Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodger Habits

Options
  • 21-05-2018 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have a new lodger in my house and she is renting the room and basically living in the bedroom. This would not bother me only for her cooking. She is of a different nationality and culture and the cooking odors are very strong. We sorted this by agreeing that she would close kitchen door while cooking and open windows. The odors from the cooking had been going upstairs. Anyway that was sorted but now I am still getting very strong food odors in my bedroom and upstairs. I realised this is because when she cooks she brings all her food up to her room and eats it there. I even saw her coming downstairs with a big pot. My initial concern is the odor from her room but also whether this will penetrate the furnishings which are all new and of very good quality. I know it is Ramadan and maybe she is eating at different times. She is quite anti social so I assume that is why she does not want to eat in the kitchen. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

If you are an owner occupied and your worried about the smell staying there and your not a fan of the person from a social level either. Just get rid of her. She’s a licensee and can be removed fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Yeah I own the house and take good care of it so want it to be kept like that. I guess I don't mind too much that she keeps to herself even if it is almost to an avoidance level. I'm more unhappy about the strong odours emanating from her bedroom. I guess I'll talk to her again this evening about keeping cooked food in the bedroom...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 helplessartist

Just speak to her about your concerns, she made an effort to fix it the first time your brought it to your attention so I'm sure she will this time too. I don't agree with getting rid of her for something so easily resolved by just asking her to eat in the kitchen.

Advertisement