Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Since when have Communions become such a plebian affair?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭briany

'Plebian' - It's the new euphemism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No, it absolutely is. Creepy and unnecessary.

THere is nothing creepy about faith in Jesus Christ and to many it is absolutely necessary

Maybe if you understood more..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Arrival wrote: »
    Didn't the title of this thread originally say 'knackery'? Why would that be changed?

The term is highly offensive to some people :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

goat2 wrote: »
    Even back when mine were having their communion, back in the 90's , I remember some of the mothers buying two outfits for themselves, one in case it was wet cold day, other in case it was sunny and dry, I could not fathom it, and boutique bought to boot, then off to expensive family event, I just did my thing, and we enjoyed it all
    There is always a good excuse to buy some clothes. :D I'm not overly worried about adult clothes if they are worn again at different occasions. Communion outfits for kids are such a waste of money. in our case it's actually not as bad because we got married this year and kids are wearing stuff they wore to our wedding. We could do more for communion, kids would be delighted with bouncy castle but we just don't want to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Graces7 wrote: »
    THere is nothing creepy about faith in Jesus Christ and to many it is absolutely necessary

I understand plenty. Children shouldn't be indoctrinated into a cult. 8 year old boys and girls eating the metaphorical body of a fictional being...weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Malayalam wrote: »
    Went to one recently. I hadn't seen that much front boob, underboob, sideboob, otherwise squished boob, tanned thigh, plump bottom and bare back in quite some time. :pac:

I got given icecream between two wafers after my First Communion and thought I was absolutely made.
    I hope you're talking about the mothers.

I understand plenty. Children shouldn't be indoctrinated into a cult. 8 year old boys and girls eating the metaphorical body of a fictional being...weird.

who died for us, on a cross.... and we are eating him now

On a lighter note.... ever see the toy, remote control fairy wings that some parents have their daughters wear on 1st Communion day. As they come walking back down from the altar the mums would make their wings flap by remote control as they sat in the congregation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭fixXxer

who died for us, on a cross.... and we are eating him now

On a lighter note.... ever see the toy, remote control fairy wings that some parents have their daughters wear on 1st Communion day. As they come walking back down from the altar the mums would make their wings flap by remote control as they sat in the congregation.

I need a link to that. For a friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I don't think it's metaphorical. I think they actually believe that it is actually the body. Which is even weirder.

Though in fairness most of them probably don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Maybe if you read more...

I say that as an atheist who finds religion nuts so no personal offence to you but to many people religion is creepy and the church represents horror to children and women and families.

I dont do church but have family who are religious and was at a cousins daughters communion recently. I skipped the church and was happy when the little girl got out of her dress into cumphy leggings (10 minutes after getting home) and we all have a lovely family party!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Sounds like a bit more fun than trawling through pages of cringy mumsnet sneering, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

There is something creepy about forcing children the Church didn’t rape or bury in mass graves into being believers. IMO an 8 year old isn’t old enough to have all the facts on the organization they’re being indoctrinated to.

There is something creepy about forcing children the Church didn’t rape or bury in mass graves into being believers. IMO an 8 year old isn’t old enough to have all the facts on the organization they’re being indoctrinated to.
    Firstly communion or no communion wast majority of kids in Ireland go to catholic schools, indoctrination happens there, first communion is just a ritual. And even if you go through catholic schools you actually have to believe into the whole thing to be indoctrinated. So until religion is out of Irish schools there is no point whinging about couple of rituals kids look forward to.

:rolleyes:

meeeeh wrote: »
    Firstly communion or no communion wast majority of kids in Ireland go to catholic schools, indoctrination happens there, first communion is just a ritual. And even if you go through catholic schools you actually have to believe into the whole thing to be indoctrinated. So until religion is out of Irish schools there is no point whinging about couple of rituals kids look forward to.
    Religion doesn’t have a place in unlucky state funded schools and the church should have no say in the running or schools or hospitals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭EdEd

Not.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Religion doesn’t have a place in unlucky state funded schools and the church should have no say in the running or schools or hospitals

Just like facts have no place within organised religion.

1_E4_BF57_C_731_C_4_BFD_B255_E29686_EF75_E8.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Top response.

Amazed at such an intelligent person as yourself making such a reply. Faith is not indoctrination. And nothing creepy about faith.

Children are well taught. And there is no forcing.

Over and out from me on this .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Amazed at such an intelligent person as yourself making such a reply. Faith is not indoctrination. And nothing creepy about faith.

Children are well taught.

Off you go to bury your head in the sand.

Children are only interested in the money they get from it. You are codding yourself if you think faith is important to a child. It is weird that the church has young girls dress as mini brides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Faith is not indoctrination.

Faith isn't indoctrination if you come to it yourself as an adult. If it is something you were reared in from when you were a small child and taught to believe articles of faith as genuine facts, then it is the absolute definition of indoctrination. The vast, vast, vast majority of religious people throughout history were indoctrinated into it and still are today.

Brand new babies are baptized to absolve them of original sin. You don’t find that weird? That someone so pure and innocent if they were to die supposedly don’t get to heaven however you could be a mass murderer on your deathbed but say you’re sorry and a decade of the rosary you’ll be forgiven and allowed into heaven? Nah. The Catholic Church have nobody to blame for their lack of bums on church pews but themselves. The fact the church sees nothing wrong with what they’ve done and show no remorse in regards to how women children and the poor have been treated by the most charitable tells me all I need to know. Why would I have any faith in a church that would treat daughters of their faith so appallingly? Why would I condone little girls dressing up as brides of Christ indoctrinating themselves into an organization that shows nothing but disdain for women?

Are little boys grooms of Christ then? Or is this just another stick to beat girls with? Nobody complains about ridiculous mini suits boys are put in.

Are little boys grooms of Christ then? Or is this just another stick to beat girls with?
    Might be if the church wasn’t so homophobic.

Or is it not gay if it’s a child and rape?

Are little boys grooms of Christ then? Or is this just another stick to beat girls with? Nobody complains about ridiculous mini suits boys are put in.

Misguided outrage is reserved for the mean butcher thread.

EdEd wrote: »
    Misguided outrage is reserved for the mean butcher thread.
    I'll stay here thank you. Why just single out girls? Again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Back to the topic of the thread - I think the OTT stuff has been gradually creeping in over the years. Holy Communion children used to spend the day calling on relatives, ending up with tea at their granny's or somesuch - or as a big treat they might be taken to the zoo.

Then the calling at relatives was changed to an event in the child's house, buffet, drinks etc.

Then the bouncy castles started to come along.

Then it became a meal out, and a late afternoon party with bouncy castle.

Then during the celtic tiger some people went mad - fake tans for the kids, marquees and champagne and blahdey blah. I even heard of families going to a hotel the night before the 'big day' as if it was a wedding.

I think things calmed down a bit during the recession, but have probably started to wind up again over the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Because men wear suits for all sorts of reasons throughout their life. Whereas in Irish culture, the white lacy dress really just signifies weddings and communions.

• Advertisement

I think it depends a bit where you are. Here it will be bouncy castle galore but that happens anyway around birthdays.

I'll stay here thank you. Why just single out girls? Again.

You are not at all put out about the church and girls being treated as they are. This says all I need to know about you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

My son goes to some countryside school, he's the only child without faith and of course communion is a big thing. Solved the issue with "When the other kids have communion, we go to the Zoo, okay?" "Awesome". Problem solved.
    Load of bollix the whole thing.

iguana wrote: »
    Because men wear suits for all sorts of reasons throughout their life. Whereas in Irish culture, the white lacy dress really just signifies weddings and communions.
    It might be my upbringing but I always found mini boy suits even more ridiculous especially at weddings and similar where they are really not needed.

You are not at all put out about the church and girls being treated as they are. This says all I need to know about you.
    I'm an atheist, one of those that puts kids through the religious stuff because at the moment it's easier than not to and they go to a good school. You know exactly nothing about what I think about church but I can tell you what I think about keyboard warriors who land in this sort of threads just to be judgemental pricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭facehugger99

We had one last Saturday - great weather and a bouncy slide - did some food at the house for the close relations - was a fun day.

I'm not in the least religious myself but I got the full Catholic education. So did all my friends and I wouldn't say any of them are 'believers', so while I've no doubt there's a bit of attempted indoctrination going on at the schools, it's clearly not working very well.

If you live in a rural area, your choices of schools are pretty limited so going down the Catholic route is almost a non-option. Personally, If I had my way I would remove religion entirely from the education system, but as that's not the case at present I've no option but to carry on with the charade.

I've no problem with most of the light-Catholic fluff they're teaching anyway - it's mostly the 'be kind to people' stuff that we can all get behind, but I encourage my children to think about things and to not just accept what someone tells them to be true without mulling it over themselves.

I'm an atheist, one of those that puts kids through the religious stuff because at the moment it's easier than not to and they go to a good school. You know exactly nothing about what I think about church but I can tell you what I think about keyboard warriors who land in this sort of threads just to be judgemental pricks.

Judgemental prick. I like it. Can I change my username to Judgemental Prick.

An atheist who puts children through religious indoctrination because it's easier. I've heard it all now. Try growing a spine.

Try growing a spine.
    I don't want to, I'm quite comfortable being a hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

The term is highly offensive to some people :rolleyes:

Losers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I made my Communion in May 1980. Afterwards, my parents, sister and I went up to Dublin from Kildare where I had my first McDonald's (on O'Connell Street). Fish and chips. I got all upset because McDonald's had violated my fish with probably tartare sauce and loads of salady stuff all over it, and I've always been fussy about food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's quite simple really. With the vast numbers defecting from their organisation, why wouldn't the church encourage people to bribe children to join their cult with sweets, bouncy castles and ostentatious parties?

It's (hopefully) the dying gasps of a defunct and repugnant death cult.

Sleepy wrote: »
    It's quite simple really. With the vast numbers defecting from their organisation, why wouldn't the church encourage people to bribe children to join their cult with sweets, bouncy castles and ostentatious parties?

It's (hopefully) the dying gasps of a defunct and repugnant death cult.

Cool theory but somewhat wide of the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Had one last week for the little one.

A mate runs a party business, so had all the crap the OP mentioned, Bouncy Castle, Giant Garden Games, Candy Floss/Popcorn on the go. (Paid **** all for it) Weather was great, BBQ on the go.

The child had the friends over, all her family and cousins. Great oul day.

There was a few drinks on the go.

Not many times during the year you get all your family & friends together in the one place so see no reason why the older folk can't have a bit of craic too.

Cheaper than bringing them all out for a meal in a hotel/pub while the child sits in a corner for the day on their IPAD bored out of their mind.

P.S. there was no fake tan or limos.

On a separate note, there were a few traveler kids getting their communion on Saturday.

My god, the women from the families looked like they were attending a stripper convention.

It was most diverting.

I think bouncy castles are not that expensive. Some here use them for birthday parties and I think cost is comparable or cheaper to having it in some play centre. I never hired one because ours have birthdays at the wrong time of the year but if you can avoid kids going into the house and sticking sweets under couch cushions then I am all for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Had one last week for the little one.

A mate runs a party business, so had all the crap the OP mentioned, Bouncy Castle, Giant Garden Games, Candy Floss/Popcorn on the go. (Paid **** all for it) Weather was great, BBQ on the go.

The child had the friends over, all her family and cousins. Great oul day.

There was a few drinks on the go.

Not many times during the year you get all your family & friends together in the one place so see no reason why the older folk can't have a bit of craic too.

Cheaper than bringing them all out for a meal in a hotel/pub while the child sits in a corner for the day on their IPAD bored out of their mind.

P.S. there was no fake tan or limos.
    Likewise a few weeks ago with the youngest lad. Food at the house for family and games outside and xbox inside for the kids when it rained. All immediate family in the one place together for a few hours, a few drinks and craic, what's not to like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I made my Communion in May 1980. Afterwards, my parents, sister and I went up to Dublin from Kildare where I had my first McDonald's (on O'Connell Street). Fish and chips. I got all upset because McDonald's had violated my fish with probably tartare sauce and loads of salady stuff all over it, and I've always been fussy about food.

Yeah after unleavened bread, everything else is just an assault on the palate one finds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

My communion was in 1984 and it was a piss up for my family just like every other occasion was. I was stuck in the pub for the day bored out of my skull. The idea of it being a day about me never entered anyones head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

We went to the beach - don't ask me why - only for my sister to go running headlong into the water, ruining her clothes, and forcing us home five minutes after we arrived. I didn't get anything off the relatives because the few that hadn't long since buggered off to England weren't on speaking terms with my parents.

I was probably back in civilian clothing and out on the streets acting the scut within 2 hours of leaving the church. The year was 1983.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Omackeral wrote: »
    I wonder are the priests cringing at the names like Braxton and Codi-Mai and such in God's gaff.

hey now... there's no need for that carry on....

Cody is a deadly name.... it really suits my 13 year old Cocker :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement