Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller: Incident Zero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Mufasta'r finds a case on the floor, which indicates it may hold a weapon of sorts.

He checks out the panel, to see if there is an easy way to open it up.

He examines the lock and mechanism powering the lock and attempts to disable it, which if fails, would be succeeded by a swipe of the dewpaw blade, killing off the panel on the front.
    His dewpaw blade cuts the case open easily enough.

"Nice!" Golpspirot almost shouts "And an even nicer weapon!"

A fully fueled Imperium Plasma Rifle lies in the case, ready for the taking.

Evade wrote: »
    "No luck. I don't want to risk taking off their vac suits and getting that blue gunk on me so I suppose I have no other choice" Kei thinks. Kei takes off her clothes and piles her t-shirt, socks and underwear on a seat near a shot out camera and puts her trousers, jacket and boots back on. She then unwraps here emergency tampon and tries to short out the camera to light it using a little stream of O2 from the full tank to help.
    The tampon catches fire quite easily from the electric fire, it flares up once or twice when the stream oxygen stream flows a bit quicker, but she keeps it under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Nimroth

OOC: rolls 2d6 + 1 = 4

Banjo wrote: »
    Lena heads downstairs cautiously and has a look behind the bar for what security measures are available - baseball bat under the counter, window shutters, force fields, automated turret in the roof, drone with boston accent and leg-snapping clamps. It's a dive bar for miners, it'll have something.

She eyes those windows warily. Ordinarily she loves windows - the light, the view, the promise of clean air, a breeze. But windows were like peace. A pretty luxury, but they had a tendency to reveal their fragility when subjected to repeated blows.
    OOC - How big are the windows? café-bar "they are the wall" size or dive bar "they could be arrowslits" size? Can she see outside properly? Can they see in? I'm operating on the principle that they're small windows and they're smoked

She looks for a back door.

If there's a back door, she'll look outside and make sure it's clear, close it, lock it, move her gear to it, partially blockade the internal access to it (leaving additional materials nearby for later), then go upstairs, grab that DJ mic, turn on the music in the bubble because why not, and then make it a little easier for the front door to be bashed in. She'll then retreat to the back door, completing the blockade so the back door is difficult to access from inside. If there are internal doors she can close she will. All the while she's talking / singing / rapping into that mic once the door has been made openable so there's noise from upstairs for the guys outside to follow. Once she hears them come inside she'll make her way through the back door and round to the taxi.
    (This assumes that theres a regular PA and a Mic - it's s DJ station, that should be a safe assumption - and that they can't hear what's in the bubble till they're in the bubble, so they follow the noise from the regular PA upstairs and are then assaulted by an ungodly blast of max volume techno-techno-techno. I doubt there's a weapons-grade eardrum shattering whine or brown noise available on the bubble. But if there is, I'll take that over the 2 Unlimited Greatest Hits I was planning on playing)

If there's no back door, same plan but attempt to use the front door or - if possible - an openable window after using noise inside to distract whatever comes through the front door and entice them away from it. Lethal force is a last resort. At this point, while she's heard reports of some violence, neck swellings and one case of fluid leakage she has no evidence that these 8 are anything more than bar patrons or at worst disgruntled miners rioting/looting in the chaos of poorly managed quarantine.
    Also, since this is a bar and it has no emergency exit, she makes a mental note to report it for its lack of compliance with intergalactic safety standards once all this is sorted out. Disgraceful!
    OOC: Windows are as you imagine

The music starts pumping loudly within the bubble.

Sitting by the backdoor, which is down a short corridor behind the bar itself, Lena hears the front window being smashed in. She sees two of them go upstairs and then suddenly keel over, ears dripping white fluid.

As she exits the building and heads round to the front, she sees that one has been left near the taxi with a stun pistol. For now she is unseen.

Nimroth wrote: »
    OOC: rolls 2d6 + 1 = 4
    He doesn't find a clear way around the system's safeguards and his attempts would be discoverable from the systems logs, well Mant's attempts as far as the logs think.

• Advertisement

OOC: Halting my responses early to prepare the map

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Fourier wrote: »
    OOC: Windows are as you imagine

The music starts pumping loudly within the bubble.

Sitting by the backdoor, which is down a short corridor behind the bar itself, Lena hears the front window being smashed in. She sees two of them go upstairs and then suddenly keel over, ears dripping white fluid.

As she exits the building and heads round to the front, she sees that one has been left near the taxi with a stun pistol. For now she is unseen.

Having no non-lethal option, Lena looks around for an empty bottle - it's an alley beside a bar. Don't make her throw away this Solani single malt! - to throw past the guy with the stun gun, and use the distraction to run up behind him, club him with her rifle butt and divest him of his weapon before hopping in the taxi and doing a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

His dewpaw blade cuts the case open easily enough.

"Nice!" Golpspirot almost shouts "And an even nicer weapon!"

A fully fueled Imperium Plasma Rifle lies in the case, ready for the taking.

Mufasta'r picks up the weapon and slides up and down, with his hand, on the barrel of the rifle.

He winks at Golpspirot.

"I do like my toys...".

"Lets hope we wont need to shoot the load... prematurely...".

He looks onto the street, scanning for immediate dangers, before considering the best way towards the location of Dr. Cole.

"Some transport, would be nice...". He mumbles to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

The tampon catches fire quite easily from the electric fire, it flares up once or twice when the stream oxygen stream flows a bit quicker, but she keeps it under control.
    Kei puts the lit tampon on the pile of clothes while keeping the stream of oxygen on the flame and then she places the empty oxygen bottle, making sure the valve is still open, in the pile of flaming clothes. Once the flames die down Kei will try to close the valve on the hot empty gas bottle and wait for it to cool.

OOC: I never thought to check if there was an emergency medkit anywhere that might have a syringe in it. I went straight to fire and gas bottles.

He doesn't find a clear way around the system's safeguards and his attempts would be discoverable from the systems logs, well Mant's attempts as far as the logs think.

Nathan raises his left eyebrow slightly irritated. He hadn't expected that level of security on a remote outpost like this....
    Ok, moving on for now. He tries to get an understanding of the code being injected. As it is causing interference with normal operations of the station, he attempts to block the transfer and restore Roland from last backup. He also tries to trace the source of the update.

"Dr. Mant, how long do you think you'll need to get a small sample from our patient?"

• Advertisement

OOC: Map of area of medical hub near the tank
    Ht44BB.jpg

Nathan raises his left eyebrow slightly irritated. He hadn't expected that level of security on a remote outpost like this....
    Ok, moving on for now. He tries to get an understanding of the code being injected. As it is causing interference with normal operations of the station, he attempts to block the transfer and restore Roland from last backup. He also tries to trace the source of the update.

"Dr. Mant, how long do you think you'll need to get a small sample from our patient?"
    "But a few moments...if timed correctly, less than twenty seconds" Mant says as he raises four seperate implements, one per hand.

The code appears to be aimed at disrupting the tank in a strange pattern, advancing and slowing time within it based on some bizarre pattern. The code is being transmitted from somewhere in Telaran district.

A backup of Roland from two days ago is stored on disk.

Kei puts the lit tampon on the pile of clothes while keeping the stream of oxygen on the flame and then she places the empty oxygen bottle, making sure the valve is still open, in the pile of flaming clothes. Once the flames die down Kei will try to close the valve on the hot empty gas bottle and wait for it to cool.
    The flames die down after a while, the seats seem quite resistant to fire at first, but then begin to burn brightly.

The bottle cools a few minutes later.

Kei touches the bottle to see if it's cool "That should be cold enough. It wasn't much of a fire but it should be enough... maybe."

Kei moves to the biggest pool of blue gunk and puts the nozzle of the bottle into it and then opens the valve.

"But a few moments...if timed correctly, less than twenty seconds" Mant says as he raises four seperate implements, one per hand.

The code appears to be aimed at disrupting the tank in a strange pattern, advancing and slowing time within it based on some bizarre pattern. The code is being transmitted from somewhere in Telaran district.

A backup of Roland from two days ago is stored on disk.

Nathan shares his findings about the code's influence with the other scientists and says:
    "Doctors, let me summarize."
    "One. From the reports we know that fully infected hosts show violent behavior and seem to be difficult to control"
    "Two. The code that originates in the Teleran district manipulates the flow of time in the stasis field and I think we can agree that any speed than really slow is not in our interest."
    "Three. Dr. Mant's procedure will, for a brief time, restore normal time to the patient but afterwards the speed of time will be not in our control. Should the patient's infection continue to grow, we might have another situation on our hands."
    "We have no data if an infected subject will react to sedatives, so I'd like your opinion on this proposal: I think our best chance to gather data and make sure that we will stay in a condition that enables us to do so, we should not perform a biopsy to take a sample. I've come to the opinion that going for a full extraction of the organ is our best chance. While posing a higher risk to the patient it's the only way we can make sure the infection doesn't take over right here in the lab and endanger everyone."

Kei touches the bottle to see if it's cool "That should be cold enough. It wasn't much of a fire but it should be enough... maybe."

Kei moves to the biggest pool of blue gunk and puts the nozzle of the bottle into it and then opens the valve.
    The vacuum within siphons the fluid into the flask quite rapidly, it's almost oil like in how rapidly it rushes into the bottle.

Mufasta'r picks up the weapon and slides up and down, with his hand, on the barrel of the rifle.

He winks at Golpspirot.

"I do like my toys...".

"Lets hope we wont need to shoot the load... prematurely...".

He looks onto the street, scanning for immediate dangers, before considering the best way towards the location of Dr. Cole.

"Some transport, would be nice...". He mumbles to himself.
    Golpspirot looks at the gun.

"I wouldn't worry, if you need to shoot, shoot. We can't take precautions, if things get dirty fire a hot load straight into their face."

A nearby hub map indicates that a tram has arrived at a station nearby, sent from Medical.

Golpspirot looks at the gun.

"I wouldn't worry, if you need to shoot, shoot. We can't take precautions, if things get dirty fire a hot load straight into their face."

A nearby hub map indicates that a tram has arrived at a station nearby, sent from Medical.

"I like your thinking" Mufasta'r says as he nudges Golpspirot playfully.

He points towards the hub map, which is indicating the arrival of of a tram, with what seems to be the end destination of the Medical hub.

"How convenient..." Mufasta' mumbles as he is pointing towards the map.

"We should make our way here, eyes open..." he says to Golpspirot.

"Any combat experience?" He asks as he starts trudding into the direction of the station.

The vacuum within siphons the fluid into the flask quite rapidly, it's almost oil like in how rapidly it rushes into the bottle.
    Kei seals the valve "That worked better than expected considering the thin atmosphere and sub par heat." She wipes off any remaining blue gunk off on the seats.

She opens a comdot channel to Doctor Cole "Sample secured Doc. It's in a vac suit oxygen bottle so it should be preserved well enough until I get to you."

Turning away from the comdot "AI reactivate the fire suppression system and do you have any further information on why the train is stopped?"

Kei tries the door to the next car and if it's locked will climb out on the roof and head for the front of the train.

"Any combat experience?" He asks as he starts trudding into the direction of the station.
    "Some, Energy Pistols...in case the ship was ever boarded. Hasn't happened yet though, so little practice in the field"

They arrive at the train station, the tram seems to have stopped a bit away from the platform. More shockingly, there is a dead body on the platform and a skeleton on the track.

ExsSb8.jpg

• Advertisement

Turning away from the comdot "AI reactivate the fire suppression system and do you have any further information on why the train is stopped?"

Kei tries the door to the next car and if it's locked will climb out on the roof and head for the front of the train.
    "It seems I stopped the train..." the AIs voice modulators make sure to indicate it is confused by its tone.

"Though I have no memory of why"

Kei climbs out onto the roof, virtually no wind blows on Sargon and the thin air makes the climb feel like one four times the length.

"Some, Energy Pistols...in case the ship was ever boarded. Hasn't happened yet though, so little practice in the field"

They arrive at the train station, the tram seems to have stopped a bit away from the platform. More shockingly, there is a dead body on the platform and a skeleton on the track.

ExsSb8.jpg

"Best you stay behind me as much as you can..."

He points towards the tracks and then the body.

"Trouble up ahead..."

OOC: assuming the rifle has a scope of sorts.

Mufasta'r uses his rifle to inspect the area more closely, paying particular attention to the skeleton, body and tram to see what may have caused the carnage.

He checks to see the access to the tram and operability.

"We have no data if an infected subject will react to sedatives, so I'd like your opinion on this proposal: I think our best chance to gather data and make sure that we will stay in a condition that enables us to do so, we should not perform a biopsy to take a sample. I've come to the opinion that going for a full extraction of the organ is our best chance. While posing a higher risk to the patient it's the only way we can make sure the infection doesn't take over right here in the lab and endanger everyone."
    The group confer, even asking Roland for a ethical simulation as support for their decision.

They reach a conclusion after discussing among themselves for five minutes.

Spachens speaks first.

"We begin extraction immediately"

"It seems I stopped the train..." the AIs voice modulators make sure to indicate it is confused by its tone.

"Though I have no memory of why"

Kei climbs out onto the roof, virtually no wind blows on Sargon and the thin air makes the climb feel like one four times the length.
    "Just like vac crack training in basic flight" she thinks as she makes her way forward keeping an eye out for the shotgun wielding vacsuit from earlier.

OOC: How big is the oxygen container I have?

"Just like vac crack training in basic flight" she thinks as she makes her way forward keeping an eye out for the shotgun wielding vacsuit from earlier.

OOC: Enough to hold three days of oxygen. In size, about the length of your forearm.

Holding responses there

The group confer, even asking Roland for a ethical simulation as support for their decision.

They reach a conclusion after discussing among themselves for five minutes.

Spachens speaks first.

"We begin extraction immediately"
    Mant begins the temporal realignment sequence.
    Spachens directs his attention to Nathan as he puts on his surgical gear.

The minute the tank lights up, we begin extraction, we could really use your help, though of course we recognise the risk to your person. Would you be willing?

Fulchz seems to be sweating.

Mufasta'r uses his rifle to inspect the area more closely, paying particular attention to the skeleton, body and tram to see what may have caused the carnage.

He checks to see the access to the tram and operability.
    With the scope he can see that the tracks emerge from a green mark, some sort of strange burn, set heavily into the ground.

The scope allows him to see down the track, the tram seems to still be operational and there is no blockage on the line, so no clear reason why it has come to a halt there.

She reaches the door to the trains forward cabin. Through the plexiglass she can clearly make out the vacc suit with a shotgun. He seems to be building something and odd blue/white device with fiber optic cables connected to it.

Banjo wrote: »
    Having no non-lethal option, Lena looks around for an empty bottle - it's an alley beside a bar. Don't make her throw away this Solani single malt! - to throw past the guy with the stun gun, and use the distraction to run up behind him, club him with her rifle butt and divest him of his weapon before hopping in the taxi and doing a runner.
    The rifle butt connects with a hard thump. The man hits the pavement hard, bleeding profusely from the scalp.

Upon jumping into the taxi it asks for confirmation.

"Ready to head to medical Lena?"

• Advertisement

She reaches the door to the trains forward cabin. Through the plexiglass she can clearly make out the vacc suit with a shotgun. He seems to be building something and odd blue/white device with fiber optic cables connected to it.
    Kei tucks the oxygen bottle under her arm and tries to quietly open the door while keeping her weapon trained on the vac suited person.

Advertisement