Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I buy in Dublin- deposit of 55k and salary of 65-70k?

Options
  • 21-05-2018 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

I'm just looking for some advice and see what those who have bought in Dublin experiences have been. Basically, I am looking to buy my first place in Dublin later this year / early next. I would have a deposit saved of circa EUR 55k, and have a salary of 65/70k gross per annum.

Ideally, I would love a house (even a 2 bed with a back garden would be great), as I like a space for the summer if possible (even a small garden would do), and also might get a dog in the future. I'm just wondering if people have any advice, or if people this this would be possible, or am I better off not to waste my time and make do with an apartment instead.

Just wondering if people had any advice - any and all advice would be most welcome as I'm quite new to all this if I'm honest (and from my online research, the Dublin market seems extremely difficult to get on the ladder).

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

300K would put you in a house on an ex-corporation estate in Dublin 5. The areas are settled, safe and have excellent links (DART and bus) to the city.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Hi Mortgage87,

I've split your question into its own thread and removed the duplicate posts asking the same question.

Welcome to Boards and best of luck with the house hunting

Added: looks like 2 mods moved your post. No extra charge :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Parts of Dublin 15 easily. Some parts not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GoWhest

Im on similar salary and had similar deposit.I got an exemption from the bank and bought a two bedroom ex corpo on Whitehall two months ago. Very happy with it. Really quiet area, plenty close by. Loads of buses. 30 minutes into town during the morning rush. House didn't need any work apart from some minor cosmetic improvements. Decent back garden and shed although the back garden need some love. Best of luck with your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Should be able to get something nice in the nicer parts of Crumlin/D10/D12 too for that money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You should be able to find a decent 3 bed in North County Dublin (Donabate / Rush / Lusk) for around that budget. 20 minutes or so into city centre on the train but much more house / space for your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Sleepy wrote: »
    You should be able to find a decent 3 bed in North County Dublin (Donabate / Rush / Lusk) for around that budget. 20 minutes or so into city centre on the train but much more house / space for your money.

At least 30 minutes on the train, station to station from Donabate to Connelly

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Buy a castle in Spain :D

Mate of mine has recently done this. The commute is getting to him. The trains just aren't frequent enough. Personally I'd suggest going for a secondhand build closer in but to be fair Rush/Lusk you're going to get a more (outer) suburban feel and a private estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Should get something decent in any of the private estates in Tallaght. Loads of transport links(buses, luas, M50 etc..) and lots of local amenities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

You can get a mortgage of 3 times your salary.
    If you apply at the start of the year, you might get an exemption up to 4.

I'd look around the 270k mark, if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

GingerLily wrote: »
    At least 30 minutes on the train, station to station from Donabate to Connelly
    It depends greatly ime. Sometimes it's 25 minutes, other times it can be nearer to 40.
    Mate of mine has recently done this. The commute is getting to him. The trains just aren't frequent enough. Personally I'd suggest going for a secondhand build closer in but to be fair Rush/Lusk you're going to get a more (outer) suburban feel and a private estate.
    Where's your mate working that his commute is that long from NCD? Is he working out in Sandyford or something?

I'm usually based in Blanch which is about a 40 minute drive most mornings during school term (and nearer 30 in summer) and currently working in the city centre and about 40 minutes door to door

It depends greatly ime. Sometimes it's 25 minutes, other times it can be nearer to 40.

Where's your mate working that his commute is that long from NCD? Is he working out in Sandyford or something?

I'm usually based in Blanch which is about a 40 minute drive most mornings during school term (and nearer 30 in summer) and currently working in the city centre and about 40 minutes door to door

He's a twenty minute walk to the station and 15 from Pearse. I don't think the actual train journey is too much of an issue it's the frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mortgage87

Thanks to all for your responses - appreciate it. I personally wouldn't mind train commute of circa 30 mins (at the moment I do an hour commute), so I don't think that would be an issue for me. Thanks again.

Advertisement