Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller: Incident Zero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Banjo wrote: »
    "You sir are a gentleman."
    She toasts
    "May you be happy evermore, and may your johnson touch the floor, may freedoms spring forever pour, and God bless the ****ing Corp!"
    She knocks it back, tapping the glass on the bartop a few times, grinning.
    "Now *that* is a shot. Thank you kindly. So, I have 13 hrs and change to kill. What is there to do round here?"
    "The races, Zero-G action center, tours of the mines, the last one is a bit boring at first, but some of the sights are pretty..." he stops holding his hand to his temple "...sorry, this headache is killing me."

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Nimroth

Fourier wrote: »
    "The flouride reactions aren't inhibited by cold temperatures, that's how it continues to grow, though even then the speed is worrying.

As for the purpose, I don't know. Initially we suspected psionic capability, but scans with equipment imported from Zhodani space reveal no heightened ability. In fact in one patient, the new organ has affected psychic functioning.

I think there is a definite connection to the flouride tunnels..."

He swipes the screen bringing up a flouride polymer molecule on screen.

"...92% of the flouride compounds found in the tunnels have also been found in the subject's neural tissue."

"The patients presented with headaches from exposure. Have they been assigned to tasks in these rock formations? Did they report anything unusual?"

Nathan scans the tank's real time data feed and compares it to previous readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

He arrives out in the valleys far to the south. A smallish crowd of a hundred or so is busy waiting for the next race. A bit of a delay as one of the drivers was taken in with a severe migraine.
    Kei momentarily thinks "I could race..." then quickly follows up with "No. Not today"

Kei heads for the bar and looks for a quiet, by racetrack standards anyway, booth.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

"I'm from a rare subbranch of humanity, we developed on a very toxic jungle world. Not many of us purebloods left, ever since contact with the rest of the human race...

Say there's a bar, 'Down and Out'...charming" she says with a smirk on her face.

"I am sorry, to hear that... Terrans fear, what they do not know... Especially, when it otherwise seems familiar..."

"Is there, something peculiar... about your biology, versus that of the normal meatsticks?"

Mufasta'r laughs at the sight of the dwelling, called 'Down & Out'.

"Down and Out seems as charming as it will get..."

"Let us go there"

Mufasta'r heads to the bar with his companion.

Nimroth wrote: »
    "The patients presented with headaches from exposure. Have they been assigned to tasks in these rock formations? Did they report anything unusual?"

Nathan scans the tank's real time data feed and compares it to previous readings.
    "They had been, at least the first few cases. There have been isolated cases since then, appearing only in the last two day, either they have traveled out to the rock formations outside of company business or the condition is infectious, though I doubt the later."

The tank's data confirms the subject is in a near frozen state, corresponding with the previous data, his body has only advanced a few seconds since he was placed in here two weeks ago.

• Advertisement

"I am sorry, to hear that... Terrans fear, what they do not know... Especially, when it otherwise seems familiar..."

"Is there, something peculiar... about your biology, versus that of the normal meatsticks?"
    "Toxins have little effect on us, most of them anyway. I can down a bottle of strychnine with no effects. Also means I can't get drunk though. Bit weaker physically though."
    Mufasta'r laughs at the sight of the dwelling, called 'Down & Out'.

"Down and Out seems as charming as it will get..."

"Let us go there"

Mufasta'r heads to the bar with his companion.
    The bar, such as it is, has a collection of cybers plugged in while having a loud philosophical discussion. The non-augmented patrons seem to be drinking some kind of brown fluid, most likely meatstick ale. The decor is bare walls and neon signs. One holographic image of band playing some grating human song.

The bartender is an automated console.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

"The races, Zero-G action center, tours of the mines, the last one is a bit boring at first, but some of the sights are pretty..." he stops holding his hand to his temple "...sorry, this headache is killing me."

"Ha! Man, you look like I want to feel. You should look after that though, headaches in a 'forma colony usually end up being leaks or bad filters - some kind of bug in the system. No one likes a bug-hunt, but you ignore **** like that for long enough, they end up calling in people like me 'cause there's no one left alive to radio out for help and everyone thinks you've been butchered by the boogieman. Ever tried shooting Carbon Monoxide? It's a pointless waste of government resources - check your seals, man, look after yourself.

So if I were to go on a tour of these mines, where do they leave from?"

Mufasta'r belts out laughing.

"Strychnine huh? Neurotoxins... is not something I would down, for a fun time... though If I did, I'd hope to at least convulse into a more elated spirit".

"Lets see if we can get something to hydrate... even if it does not have the desired effect for either of us..."

Mufasta'r orders some meatstick ale for engineer and himself.

"Here is to good health... and good fortune".

Mufasta'r looks out for any patrons to strike a conversation with.

"They had been, at least the first few cases. There have been isolated cases since then, appearing only in the last two day, either they have traveled out to the rock formations outside of company business or the condition is infectious, though I doubt the later."

The tank's data confirms the subject is in a near frozen state, corresponding with the previous data, his body has only advanced a few seconds since he was placed in here two weeks ago.

Nathan summarizes his medical opinion calmly although he's feeling extremely anxious. He's never seen anything like this before and the fact that even scientists of this caliber can't contain it completely makes him very uneasy.
    For the uninitiated bystander his diagnosis (or at least his best stab at it) would sound like a cascade of big medical words, but he knows his conversation partner follows with ease.
    "For all these reasons one might assume that this is not a bacterial or viral infection, but rather a parasitic one. Would you concur?"
    "How far along are you to develop a test for this condition? I think it would be diligent to make sure this is as contained as we all hope."

Evade wrote: »
    Kei momentarily thinks "I could race..." then quickly follows up with "No. Not today"

Kei heads for the bar and looks for a quiet, by racetrack standards anyway, booth.
    From her booth, Kei can see the speedsters being lowered onto the track. Antigrav vehicles, slow compared to the ones the military has, but fast for the technology typical out here in the old colonies.

She can see the team missing their driver arguing.

• Advertisement

So if I were to go on a tour of these mines, where do they leave from?"
    "Two floors down in this complex. One leaves every half hour."

"For all these reasons one might assume that this is not a bacterial or viral infection, but rather a parasitic one. Would you concur?"
    "How far along are you to develop a test for this condition? I think it would be diligent to make sure this is as contained as we all hope."
    "Parasitic would be my guess, a parasite at the genetic level, to modify the subject's genetic code though, without knowing the human genome in advance...unless of course it does. We did a sweep of the tunnels, but found nothing.

The only test as of now is a proper genetic sampling of the neural tissue. Difficult to apply colony wide. Though we might reach that point..."

Mufasta'r looks out for any patrons to strike a conversation with.
    An old cyborg with some kind of retinal implant over his left eye sits on his own, glancing around the bar.

The ale is powerful stuff, Mufasta'r feels the room grow a bit brighter.

"Parasitic would be my guess, a parasite at the genetic level, to modify the subject's genetic code though, without knowing the human genome in advance...unless of course it does. We did a sweep of the tunnels, but found nothing.

The only test as of now is a proper genetic sampling of the neural tissue. Difficult to apply colony wide. Though we might reach that point..."

"How long would a full genetic scan take per patient with the equipment you have on site? With a colony this size this could take a while? Maybe it would be easier to search for raised fluoride levels? Restricting the search pattern to the specific markers relevant to identify the local source could at least give an insight?"

Nathan looks around for a medical scanner.

Lena thanks the barkeep for the shot, wishes him well and heads downstairs. Heirarchy of needs. If you can't get drunk, go to church, if you can't go to church go to school.

"How long would a full genetic scan take per patient with the equipment you have on site? With a colony this size this could take a while? Maybe it would be easier to search for raised fluoride levels? Restricting the search pattern to the specific markers relevant to identify the local source could at least give an insight?"

Nathan looks around for a medical scanner.
    Spachens opens a comm call.

"Fulchz, Mant come to the stasis tank, I want to discuss something with you."

Fulchz comes on screen, an off baseline human with frills along his neck.
    "No problem"

Mant follows, a hiver:
    i5PGrt.jpg

It does the typical arm waves and dancing that the unit on its back converts to human speech.

"Coming Spachens"

Spachens turns back to Nathan.

"We have tried to isolate the flouride concentration in the blood, but it is surprisingly low outside the cranium, almost at normal levels..." he laughs a little "...almost to avoid detection, although I hope that isn't true."

The other two arrive.

"Dr. Cole here has reached the same conclusions as ourselves, right down to a flouride based test. Perhaps we can figure out a quicker test, or a way of mass testing?"

Lena thanks the barkeep for the shot, wishes him well and heads downstairs. Heirarchy of needs. If you can't get drunk, go to church, if you can't go to church go to school.
    When Lena reaches the tram station, it seems the trip is being held up by a man who has collapsed. The tour operator informs everyone that colony medical is on its way.

Kei grabs the attention of a passing waiter "A bottle of whiskey and two glasses please"

Once the waiter leaves Kei pulls a photograph out of her wallet

250?cb=20120806162146

the back reads LR Lowgrav, Cobbler, Hotdog, Slamdunk and is dated about 5 years ago.

"Well Slamdunk, I said we go to a place like this again"

Having no medical training of her own, Lena looks to see who's trying not to meet anyone's gaze. There's always someone in a civilian crowd who'd rather let a man die than grow a clit and take responsibility.

Spachens opens a comm call.

"Fulchz, Mant come to the stasis tank, I want to discuss something with you."

Fulchz comes on screen, an off baseline human with frills along his neck.
    "No problem"

Mant follows, a hiver:
    i5PGrt.jpg

It does the typical arm waves and dancing that the unit on its back converts to human speech.

"Coming Spachens"

Spachens turns back to Nathan.

"We have tried to isolate the flouride concentration in the blood, but it is surprisingly low outside the cranium, almost at normal levels..." he laughs a little "...almost to avoid detection, although I hope that isn't true."

The other two arrive.

"Dr. Cole here has reached the same conclusions as ourselves, right down to a flouride based test. Perhaps we can figure out a quicker test, or a way of mass testing?"

He turns towards the two new arrivals and smiles.
    "It is my pleasure to make your acquaintance."
    He steps forward to shake Dr. Fulchz hand then turns to Mant.
    Offering his hand to shake would probably send the wrong signal to the hiver, so he takes a slight bow instead.

"Maybe instead of looking for it, you can make the patients come to you. The first symptoms were headaches. So what if a public health bulletin would be advising all citizens that experience them to stop by the next mobile med unit for a quick scan. With a bit creativity around the reasons and a bit of fear of worse symptoms to come, not the truth obviously, I'm sure one would get a better picture. "

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »
    Kei grabs the attention of a passing waiter "A bottle of whiskey and two glasses please"

Once the waiter leaves Kei pulls a photograph out of her wallet

250?cb=20120806162146

the back reads LR Lowgrav, Cobbler, Hotdog, Slamdunk and is dated about 5 years ago.

"Well Slamdunk, I said we go to a place like this again"
    The waiter returns with the whiskey.

"Two glasses miss?" he says holding them out "Should I reserve the booth, a romantic occasion?"

Outside the speedsters start their antigrav engines and fire through the canyon. A leisurely Mach 7.

Having no medical training of her own, Lena looks to see who's trying not to meet anyone's gaze. There's always someone in a civilian crowd who'd rather let a man die than grow a clit and take responsibility.
    And she's right, two young women stare at each other and then awkwardly at the ground.

The man's hand begins to show a slight twitch.

Nathan continues to look for the scanner. He also tries to remember who the senior medical officer of this facility is.

Nathan continues to look for the scanner. He also tries to remember who the senior medical officer of this facility is.
    The senior medical officer is a Carlos Smith, though colonial authority treats him as outranked in this matter by Spachens and Fulchz, who have dealt with colonial infections before. Though Mant has the greatest medical knowledge according to his datapad file.

The scanner lies on a desk on the other side of the room.
    "Maybe instead of looking for it, you can make the patients come to you. The first symptoms were headaches. So what if a public health bulletin would be advising all citizens that experience them to stop by the next mobile med unit for a quick scan. With a bit creativity around the reasons and a bit of fear of worse symptoms to come, not the truth obviously, I'm sure one would get a better picture. "
    Mant's unit responds.

"Agreed, I will speak to colonial authority, convince them to do this, unless you two have strong reasons negating?"

Both shake their heads and Mant walks out of the room.

OOC: In-game your characters would know that Hivers are renowned for their expertise in manipulating others.

OOC: Holding my responses there

"No, I'm fine like this. Thank you"

Once she's alone again she pours whisky into both glasses leaving one as if there was someone opposite her and gulps down the other and quickly refills it.

Looking at the photo "I still don't know how you convinced the entire squadron to go to a dingy racetrack for our only leave of the cruise, but damn did we have a good night"

She drinks and refills.

"The war always got in the way of our plans to do it again"

She drinks and refills.

"And then I killed you"

Drinks and refills.

Drinks.

And she's right, two young women stare at each other and then awkwardly at the ground.

The man's hand begins to show a slight twitch.

Approaching them, Lena salutes.
    "Ma'ams, this man needs your help. You tell me what you need and we'll find you someone can get you it. You try n help, sure, he may not make it but you could be the difference. Sit here awkwardly pretending you're normal like the rest of these drones, damnitt he's gonna die. Cmon.
    Let's go save a life.

An old cyborg with some kind of retinal implant over his left eye sits on his own, glancing around the bar.

The ale is powerful stuff, Mufasta'r feels the room grow a bit brighter.

Mufasta'r feels the effects of the ale quickly, with it rushing to his head, he feels a sudden need to strike up conversation.

He notices an old cyborg, with a retinal implant sitting over to his left, curiously looking around.

He wraps his arm around Golpspirot and drags her along with him, in the direction of the cyborg, intent to strike a conversation.

"Greetings fellow traveler..."

"What has you here?"

"Here for the conversation... refreshments... or otherwise?".

Mufasta'r belts out some laughter, moves forward into the cyborg's vision, with a grin on his face, eagerly awaiting the response.

Nathan walks across and picks up the medical scanner.
    He takes a full scan of himself and requests permission to do the same for the other two.
    Not that he expects to find anything but you never can be too sure and it's probably good to have an updated baseline just in case.

• Advertisement

Drinks

Advertisement