Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

midgets?? - anyway to stop them?

Options
  • 21-05-2018 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

it's really nice to go outside in the evening if I can. Is there a way to stop all those midgets hanging around me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Little people have every right to be anywhere they want once they're not breaking the law.

Midges on the other hand are a different story. Is there any stagnant water nearby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

Stop dressing like Willy Wonka and you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

just follow the yellow brick road ,Dorothy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 VainHard Bendix

Very high steps can be effective. Door steps, stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

DEET.
    Walnut trees.
    Bats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I will avoid making midget jokes and suggest a harmless insect repellent such as citronella - there are expensive and exotic chemical products, but citronella in the form of, say, Mosi Guard - my preference. Don't bother with candles, incense or mozzy repellent plants for deterring insects, go for the cream/rub on stuff.

Edit: Deet is considered a very dodgy insecticide and not recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

How can there be any midges annoying you when every single one in Ireland seems to spend it whole life trying to bite me?

Seriously, if anyone has any tips, especially ones that don't smell absolutely manky, please share.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Hope you mean midges?
    Get rid of any sitting water in pots or containers outside.They love the damp so if you're somewhere boggy or by forestry you might have to learn to live with them.
    Lemon balm or lemon grass is maybe worth planting,or citronella candles are supposed to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

Avon Skin So Soft dry Oil spray- I'm not joking, its widely known as being the dogs for midges and mozzies. I'm normally bitten to a pulp by them and don't like using Deet for reasons mentioned above. Avon have stopped selling in Ireland a few years now so I stock up on amazon:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avon-Original-Spray-Jojoba-Citronellol/dp/B01EB6FNCI/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1526927079&sr=8-3&keywords=skin+so+soft+insect+repellent

Its not a girly smell and Mr currants happily uses it too. You really wont look back and its makes your skin soft as well :D

I find cutting back trees and hedges helps too, they seem to swarm around them in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

They seem worse this year so far, I have never seen swarms of them this bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Scotland has a serious problem every Summer with midges. They even sell machines to hoover them up.

Have a look at THIS

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

euser1984 wrote: »
    it's really nice to go outside in the evening if I can. Is there a way to stop all those midgets hanging around me.

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIHLTKGyJ58
    :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 36,055 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Aw you have to hand it to midgets, because sometimes they just can't reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

+1 for Avon Skin So Soft, it really works.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

currants wrote: »
    Avon Skin So Soft dry Oil spray- I'm not joking, its widely known as being the dogs for midges and mozzies. I'm normally bitten to a pulp by them and don't like using Deet for reasons mentioned above. Avon have stopped selling in Ireland a few years now so I stock up on amazon:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avon-Original-Spray-Jojoba-Citronellol/dp/B01EB6FNCI/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1526927079&sr=8-3&keywords=skin+so+soft+insect+repellent

Its not a girly smell and Mr currants happily uses it too. You really wont look back and its makes your skin soft as well :D

I find cutting back trees and hedges helps too, they seem to swarm around them in the evening.
    Yep, we use it all the time with the horses, humans get the Avon, horses get very diluted vinegar with some dettol added. Both work!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

euser1984 wrote: »

Thanks.

they are deadly watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9IJSI2Ebzo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I use a spray out of the chemist, cant think of the name of it but it works fine. Most chemist stock some sort of spray. Ive bought an insect repellent band, that goes on your wrist, not worth a crap. You can get a fine mesh net that goes over your head and neck, but i find it irritating. A lad i know put garlic in a hat going fishing and reckons it does the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They seem worse this year so far, I have never seen swarms of them this bad.

Keep in mind that not all swarms of small flies are biting midges. Most are absolutely harmless.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I tried insect repellents with deet on a few occasions.
    Did not keep one of the little bastards away and afterwards felt dizzy, sick and light headed afterwards.
    Absolute filth and poison that stuff. Do not use ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Mr miagi hasnt been up to a whole lot you could hire him and a pair of chopsticks and let him do his worst

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Keep in mind that not all swarms of small flies are biting midges. Most are absolutely harmless.

Me and the kids have the bites to show, it's mainly the smaller boy that the bites show, gone the next day but its a bit like the unbelievable s in that it's like a curfew on a calm evening and you have to get away from them

Advertisement