Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller: Incident Zero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

As the cyborg takes a moment to respond, he pokes at Golpspirot and whispers.

"See that retinal implant? He is actively scanning..."

"Familiar with the design? he continues to ask.

He turns back to the cyborg, but now with one ear aimed towards Golpspirot, to catch her response.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Banjo wrote: »
    Approaching them, Lena salutes.
    "Ma'ams, this man needs your help. You tell me what you need and we'll find you someone can get you it. You try n help, sure, he may not make it but you could be the difference. Sit here awkwardly pretending you're normal like the rest of these drones, damnitt he's gonna die. Cmon.
    Let's go save a life.
    "We need to call colony medical, get him taken in, but...."

They look at each other again. One takes out a badge.

"...We're from the colonial authority, everybody back off and let us deal with this man..." she leans into the tour operator and whispers something.

The tour operator goes a bit pale.

"Alright everybody clear out" he says beginning to herd the group away from the tram.

"Greetings fellow traveler..."

"What has you here?"

"Here for the conversation... refreshments... or otherwise?".

Mufasta'r belts out some laughter, moves forward into the cyborg's vision, with a grin on his face, eagerly awaiting the response.
    As the cyborg takes a moment to respond, he pokes at Golpspirot and whispers.

"See that retinal implant? He is actively scanning..."

"Familiar with the design? he continues to ask.
    "No" she whispers back "Not that up on cybernetics"

The cyborg stares for a bit more.

"You have augments like myself Aslan, I didn't know your species did that"

Evade wrote: »
    "No, I'm fine like this. Thank you"
    "Of course Miss" he says, exiting the booth.
    "And then I killed you"

Drinks and refills.

Drinks.
    She can see the other observation booths along the canyon, the thin narrow windows looking out from the rock. She sees some of the far occupants looking agitated, it doesn't take long to see why.

Kei sees one of the racers accelerate suddenly and come flying toward the starting line for the second lap, but at way too high a speed, Mach 12 at least. Within seconds it hits the canyon walls and explodes.

Nimroth wrote: »
    Nathan walks across and picks up the medical scanner.
    He takes a full scan of himself and requests permission to do the same for the other two.
    Not that he expects to find anything but you never can be too sure and it's probably good to have an updated baseline just in case.
    Thankfully none of them have elevated Flouride levels, the Bayesian algorithms within the scanner take Nathan as the new baseline, as he has spent the shortest amount of time at the colony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Fourier wrote: »
    "We need to call colony medical, get him taken in, but...."

They look at each other again. One takes out a badge.

"...We're from the colonial authority, everybody back off and let us deal with this man..." she leans into the tour operator and whispers something.

The tour operator goes a bit pale.

"Alright everybody clear out" he says beginning to herd the group away from the tram.

Lena barks "you heard the man, let's GO!" clapping and ushering with extreme prejudice.
    "Ma'ams, you need anything else? Clearly this is more than a fare-dodger or common cold situation. Any risk of contamination among the passengers? What are we looking for here?"

Lena barks "you heard the man, let's GO!" clapping and ushering with extreme prejudice.
    "Ma'ams, you need anything else? Clearly this is more than a fare-dodger or common cold situation. Any risk of contamination among the passengers? What are we looking for here?"
    "You're an off-worlder, sorry, but this doesn't concern you"

"You're an off-worlder, sorry, but this doesn't concern you"

"The **** it doesn't if I'm exposed. You wilting violets might want to think about all those other passengers who I'm about to join, who you are not observing, and whether or not you're content to let them go unobserved.

Driver, you don't have to tell me what they told you, but just think about this - that was clearly the absolute most sanitised child friendly spin they can put on whatever is going on. If they said heart attack it's a nerve agent. They said nerve agent, it's a virus. Virus it's a plague. They said plague? Well **** me it's an invasion and they're as like to nuke us as all else. Thinking about it? Lemme see your face. Mmmm mmm, what I thought.

Enjoy your deathtrap, ladies!"

Lena heads off to see if the other passengers are acting nonjumpy

"No" she whispers back "Not that up on cybernetics"

The cyborg stares for a bit more.

"You have augments like myself Aslan, I didn't know your species did that"

Mufasta'r laughs.

"We have come a long way, the last few cycles... Even drive technology now...".

He winks at the cyborg.

"Good eye...".

"You in the business of augments yourself?".

OOC: Off for the night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

The all too familiar explosion snaps Kei back to reality. "I can't see this again" Kei heads to the bar to pay her tab and checks the train schedule back to the city.

Lena heads off to see if the other passengers are acting nonjumpy
    One other passenger has begun to bend over in pain.

"Just a pain in the neck, must have sprained it" he says to his companion.

The all too familiar explosion snaps Kei back to reality. "I can't see this again" Kei heads to the bar to pay her tab and checks the train schedule back to the city.
    There's a train within the hour.

It seems all the other spectators are absorbed in the commotion following the accident, the only other person here at the station is a man in a miners outfit.

"Hey miss, sorry to bother you, you wouldn't happen to have a drink would you?"

Kei gestures at her former booth "There's half a bottle of whiskey there already paid for"

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Nimroth

Nathan seems to have his work cut out for him. He starts his work towards a viable test.

"I would suggest to restrict offworld access to the planet for now until we know it's safe."

One other passenger has begun to bend over in pain.

"Just a pain in the neck, must have sprained it" he says to his companion.

Lena takes a look for anyone who looks like they're trying very hard to look casual to lean on - cause this chump clearly knows nothing - but if the girls from the Authority weren't worried about airborne maybe she shouldn't be either. Ah, maybe it's nothing, she pushed, they badged and pushed back is all. Civil servants. ****ing parasites.

"Excuse me sir - yeah you with the neck! - you need any help getting to a tram stop? Say, what happened your neck?"

Nathan seems to have his work cut out for him. He starts his work towards a viable test.

"I would suggest to restrict offworld access to the planet for now until we know it's safe."
    "Seems sensible" Spachens mutters, more to himself than in response to Nathan.

"I consider ourselves beyond fortunate that somebody of your talents was visiting...hold on"

He holds his hand against his ear to listen to his comdot (OOC: Implanted communication device in ear).

"Incident on the race tracks, could be related, I'll investigate.

Roland?"

The reply comes quickly on a nearby terminal.

"Yes Dr. Spachens?"

"Roland, tell Colonial authority to turn away ships for now, redirect them to Guardian and give Dr. Cole here level 2 access to the systems, with heightened permissions to the simulation servers.

Dr. Cole, I am going to follow up on this incident at the tracks" he leaves the room.

OOC:
    I'll just explain the Check here, sorry if I over explain at points, it's just for people to see the rules at work.

Finding a viable test will be a Difficult Medical + Intellect check. In your case:
    2d6 + 3 (Medical) + 2 (Intellect) - 2 (Difficult)

A failure just means you don't succeed in that 2 hour window. If you want to speed up the discovery time to twenty minutes, that will give a -2 mod to the roll.

Roll here:
    https://rolz.org/dr?room=Boards%20Traveller%20II

Command is "#2d6 + 3" in this case

Kei gestures at her former booth "There's half a bottle of whiskey there already paid for"
    "Wow lady, you are generous"

He salutes and heads off.

The tram arrives twenty minutes later.

Lena takes a look for anyone who looks like they're trying very hard to look casual to lean on - cause this chump clearly knows nothing - but if the girls from the Authority weren't worried about airborne maybe she shouldn't be either. Ah, maybe it's nothing, she pushed, they badged and pushed back is all. Civil servants. ****ing parasites.

"Excuse me sir - yeah you with the neck! - you need any help getting to a tram stop? Say, what happened your neck?"
    "I'm not su..."

The man collapses.

The other man near him shouts loudly, calling the two officers over to him.

The crowd is beginning to panic.

Kei boards on the tram. Kei tries to grab some sobering sleep on the tram. Just as she nods off she realises "He saluted"

• Advertisement

Mufasta'r laughs.

"We have come a long way, the last few cycles... Even drive technology now...".

He winks at the cyborg.

"Good eye...".

"You in the business of augments yourself?".
    "Certainly am, what are you packing? That palm claw of yours enhanced, I can see something beneath the flesh"

On the holovid screen behind the cyborg the news displays a crash at the racetracks and that colonial authority is going to make a colony wide announcement in two hours.

"Seems sensible" Spachens mutters, more to himself than in response to Nathan.

"I consider ourselves beyond fortunate that somebody of your talents was visiting...hold on"

He holds his hand against his ear to listen to his comdot (OOC: Implanted communication device in ear).

"Incident on the race tracks, could be related, I'll investigate.

Roland?"

The reply comes quickly on a nearby terminal.

"Yes Dr. Spachens?"

"Roland, tell Colonial authority to turn away ships for now, redirect them to Guardian and give Dr. Cole here level 2 access to the systems, with heightened permissions to the simulation servers.

Dr. Cole, I am going to follow up on this incident at the tracks" he leaves the room.

OOC:
    I'll just explain the Check here, sorry if I over explain at points, it's just for people to see the rules at work.

Finding a viable test will be a Difficult Medical + Intellect check. In your case:
    2d6 + 3 (Medical) + 2 (Intellect) - 2 (Difficult)

A failure just means you don't succeed in that 2 hour window. If you want to speed up the discovery time to twenty minutes, that will give a -2 mod to the roll.

Roll here:
    https://rolz.org/dr?room=Boards%20Traveller%20II

Command is "#2d6 + 3" in this case
    OOC: rolls 2d6 + 3 = 14

"I'm not su..."

The man collapses.

The other man near him shouts loudly, calling the two officers over to him.

The crowd is beginning to panic.

Standing up on a convenient wall, Lena barks
    "Fellow commuters! Listen up! We have a situation - the gentleman on the train has had a heart attack. It is not - hey! Keep it down! - it is not uncommon in these situations for you to feel sympathetic symptoms, brought on by claustrophobia and fear - this is ok! This is normal! It's called Bissells syndrome.
    What I need y'all to do is separate out by worst symptom- I need laboured breathing here! I need nausea here! I need blurred vision here! Headache? Right here. Chest pains? Down front. If you're fine, help move the others. Hey! I didn't say go home, I said help!
    Breathe slow and easy, relax, help is on the way, most all of us will be good to go fore they get here."

Ooc : So...uh...riot?

Nathan, while sequencing the man's genes from the tank and comparing against the baseline genetics, his own, notices something astonishing. The flouride levels are indeed hard to track, they'd require a detail analysis of spinal fluid in fact. However, the subject's eyes develop a knotted pattern of peptides across the iris. Quickly he realises they'd reflect defocused laser light of the right frequency and runs a simulation to confirm his hypothesis.

With the help of Roland, the retinal subsystems of a medical scanner within the tank room have their firmware updated to perform this test.

And all in no more than fifteen minutes.

"Certainly am, what are you packing? That palm claw of yours enhanced, I can see something beneath the flesh"

On the holovid screen behind the cyborg the news displays a crash at the racetracks and that colonial authority is going to make a colony wide announcement in two hours.

"Dewpaw... has come in quite handy, in the past. Though always keen on... aquiring further enhancements..."

Mufasta'r looks at the holovid behind the cyborg and keeps an eye on the local news, concerned with the colony wide announcement which was remarked on.

He nudges his companions and then nods towarda the direction of the holovid.

"Curious whether this is common..." he thinks to himself.

He nudges his companions and then nods towarda the direction of the holovid.

"Curious whether this is common..." he thinks to himself.
    "On a backwater like this, definitely I'd say. So little happens the government is probably dying for some minor event to happen..." Golpspirot suddenly pauses.

She presses her hand to her ComDot.

"The Stella Gris is being redirected to Guardian...that's, well, odd"

The cyborg stands up.

"Your ship is being redirect? This related to the announcement?"

"I don't know, waiting for the captain to get back to me."

"Please, as said before, the pleasure is all mine. Although the circumstances are...difficult... I am grateful for the opportunity to exchange ideas with scientists of your caliber. Being cramped into a civilian passenger ship with...how do i put it...other passengers that seem to have very different fields of interest can be tiresome, so I do enjoy the chance to be around people that can tell the difference between a subharmonic scanner and a phasic bloodcell analyzer."

He finishes this sentence with a wide smile.
    The best he can muster, ignoring the fact that their findings are very disconcerting.
    For two reasons..
    ONE: This might actually be much more than just a simple infection and could endanger the whole colony. This in itself he could handle, but
    TWO: If their schedule changes too much, he might be late and miss it. The event he'd been expecting and preparing for years. He checks the timer widget on his datapad: 6 days, 19 hours, 49 minutes....
    With the help of Roland, the retinal subsystems of a medical scanner within the tank room have their firmware updated to perform this test.

And all in no more than fifteen minutes.

Using his new security status, Nathan uploads the new specs to all medical field units with instructions to include a scan for these indicators into each standard procedure. If a subject...patient, he corrects himself, is found positive notify a recipient list he created including himself, Dr. Spachen, Dr. Fulchz and Mant.

He takes the updated medical scanner and repeats the scan for all present.

"On a backwater like this, definitely I'd say. So little happens the government is probably dying for some minor event to happen..." Golpspirot suddenly pauses.

She presses her hand to her ComDot.

"The Stella Gris is being redirected to Guardian...that's, well, odd"

The cyborg stands up.

"Your ship is being redirect? This related to the announcement?"

"I don't know, waiting for the captain to get back to me."

"Probably precautions, for whatever is about to happen..."

"Best to stay on our guard... in any case"

Mufasta'r extends a hand to the cyborg.

"Mufasta'r, pleasure...".

OOC: Holding thread there.

• Advertisement

"Probably precautions, for whatever is about to happen..."

"Best to stay on our guard... in any case"

Mufasta'r extends a hand to the cyborg.

"Mufasta'r, pleasure...".
    "Jack, pleasure meeting you Mufasta'r...if I am pronouncing that right (OOC: He's close enough), never seen an Aslan here, nor in the nearest three solar systems, your Empire is very far away, must have taken you a year to get out here."

Advertisement