening areas with increased staffing, larger passport control checks and a separate passport lane for Irish passports only. The third runway is badly needed also a metro connection and a proper bus station area besides the current shambles.

Can’t have an “Irish only” queue; only an EU\EEA one. Transfers (as opposed to self connects) will happen through the new Transfers facility in T2 (provided it’s not a T1 Pier 3 or T1 Pier 2 arrival as far as I know) - it has its own immigration area. That area, according to what I have been told, has a capacity of 2,000 per hour (!!!) provided its staffed and subject to the passenger profile (nationality). Security screening doesn’t come into it for almost all Transfers.

If Ryanair becomes the Pier 1 exclusive user (possible now because of the segregation in Pier 2) then FR Transfers won’t interfere with arriving passengers.

No need for new infrastructure (beyond what is already under construction)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Can’t have an “Irish only” queue; only an EU\EEA one. Transfers (as opposed to self connects) will happen through the new Transfers facility in T2 (provided it’s not a T1 Pier 3 or T1 Pier 2 arrival as far as I know) - it has its own immigration area. That area, according to what I have been told, has a capacity of 2,000 per hour (!!!) provided its staffed and subject to the passenger profile (nationality). Security screening doesn’t come into it for almost all Transfers.

If Ryanair becomes the Pier 1 exclusive user (possible now because of the segregation in Pier 2) then FR Transfers won’t interfere with arriving passengers.

No need for new infrastructure (beyond what is already under construction)

One Major problem with the connections area at T2 is that it currently closes at 1600.
    From what i heard the DAA wont change that time.

andy_g wrote: »
    One Major problem with the connections area at T2 is that it currently closes at 1600.
    From what i heard the DAA wont change that time.

The last EI connections stop 15.15 hence the 16.00 closure. They will open as required the only later connections are a handful of EY passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

The Transfers area in DUB is essentially an Aer Lingus facility in that it is built around EI’s transatlantic operation. There are few transfers after 15:30 or so because there are no long haul arrivals after that bringing to EI. Ethiopian doesn’t sell LAX to Europe via Dublin or Europe via DUB to Addis and Emirates don’t sell transfers through Dublin officially. It would be illogical for someone to fly from the continent via Dublin to the U.K. or vice versa. There are EY transfers inbound in the afternoon and out in the 19:10 departure but not many. The keep transfers open tied up 6-8 staff for the players involved (daa, immigration, Aer Lingus). DUB will never be an LHR or FRA or CDG or AMS for Transfers so it really is about the North Atlantic at DUB in terms of volume transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,890 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Ryanair CEO: Aer Lingus deal will kickstart connections
    Michael O’Leary has said only a “tiny” number of passengers are connecting with Spanish carrier Air Europa, but he is expecting a new deal with Aer Lingus to be the acid test for the model.
    Just over a year ago, Ryanair began selling Air Europa long-haul flights on its website, forming the foundation for a wider connecting tie-up between the two airlines....
    paywall

• Advertisement
Advertisement