Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parcel Motel Viability

• 21-05-2018 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jw_sweetman

Tried to purchase something off the UK CEX website recently. They don't deliver to Ireland, so I tried using Parcel Motel for the order. The order was initially accepted, but shortly after I received a message saying that my order had been cancelled and that my account had been suspended as they do not deliver to motel addresses for security reasons. Just wondering, are there any other UK shops which have the same policy towards Parcel motel?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Loads. Anywhere that has been bitten with someone requesting a return from Ireland be paid for when they delivered to a UK address will likely be wary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,058 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

L1011 wrote: »
    Loads. Anywhere that has been bitten with someone requesting a return from Ireland be paid for when they delivered to a UK address will likely be wary.

Wouldn't the company only be obliged to take the return from a UK address then, ie provide a voucher only for UK pick up. Its up to the person who bought it from the wrong country to get it back to the retailer.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Wouldn't the company only be obliged to take the return from a UK address then, ie provide a voucher only for UK pick up. Its up to the person who bought it from the wrong country to get it back to the retailer.

Yes, but people get very pissy with retailers, get stuff lost through the returns system and blame the retailer etc. It simply isn't worth the hassle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I never had a problem with any retailer and parcel motel. Obviously if you have an item delivered to a UK (parcel motel) address and you want to return the item you couldn’t expect the retailer to cover a return from Ireland.

You would think common sense would tell you that. Parcel motel actually have a returns service for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Its used by scammers quite frequently, and with the onus on the store to prove that a parcel was ordered and delivered to the cardholder, delivery to effectively modern day PO Boxes has high risks.

I'm involved in online retail and any delivery to a PM address has to be approved before dispatch for this reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I usually buy from amazon and a good bit of eBay and there you have history I suppose. I purchased from a retailer in London the other week and now that I think of it their policy was the first purchase has to go to your actual home address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

UK CEX

You're hitting up against the biggest issue. Firms with Irish and UK arms don't want the much more affordable UK arm cannibalising the Irish arms sales. UK only retailers are far less likely to block PM/AP/PW.

I thought CEX UK only shipped if the delivery address matched the payment address? Personally I've never been able to find a way around this.

I thought CEX UK only shipped if the delivery address matched the payment address? Personally I've never been able to find a way around this.

An Post's currency cards allow temporary fake cardholder addresses I believe.

Advertisement