Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller: Incident Zero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Nimroth

"Shop was under fire... grenade launcher... attack seemer unprovoked... no sign of local authorities..." he says, broadcastjng to.his crewmates.
    "Any news or plans for regroup? Here with Golpspirot".

"Mr. Hoasoslow, nice to hear you're still with us. Where are you and can the two of you make your way to the lab facilities in H12? Be very careful, we seem to have a kind of infection spreading amongst the miners. I recommend to stay clear of others, especially if they show unusual behaviour and make your way over here asap."
    Evade wrote: »
    Kei pulls out her communicator and takes some video of the miner making sure to catch his plea for death before obliging him. Then she takes some photos of the oddities on his corpse.

Kei then opens a private call to Doctor Cole. "Fair warning, this is pretty graphic but here's the situation where I am" and she forwards him the video and pictures.

"Thank you Miss Nijima, do you think you can safely obtain a sample of the blueish substance? You should avoid direct contact at any cost."

Turning to Mant he says "Looks like we have a strong case for that biopsy now. From what we see here, the advantage of having a sample outweighs the risk to a single patient. Since you're the senior medical, I suggest you give this a look while I try to make sense of this code issue the AI reported."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

"I'll try. Exactly how dangerous is this stuff?" Kei checks around the tram cars for some kind of small sealable container.

"I'll try. Exactly how dangerous is this stuff?" Kei checks around the tram cars for some kind of small sealable container.

"We are not sure yet. This is where your sample might help. Looking at the overall situation however I think it's fair to say that the situation is highly concerning and likely contagious. I'm just checking the status of drones, UAV's or other automated vehicles in the colony to see if I can get a lift for you from your location. For now try your best to stay safe and keep your head down."

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

Nimroth wrote: »
    "Mr. Hoasoslow, nice to hear you're still with us. Where are you and can the two of you make your way to the lab facilities in H12? Be very careful, we seem to have a kind of infection spreading amongst the miners. I recommend to stay clear of others, especially if they show unusual behaviour and make your way over here asap."

"Dr. Cole, hope this is not one of your...Subjects, or experiments... disturbing the peace on this settlement..."

"We will attempt, to make our way... out of the Telleran district"

"No immediate defensive gear available, may struggle... keeping things at range..."

"Anything known... regarding the infection, airborn, viral, pathogen, nerve agent? Anything, deemed useful for those... on the ground?"

He signals at Golpspirot.

Mufasta'r looks around for any useful tech, to either defend themselves or which may prove useful in the future, before departing their current location.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Banjo wrote: »
    If the knocking intensifies or escalates she'll retreat upstairs (if there are stairs, else into a corner behind overturned tables) where she has whatever food and bottled non-alcoholic beverages she could find stashed, along with her bags, and sit with her gun trained on the top of the stairs.
    Lena makes it upstairs as several sources of knocking begin on each of the shop windows. The upstairs seems to be some sort of dance floor. DJ equipment and a powerful sound system line the walls, including a sound bubble generator in the roof.

OOC: Sound bubbles create an intense sound within a bubble which cannot be heard from outside the bubble.

• Advertisement

"Did you get hurt... in the attack?" He asks.
    "Just a knock on the head, probably lost some of my drive physics trivia" she laughs.

Mufasta'r looks around for any useful tech, to either defend themselves or which may prove useful in the future, before departing their current location.
    The is a case lying on the ground, blown out of the wall by the explosion. Writing on the case indicates that it contains a low grade plasma rifle. Unfortunately the case is magnetically locked, with a panel on the front.

He establishes a link to the security camera feeds of the surrounding building and the source of the first outage followed by a report on defensive capabilities of the colony and the lab in particular and the status of drones or unmanned vehicles in the colony, including the train with Ms. Nijima on board and also any craft capable of flight.

"The computer said something about hot-loading code...Let's see what this is about."
    The security cameras don't show anything strange about the medical facility. Just the usual too and fro from the center.

The defensive capabilities of the colony are mostly concentrated on her twin planet Guardian, unfortunately focus seems to have been on preventing excursions from without, rather than problems from within. However three military walker units, currently powered down in the mines, seem to be the most powerful weapon systems available. Several stations with weapons, such as shotguns and pistols, are available with security clearance. Energy weapons are almost entirely confined to the colonial authority hub.

Nathan sees that all drones and unmanned vehicles within the colony are still functioning, save some in the Telleran district.

The code hot-loading is worrying, somebody is submitting a reasonably large program into Roland's simulation systems along with a command to periodically dip the power. Whoever they are, they have clearance higher than Spachens or Fulchz.

An air canister on the back of the miner she shot might work as a container.

Turning to Mant he says "Looks like we have a strong case for that biopsy now. From what we see here, the advantage of having a sample outweighs the risk to a single patient. Since you're the senior medical, I suggest you give this a look while I try to make sense of this code issue the AI reported."
    "Agreed" he types something into the terminal next to Cole:

"Should Fulchz and Spachens not agree, I have the capability to override them, I hacked this facility months ago, I have clearance as high as either of them. We can open the tank without their approval."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Fourier wrote: »
    Lena makes it upstairs as several sources of knocking begin on each of the shop windows. The upstairs seems to be some sort of dance floor. DJ equipment and a powerful sound system line the walls, including a sound bubble generator in the roof.

OOC: Sound bubbles create an intense sound within a bubble which cannot be heard from outside the bubble.

Ooc : would she know what it is? Because that makes no sense to me! Is it a dampening field for letting you play loud music without affecting your greater environment or literally a big bubble / little bubbles filled with noise? What happens if you pop the bubble? If it's the latter, she'll be switching that on if someone comes in downstairs. Otherwise she'll set the speakers up flanking the stairwell, leave a mic right beside one of them, turn all the dials up to 11. DJs have headphones, she'll prepare to put those on at the last second to preserve herself and do a Sonic flash-bang on whoever comes up those stairs if they look threatening.

Kei carefully removes the air canister from the miner and opens up the pressure valve.

OOC: Is it metal and is there anything on fire in the cars?

Ooc : would she know what it is? Because that makes no sense to me! Is it a dampening field for letting you play loud music without affecting your greater environment or literally a big bubble / little bubbles filled with noise?
    OOC: It's a bubble in the sense of a spherical region, not a volume enclosed by a filament, that traps high intensity sound. No sound is heard outside it due to highly controlled destructive interference.

Kei carefully removes the air canister from the miner and opens up the pressure valve.
    Thanks to her Vacc Suit training, she manages to remove the canister and open the pressure valve, letting the compressed oxygen empty out of the inside chamber.
    OOC: Is it metal and is there anything on fire in the cars?
    OOC: It is metal.

Looking around Kei sees nothing aflame within the cars. There are burn marks, but the train AI must have suppressed the flames.

"Dr. Cole, hope this is not one of your...Subjects, or experiments... disturbing the peace on this settlement..."

"We will attempt, to make our way... out of the Telleran district"

"No immediate defensive gear available, may struggle... keeping things at range..."

"Anything known... regarding the infection, airborn, viral, pathogen, nerve agent? Anything, deemed useful for those... on the ground?"

"I assure you that our presence here is purely coincidental. Special kind of luck I guess."
    Nathan checks the passengers security clearance to determine how much information he can share beyond the immediately necessary.
    "Should Fulchz and Spachens not agree, I have the capability to override them, I hacked this facility months ago, I have clearance as high as either of them. We can open the tank without their approval."

Nathan turns towards Fulchz and Spachens and repeats his reasoning for a biopsy.
    "Under the condition that we can ensure a safe OR, Dr. Mant will surely be able to get us the currently much needed information of what we're facing. Wouldn't you agree?"
    Nathan sees that all drones and unmanned vehicles within the colony are still functioning, save some in the Telleran district.

He attempts to identify 3 suitable transports to redirect them to rendezvous coordinates to pick up the other 4 passengers.
    The code hot-loading is worrying, somebody is submitting a reasonably large program into Roland's simulation systems along with a command to periodically dip the power. Whoever they are, they have clearance higher than Spachens or Fulchz.

Nathan checks the system's user directory to find out who would have the necessary clearance. He also gauges the chances of promoting his own access rights by creative application of system "upgrades".

OOC: It's a bubble in the sense of a spherical region, not a volume enclosed by a filament, that traps high intensity sound. No sound is heard outside it due to highly controlled destructive interference.

Ooc : ah, a silencer :) in that case switch it on so no one hears the potential mayhem.

"Train AI disable your fire suppression system"

"Train AI disable your fire suppression system"
    "As the only living sophont within the train I am bound to comply, though I must advise against it"

A nearby terminal indicates the fire suppression systems have been deactivated.

Ooc : ah, a silencer :) in that case switch it on so no one hears the potential mayhem.
    The bubble system powers on, Lena can see the slight wobble in the air in the center of the dance floor.

Right now it is playing white noise, though the DJ system can easily alter that.

"I assure you that our presence here is purely coincidental. Special kind of luck I guess."
    Nathan checks the passengers security clearance to determine how much information he can share beyond the immediately necessary.
    Very little, almost nothing about the main patient in the tank and the details surrounding the plague are cleared for transmission.
    Nathan turns towards Fulchz and Spachens and repeats his reasoning for a biopsy.
    "Under the condition that we can ensure a safe OR, Dr. Mant will surely be able to get us the currently much needed information of what we're facing. Wouldn't you agree?"
    "...he will probably die, but the colony...agreed, let's bring the tank back to normal time flow"

OOC: Just as an example of the rules, the way you handled the situation combined with a high rating for Medical and Advocate convinced them.
    Nathan checks the system's user directory to find out who would have the necessary clearance. He also gauges the chances of promoting his own access rights by creative application of system "upgrades".
    The clearance would require one of the six members of the colonial council. Though the systems are well secured, Nathan has seen better in Imperium space, with time and luck he could promote himself.

• Advertisement

Kei scrounges around the cars and the two dead miners for anything that will burn and checking if either of them have another O2 tank and a lighter or a battery she can short to ignite it.

The clearance would require one of the six members of the colonial council. Though the systems are well secured, Nathan has seen better in Imperium space, with time and luck he could promote himself.

Since Nathan isn't using his own access codes, he decides he can give it a try.

He attempts to identify 3 suitable transports to redirect them to rendezvous coordinates to pick up the other 4 passengers.
    Downstairs, Lena can see a set of headlights appear next to the door. A terminal message upstairs indicates an automated taxi has arrived for transfer to medical.

A bunch of figures are now visible, their shadows appearing next to the door, eight in total. Two begin to pull at the car.

Kei scrounges around the cars and the two dead miners for anything that will burn and checking if either of them have another O2 tank and a lighter or a battery she can short to ignite it.
    The first miner has a second O2 tank. They have nothing that could clearly ignite, though there are exposed wires from the cameras that were shot out earlier.

OOC: Holding my responses there. Map of the facility either tomorrow or Thursday, so that ye can plan more easily.

Downstairs, Lena can see a set of headlights appear next to the door. A terminal message upstairs indicates an automated taxi has arrived for transfer to medical.

A bunch of figures are now visible, their shadows appearing next to the door, eight in total. Two begin to pull at the car.

Ooc : any indication they're armed?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

The is a case lying on the ground, blown out of the wall by the explosion. Writing on the case indicates that it contains a low grade plasma rifle. Unfortunately the case is magnetically locked, with a panel on the front.

Mufasta'r finds a case on the floor, which indicates it may hold a weapon of sorts.

He checks out the panel, to see if there is an easy way to open it up.

He examines the lock and mechanism powering the lock and attempts to disable it, which if fails, would be succeeded by a swipe of the dewpaw blade, killing off the panel on the front.

"No luck. I don't want to risk taking off their vac suits and getting that blue gunk on me so I suppose I have no other choice" Kei thinks. Kei takes off her clothes and piles her t-shirt, socks and underwear on a seat near a shot out camera and puts her trousers, jacket and boots back on. She then unwraps here emergency tampon and tries to short out the camera to light it using a little stream of O2 from the full tank to help.

Lena heads downstairs cautiously and has a look behind the bar for what security measures are available - baseball bat under the counter, window shutters, force fields, automated turret in the roof, drone with boston accent and leg-snapping clamps. It's a dive bar for miners, it'll have something.

She eyes those windows warily. Ordinarily she loves windows - the light, the view, the promise of clean air, a breeze. But windows were like peace. A pretty luxury, but they had a tendency to reveal their fragility when subjected to repeated blows.
    OOC - How big are the windows? café-bar "they are the wall" size or dive bar "they could be arrowslits" size? Can she see outside properly? Can they see in? I'm operating on the principle that they're small windows and they're smoked

She looks for a back door.

If there's a back door, she'll look outside and make sure it's clear, close it, lock it, move her gear to it, partially blockade the internal access to it (leaving additional materials nearby for later), then go upstairs, grab that DJ mic, turn on the music in the bubble because why not, and then make it a little easier for the front door to be bashed in. She'll then retreat to the back door, completing the blockade so the back door is difficult to access from inside. If there are internal doors she can close she will. All the while she's talking / singing / rapping into that mic once the door has been made openable so there's noise from upstairs for the guys outside to follow. Once she hears them come inside she'll make her way through the back door and round to the taxi.
    (This assumes that theres a regular PA and a Mic - it's s DJ station, that should be a safe assumption - and that they can't hear what's in the bubble till they're in the bubble, so they follow the noise from the regular PA upstairs and are then assaulted by an ungodly blast of max volume techno-techno-techno. I doubt there's a weapons-grade eardrum shattering whine or brown noise available on the bubble. But if there is, I'll take that over the 2 Unlimited Greatest Hits I was planning on playing)

If there's no back door, same plan but attempt to use the front door or - if possible - an openable window after using noise inside to distract whatever comes through the front door and entice them away from it. Lethal force is a last resort. At this point, while she's heard reports of some violence, neck swellings and one case of fluid leakage she has no evidence that these 8 are anything more than bar patrons or at worst disgruntled miners rioting/looting in the chaos of poorly managed quarantine.
    Also, since this is a bar and it has no emergency exit, she makes a mental note to report it for its lack of compliance with intergalactic safety standards once all this is sorted out. Disgraceful!

• Advertisement

Since Nathan isn't using his own access codes, he decides he can give it a try.
    OOC: Computers (+3), Hard (-4), Based on Intellect (+2)

Advertisement