Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller: Incident Zero

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Kei notices something familiar about the creatures physiology, but can't quite place it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

Kei thinks "two missed shots, must be a cheap Albean knock off."

OOC: Check was 6

OOC: Off for the night

Fourier wrote: »
    Kei notices something familiar about the creatures physiology, but can't quite place it.
    OOC: It sounds like the unholy union of a Golisopod and a Scyther

768Golisopod.png
    123Scyther.png

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

Mufasta'r looks around the lab, which is now in ruins after the most recent onslaught, for mechanical and computer components to put a device together.

He remembers earlier mentions being made regarding soundwaves and though he noticed Dr. Cole take a final shot at the creature, he is also aware of the sonic blast that hit everyone within the room when presumably Dr. Cole hit the pressurized tank in the room, so unsure whether the blast had contributed to the downing of the creature.

Mufasta'r had previoulsy, when in active duty, fashioned a device to wear out opposing troops, through sonic blasts, at a settlement close to his location. Using nothing more than some Piezoelectrict transducers, old discarded fusion cores, an old rifle and some scrap materials he had gathered from a village nearby.

He looks around and notices the prime tech at his location, he is certain that he should be able to find the transducers necessary, combined with the firing mechanism of his revolver, a portable power source and something to house the equipment in, surely he should be able to to replicate if not improve on his previous success.

He checks sensor units, lab equipment, sterilization droids and the chem lab for the specific parts he needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

"...so as I was saying before all the god damned mutants showed up, ****ty electropop music makes their brains explode. Or maybe it's just a response to volume and frequency, but either way, does anyone with questionable music taste - I'm looking at you here Doctors! - have a personal media device of any kind we can plug into the public address and route to the gardens as a first line of defence?

Might also be an idea to test some of your samples for a resonant frequency, we might be able to turn that into a weapon; though I'd guess if these things can adapt their physical form at will, any kind of portable sonic solution to this crystomorphic pickle we're in is going to require the ability to sense and dial in new frequencies as they adapt to our approach. We hit them with dum-dumed slugs to act as strikers, if they survive we read their rez-freq and pump them full of so much energy they shatter themselves.

That said, shooting them seems to work just fine, and I'm cool with that."

OOC : Look, Lena knows Military tactics. I don't. So can I just assume she comes up with a kick-ass plan? Also, I have a google-drive date-verifiable doc that predates all the crystalline stuff that shows her backstory - which ironically did not include this detail until I received her character sheet - includes being raised in an epsilon-axis Moisonite mine, child to a guy from the automaton maintenance crew and the local law-(wo)man. So she'd know a little about crystalline mechanics. But I don't....

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

Banjo wrote: »
    "...so as I was saying before all the god damned mutants showed up, ****ty electropop music makes their brains explode. Or maybe it's just a response to volume and frequency, but either way, does anyone with questionable music taste - I'm looking at you here Doctors! - have a personal media device of any kind we can plug into the public address and route to the gardens as a first line of defence?

Might also be an idea to test some of your samples for a resonant frequency, we might be able to turn that into a weapon; though I'd guess if these things can adapt their physical form at will, any kind of portable sonic solution to this crystomorphic pickle we're in is going to require the ability to sense and dial in new frequencies as they adapt to our approach. We hit them with dum-dumed slugs to act as strikers, if they survive we read their rez-freq and pump them full of so much energy they shatter themselves.

That said, shooting them seems to work just fine, and I'm cool with that." [/I]

Mufasta'r turns to Lena, glad to hear someone is thinking among the same lines as him. Though he must profess, this information had come from her to begin with.

"We have previously been analyzing some samples of these creatures already, resonant frequency and state we should be able to gather from that data set easily enough, not to mention the pop music you referenced earlier."

Mufasta'r shrugs.

"I think more importantly, it will be decibel output and nearfield effectiveness that will be the deciding factor here... as so far, we have seen heads pop at a multitude of frequencies...".

He rubs his hands together, eager to get this show on the road.

"While I am certain the resonant frequency might be of importance, I cannot help but feel the decibel output and effectiveness in nearfield should be the primary concern."

"Decibels, frequencies, who gives a crap - just make it work. In the bar they had a sound bubble generator - something like that but portable, either as a directed field we can clear a path with, or a ghetto version using broadcasts to portable receivers we can throw like grenades.

Meanwhile, we need to get out of here and book to the space-port. Probably too late to get the walkers up from the mine, more's the pity - a couple of those chunkers in Follow and we could stroll out of here at our leisure.

With the size of this here bastard, I'm thinking it could do more damage to us in a Tram than if we're on the road. If we get derailed we're dead. If we're driving, we can always tuck n roll. We need something big and heavy that can push through blockages. A Tank would be nice but a big supply truck would work, or a tanker of some kind. Just like in that old tri-vid, Mentally Unsound Ultan 2. A flatbed if the sound generator is too big to carry manually. We punch through traffic, run over anything that gets in our way and try to keep any of the bigger critters off our backs.

The bigger question though - are they attacking this place because of us, or because there's something in here they want? I can't see why a few more warm bodies to pull the brains out of would be worth that kind of giant blade-handed fuss they're making. We should try to figure out what that is, and whether we want ot give it to 'em, deny them or use it as a distraction so we can get off this ****hole and nuke it from orbit."

She starts looking for keys, manifests, furry dice, anything to indicate the existence of a useful vehicle. She notices the inert form of Roland, sighing
    "well, there goes my pet theory that this was all an elaborate ruse to get us to disable his ethical protocols. Hey, where's the Hiver?"

Kei accesses a fee terminal to see if there's an indoor route to the spaceport with halon fire suppression the whole way.

He checks sensor units, lab equipment, sterilization droids and the chem lab for the specific parts he needs.
    OOC: You'll need help from Lena and Kei to do this, with you directing them. It will take 1d6 hours to accomplish. If you want to rush it to 1d6 x 10 minutes there'll be a -2 to each roll. Slowing it to 1d6 x 4 hours will give a +2 to each roll.

Go to rolz and decide the speed, then you roll first:
    Physics(+1), Education (+0)

Based on what you get, I'll tell the others their rolls

• Advertisement

OOC : Look, Lena knows Military tactics. I don't. So can I just assume she comes up with a kick-ass plan? Also, I have a google-drive date-verifiable doc that predates all the crystalline stuff that shows her backstory - which ironically did not include this detail until I received her character sheet - includes being raised in an epsilon-axis Moisonite mine, child to a guy from the automaton maintenance crew and the local law-(wo)man. So she'd know a little about crystalline mechanics. But I don't....
    OOC: Tactics(+2), Education(+1), Difficult (-2) to come up with some possible tactics

Evade wrote: »
    Kei accesses a fee terminal to see if there's an indoor route to the spaceport with halon fire suppression the whole way.
    There is a path out of the Science Hub with fire suppression the whole way, but not the whole way to the spaceport. The terminal displays the path to the spaceport:

Primary Medical Lab -> Science Hub Train Terminal (fire suppression available)
    Science Hub Train terminal -> Main Complex terminal (20.6km)
    Main Complex terminal -> Spaceport entry (ascend fifteen floors)

Kei looks at the information and thinks to herself
    Primary Medical Lab -> Science Hub Train Terminal (fire suppression available)
    "Hmm. If there's four patient oxygen cylinders and mask in here we could jam on the halon and get to the train easily enough."

Science Hub Train terminal -> Main Complex terminal (20.6km)
    "If I configure the train the same way as last time that shouldn't take too long"

Main Complex terminal -> Spaceport entry (ascend fifteen floors)
    "Fifteen floors up... I'd prefer not to be trapped in a lift. Stairs?"

OOC: What's the gravity like? Higher or lower than most of the player characters are used to?

OOC: What's the gravity like? Higher or lower than most of the player characters are used to?
    OOC: Naturally it's 12.4 times Earth's gravity on Sargon, but a gravitational generator keeps gravity at Earth standards within the complex and the trains

"Fifteen floors up... I'd prefer not to be trapped in a lift. Stairs?"
    The terminal confirms there are stairs.

OOC: Kei to help build Mufasta'r's device it's
    Comms(+1), Education(+2), Difficulty brought on by Mufasta'r's directions (-2)

OOC: Kei to help build Mufasta'r's device it's
    Comms(+1), Education(+2), Difficulty brought on by Mufasta'r's directions (-2)
    OOC: 7

OOC: Naturally it's 12.4 times Earth's gravity on Sargon, but a gravitational generator keeps gravity at Earth standards within the complex and the trains
    Kei checks the terminal to see if there's any way of manipulating the gravity in small isolated sections.

OOC: Tactics(+2), Education(+1), Difficult (-2) to come up with some possible tactics

Ooc :12

Mufasta'r recalls his physics classes and device construction in the field they taught him in the Aslan Hierate. However his recall isn't perfect, thoroughly confusing Lena whose attempts to follow cause the device to shake uncontrollably. Luckily Kei figures out the the missing component and construction of the device begins at a quick pace.

• Advertisement

Kei checks the terminal to see if there's any way of manipulating the gravity in small isolated sections.
    Before she starts work on the device, the terminal informs her that the gravity generator, here in the Science Hub, is capable of such local control.

OOC: It's the purple machine on the middle left of the map

Ooc :12
    Lena recalls that colonial transport trains on high gravity planets such as Sargon have enough stress tolerance to handle mounting an anti-air turret to their carriages.

She also studies the corridors and doors of the science hub, how they open, timings, turn angles and room layouts.

OOC: Group has +4 to initiative in Science Hub

Before she starts work on the device, the terminal informs here that the gravity generator, here in the Science Hub, is capable of such local control.

OOC: It's the purple machine on the middle left of the map
    "Too big to bring with us"

Kei glances back at this piece of information "What is this planet made of?"

Kei glances back at this piece of information "What is this planet made of?"
    The terminal spews a stream of elements and materials, but top of the list in contributions to the gravitational force is the neutronium core.

The terminal spews a stream of elements and materials, but top of the list in contributions to the gravitational force is the neutronium core.
    "Don't see that every day*" When Kei is finished Mufasta'r's device she looks around the lab for oxygen bottles and masks.

OOC:*Unless you do in traveller

Lena looks for a vac suit to go with her vac helmet.

Lena looks for a vac suit to go with her vac helmet.
    The terminal informs her that the nearest complete vacc suit is in Neutronium research.

OOC: Middle of the map, large room with brown floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Nimroth

Nathan looks around the room and watches the ongoing preparations for a moment.
    "Has anyone seen Dr. Mant?"

He raises his index finger to his comdot:
    "Dr. Spachens, are you ok?"

Nimroth wrote: »
    Nathan looks around the room and watches the ongoing preparations for a moment.
    "Has anyone seen Dr. Mant?"

He raises his index finger to his comdot:
    "Dr. Spachens, are you ok?"
    Spachens does not respond.

• Advertisement

Mant leaps back down from the roof and grabs Nathan by the shoulder.

"Cole, there are more of those flying specimens coming this way"

The device still has thirty minutes until completion.

Advertisement