Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Since when have Communions become such a plebian affair?

• 21-05-2018 10:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

When I was young your communion was about having a mediocre meal in the local hotel, getting fivers in cards from aunties and uncles, and if you’re lucky one of your friends’ parents hiring a bouncy castle, which half the street got the use out of.

These days they’ve become mini working-class weddings. Piss ups for the families, sweet carts, limos, candy floss machines, those tacky-as-ef Instagram/Facebook cardboard frames, hiring djs, renting out an area in a scummy pub, professional photo shoots, mothers and aunties and grannies booking their hair, tan, makeup months in advance, dads and uncles and grandads taking fashion tips from McGregor’s clan. It’s like a competition in some neighbourhoods to see who can get themselves in most debt to out-tack the people next door. The past few weeks in work I’ve heard numerous people talking about the “mad” communions they were at at the weekend. Seriously can people not leave the crates of Blue WKD and bags of poor quality cocaine for a day that’s not supposed to be about children?

/fin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Last week.
    Wednesday I believe.
    Not sure the time but it was definitely after Earl Grey and before Pimms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

Jealous much ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

U OK, hun?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

For a minute there I thought the "time traveller" poster was back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think they've always been that bad tbh.

Kid two doors down had his over the weekend. Bouncy castle on the green, the whole street were using it, his Ma gave all the kids cake. His uncles brought their hurleys (bleedin' culchies) and had a knockabout on the green.

Very civilised affair by modern standards, no limos or 8 year olds in slutty wedding dresses to be seen.

Though the ice cream man did decide to come around at 9 o'clock. That was weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

mookishboy wrote: »
    Jealous much ?

Yup. Dreadfully. I wish I could spend all my weekends getting drunk around children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

seamus wrote: »

Kid two doors down had his over the weekend. Bouncy castle on the green, the whole street were using it, his Ma gave all the kids cake. His uncles brought their hurleys (bleedin' culchies) and had a knockabout on the green.

Very civilised affair by modern standards, no limos or 8 year olds in slutty wedding dresses to be seen.

Though the ice cream man did decide to come around at 9 o'clock. That was weird.

Who doesn't like a bit of "ice cream" at 9 pm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

mookishboy wrote: »
    Jealous much ?
    Esel wrote: »
    U OK, hun?

Two absolutely sh*t and unoriginal replies from circa 2013. You must learn to respect a hateful rant and not be so crap in future you pair of nits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

With the new sugar tax parents will be giving their children some rose wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Yup. Dreadfully. I wish I could spend all my weekends getting drunk around children.

Sure it’s better they see their daddy handling 12 pints like a pro than learning to fall over after 3 pints from kids their own age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Ipso wrote: »
    Who doesn't like a bit of "ice cream" at 9 pm?

So, it's not just me thinking they're dealers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I wonder are the priests cringing at the names like Braxton and Codi-Mai and such in God's gaff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭matchthis

Think it was about the time of the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Omackeral wrote: »
    I wonder are the priests cringing at the names like Braxton and Codi-Mai and such in God's gaff.

They probably have their own stuff to cringe about

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

seamus wrote: »

That's just business. If the area was mobbed then he is sure to make a tidy profit for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mzungu wrote: »
    That's just business. If the area was mobbed then he is sure to make a tidy profit for himself.
    It was 9pm. All the kids were in bed.

He drove down the road playing the Match of the Day theme tune, stopped to look at his phone, and then turned around and fncked off again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its not restricted to the working class to try and show-off without cause. Hypocrisy of people "celebrating" a sacrament they are unlikely to darken the door of a Church for long after the communion day to ensure their kids keep receiving it, is widespread

There are plenty of ways to de-power it. First Communion should be received during the school day, with one parent / guardian allowed be present, and all the kids boys and girls alike should wear plain white soutane. If tacky parents can be bothered buying separate dresses and outfits and organising a party at the weekend, then good luck to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It's always been a bit tacky and creepy. Dressing little girls up in mini wedding dresses. That, as my late granny used to say, is some fucked up shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

The “family knees-up in the pub” communion celebration was actually quite common in my rural Wesht of Ireland primary school in the 80s and 90s. My family was the odd-one-out for just having a nice meal at home then going for a spin.

But all the other stuff mentioned in the OP wasn’t the done thing at all. It is very wedding-y alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

i was at my landlord's eldest;s First Communion in deep rural Kerry, at a small church, a while ago. It was handled respectfully and lovely. The girl was the only one and it was an evening service. Very much a community/family service.

Yes a white dress but no veil etc

The mother spoke lovingly of her daughter during the service.

Afterwards, supper in the local school, again the whole community.

They are a family faithful at Mass, so it was deeply meaningful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

My young fella’s communion this weekend, gonna be epic!

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The word I'd use is tacky.
    Well I got my communion back in early 2000's.
    Both the CBS and convent joined for their communion.
    The fake tan/big fair/massive/dress/etc was only really done by one girl.
    Most people went for a meal with their family after words. Parents/Siblings/Aunts/etc.
    I don't think anybody had a bouncy castle. They were done for Birthday's.
    It wasn't until the second half of the 2000's that the big tacky Communions became more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Young girls in their communion dresses makes me think they're brides of jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Seen one communion girl yesterday with a Unicorn horn headband. Last year somebody I know was trying to flog off helium filled balloons in the shape of a crucifix.

Seen one communion girl yesterday with a Unicorn horn headband. Last year somebody I know was trying to flog off helium filled balloons in the shape of a crucifix.

I saw that on Instagram yesterday...a photo of a girl the morning of her communion wearing a white dressing gown inscribed with "____'s Communion Day <date>" and holding a helium crucifix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I do get your point OP but communions are weird and creepy indoctrination ceremonies anyway. Al least this way we can kind of laugh at them a bit.

Helium crucifix indeed! Wouldn't be much good hammering a nail into that, let me tell you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭EdEd

Creepy nonsense to be dressing up young girls as brides of christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

Fair Play OP, communion has now become a thing of competition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

It's alot to do with who can have the biggest communion. I seen one where my brother work's with a bouncy castle, popcorn machine, candy floss machine, two lots of food, mini go kart track, limo, ice cream van, macgican/face painters and dj. Just people trying to out do each other. Become a bit sad really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Seen one communion girl yesterday with a Unicorn horn headband..

Shush. Communion or no communion you can't avoid the bloody unicorn stuff.

Anyway I have one of ours doing communion this year. It will be a meal in a local hotel for the family, close relatives and feck all else. I would possibly pick more glamourus location for the meal but we have a voucher for the hotel we won't spend otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

When I was young your communion was about having a mediocre meal in the local hotel, getting fivers in cards from aunties and uncles, and if you’re lucky one of your friends’ parents hiring a bouncy castle, which half the street got the use out of. These days they’ve become mini working-class weddings. Piss ups for the families, sweet carts, limos, candy floss machines, those tacky-as-ef Instagram/Facebook cardboard frames, hiring djs, renting out an area in a scummy pub, professional photo shoots, mothers and aunties and grannies booking their hair, tan, makeup months in advance, dads and uncles and grandads taking fashion tips from McGregor’s clan. It’s like a competition in some neighbourhoods to see who can get themselves in most debt to out-tack the people next door. The past few weeks in work I’ve heard numerous people talking about the “mad” communions they were at at the weekend. Seriously can people not leave the crates of Blue WKD and bags of poor quality cocaine for a day that’s not supposed to be about children? Pretty crass alright/fin
    It's alot to do with who can have the biggest communion. I seen one where my brother work's with a bouncy castle, popcorn machine, candy floss machine, two lots of food, mini go kart track, limo, ice cream van, macgican/face painters and dj. Just people trying to out do each other. Become a bit sad really.
    Cheapest

EdEd wrote: »

I actually wonder about that I would suspect white for christening and communion as symbol.of purity predates white for weddings. I am too lazy to Google it though.

erica74 wrote: »
    Young girls in their communion dresses makes me think they're brides of jesus.

Well, yes, Early recruitment technique for the Orders..

Sky King wrote: »
    I do get your point OP but communions are weird and creepy indoctrination ceremonies anyway. Al least this way we can kind of laugh at them a bit.

Helium crucifix indeed! Wouldn't be much good hammering a nail into that, let me tell you!

No they are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I was confirmed in 88, in France. Stuck in a little white dress, went to the service, went home, taken out of the little white dress. That was it. No money, no fancy dinner, I think the only gift I got was a little faux mother of pearl missal sent from Ireland by Grandma.

• Advertisement

EdEd wrote: »

Not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Graces7 wrote: »
    No they are not.

That's exactly what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭threetrees

I think the situation you describe is the exception rather than the norm, in my experience anyway. We've respected that our children are innocent and beautiful, with simple suits and dresses. No glitter, no tiaras, no pub, no bouncy castle. Just a simple dress and a small family gathering at home. The mini wedding scenarios are OTT and the exception as far as I can see.

I actually think the whole mini wedding thing more reflects wedding obsession in this country. I never saw it mentioned as mini wedding where I had communion (in Slovenia) although they ditched the whole communion outfit nowdays and kids just wear some nice clothing under white tunic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I think subjecting children to sacraments they’re not old enough to understand into a church that’s lets face it, shown nothing but evil tendencies towards children,is a bit worrying. If they want to be members of the church then they should do that themselves when they’ve all the facts about the church they’re joining. New babies do not need to be absolved of anyone else’s sin, so can’t see the rush with needing to baptize them.

Are communions really gone this way? I only know one kid getting his communion this year and they had food at home before bringing the kids off to a hotel with a pool near some water park in drogheda and that was the kids celebration. Seems a bit grim using a kids communion day to write yourself off.

• Advertisement

threetrees wrote: »
    I think the situation you describe is the exception rather than the norm, in my experience anyway. We've respected that our children are innocent and beautiful, with simple suits and dresses. No glitter, no tiaras, no pub, no bouncy castle. Just a simple dress and a small family gathering at home. The mini wedding scenarios are OTT and the exception as far as I can see.

I’d say it depends on where you live but it definitely seems to be the norm in lots of parts of Dublin. I think they calmed down a bit post Celtic Tiger but I’ve noticed this year for the first time ever the amount of people going along to communions of their friends’ kids as social events and excuses to get mouldy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not sure if its just an Irish thing, but pub and drinking culture seems to apply to everthing here.

My commumion and confirmation in 80s/90s London, mini sausage rolls and sandwiches in the school hall afterwards, and then my uncle bought his and mine immediate family out for dinner to the local steak house. Confirmation, the fanciest part was again my uncle and sponsor, driving me to the church in his Merc.

Over here, experience of my families Baptisms, Communions, and Confirmations were all celebrated in the pub, and revolved around drink, even for the confirmations, where a pledge, which included support from families, were taken half and hour earlier.

:D

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not.

No, it absolutely is. Creepy and unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Went to one recently. I hadn't seen that much front boob, underboob, sideboob, otherwise squished boob, tanned thigh, plump bottom and bare back in quite some time. :pac:

I got given icecream between two wafers after my First Communion and thought I was absolutely made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Why the fcuk would you put fake tan on a child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Why the fcuk would you put fake tan on a child?
    Or worse put your child on the sunbeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

threetrees wrote: »
    Exactly as we did it when mine were small,no false crap, about the sacrament first,most Irish forget it,I see them langerated here in carrigaline every year,more worried about the price of a pint,and hair styles than the real meaning,sad Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Even back when mine were having their communion, back in the 90's , I remember some of the mothers buying two outfits for themselves, one in case it was wet cold day, other in case it was sunny and dry, I could not fathom it, and boutique bought to boot, then off to expensive family event, I just did my thing, and we enjoyed it all

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Graces7 wrote:
    i was at my landlord's eldest;s First Communion in deep rural Kerry, at a small church, a while ago. It was handled respectfully and lovely. The girl was the only one and it was an evening service. Very much a community/family service.

Landlords eldest? Is this a new thing?

Am I the only one that finds this odd?

I suppose it's one way of ensuring a reference :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Didn't the title of this thread originally say 'knackery'? Why would that be changed?

• Advertisement
Advertisement