Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Since when have Communions become such a plebian affair?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

My communion was in 1984 and it was a piss up for my family just like every other occasion was. I was stuck in the pub for the day bored out of my skull. The idea of it being a day about me never entered anyones head.

1987 for me, but similar story. Stuck in a hotel that my parents thought was posh enough to impress the relatives and shouted at during the dinner to mind my dress because 'do you not know how much you're costing us'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I’d say it depends on where you live but it definitely seems to be the norm in lots of parts of Dublin. I think they calmed down a bit post Celtic Tiger but I’ve noticed this year for the first time ever the amount of people going along to communions of their friends’ kids as social events and excuses to get mouldy.

Yeah, that's so tacky. Why would anyone even want to do that?

I went to one of my good friend's son's communion and party a few years back. A few drinks were had but it was very clear that this was not an occasion for getting mouldy. Nobody did. Just a few glasses of prosecco and wine and that was it. It was just a nice sedate garden party on a lovely sunny day with a buffet of finger food. Classy and appropriate.

Back to the topic of the thread - I think the OTT stuff has been gradually creeping in over the years. Holy Communion children used to spend the day calling on relatives, ending up with tea at their granny's or somesuch - or as a big treat they might be taken to the zoo.

Then the calling at relatives was changed to an event in the child's house, buffet, drinks etc.

Then the bouncy castles started to come along.

Then it became a meal out, and a late afternoon party with bouncy castle.

Then during the celtic tiger some people went mad - fake tans for the kids, marquees and champagne and blahdey blah. I even heard of families going to a hotel the night before the 'big day' as if it was a wedding.

I think things calmed down a bit during the recession, but have probably started to wind up again over the last couple of years.

Meals out aren't anything new. I made my Communion in 1991 and half the class went out for a meal with their families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Meals out aren't anything new. I made my Communion in 1991 and half the class went out for a meal with their families.

I'm talking about before that.

I'm talking about before that.

It wasn't anything new in 1991. The immediate family going out for a meal for a big occasion is hardly extravagant, is it? Eating out was much less common then, reserved for big occasions, of which Communion was one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Likewise a few weeks ago with the youngest lad. Food at the house for family and games outside and xbox inside for the kids when it rained. All immediate family in the one place together for a few hours, a few drinks and craic, what's not to like?

Same as any family communion I have attended. Lovely get together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Likewise a few weeks ago with the youngest lad. Food at the house for family and games outside and xbox inside for the kids when it rained. All immediate family in the one place together for a few hours, a few drinks and craic, what's not to like?

The events I'm talking about aren't a few hours drink and craic. They're an all afternoon, evening and night affair. Parents and their friends getting absolutely locked and going on a mad one. Kids either being carted off to grandparents as early as the parents can get away with it, or else up half the night surrounded by drunk adults.

In Italy they use little linen smocks and a wooden cross hung around the neck.

Bout three fiddy in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The events I'm talking about aren't a few hours drink and craic. They're an all afternoon, evening and night affair. Parents and their friends getting absolutely locked and going on a mad one. Kids either being carted off to grandparents as early as the parents can get away with it, or else up half the night surrounded by drunk adults.

Tbh, as this was our fourth, I was just happy to make it to the church without a splatter of cow sh!te across my face and clean clothes.

Unlike the last one...:pac:

It wouldn't be my glass of prosecco either but everyone has their own idea of a good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

At one last week. No outrageous outfits. Back to the house for a buffet type meal. Kids played in the garden and the adults chatted. All done and dusted by 7pm. A nice civilised day and reminiscent of our own kids' First Communion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

After all the kids had gone home and daddy had a few on him he thought to himself it would be a splendid idea to climb the wall and jump onto the bouncy castle

Well as he left the wall the realisation hit him that he wasn't going to make the middle of the bouncy castle but instead he would land on the side tearing that bouncing castle in two

It was hurriedly deflated ready for collection

_Dara_ wrote: »
    It wasn't anything new in 1991. The immediate family going out for a meal for a big occasion is hardly extravagant, is it? Eating out was much less common then, reserved for big occasions, of which Communion was one.

Okay. I was just giving a general idea of how Communion celebrations have escalated over the years. I do remember a time when eating out in a restaurant wasn't part of it, but I'm older than you I think.

At one last week. No outrageous outfits. Back to the house for a buffet type meal. Kids played in the garden and the adults chatted. All done and dusted by 7pm. A nice civilised day and reminiscent of our own kids' First Communion.

Yeah, my nieces and nephews First Communions have all been like that. Just a family get together in the house, with the grannies helping out by bringing over a dish of something or a dessert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Okay. I was just giving a general idea of how Communion celebrations have escalated over the years. I do remember a time when eating out in a restaurant wasn't part of it, but I'm older than you I think.
    In Ireland we go out for family dinner with husbands parents and his sister an her family at least three times per year. When we are in Slovenia we go out with my parents and my brother and his family every time we are there, once or twice per year. When we were growing up we would always go out for family meal for our birthdays and other family occasions. I very much doubt we are some sort of crazy exception and I'm pretty sure plenty of people go out for a meal way more often than just for communion. While I appreciate people didn't eat out as much in the olden times ;) I don't think diner out now days is some crazy extravagance.

meeeeh wrote: »
    In Ireland we go out for family dinner with husbands parents and his sister an her family at least three times per year. When we are in Slovenia we go out with my parents and my brother and his family every time we are there, once or twice per year. When we were growing up we would always go out for family meal for our birthdays and other family occasions. I very much doubt we are some sort of crazy exception and I'm pretty sure plenty of people go out for a meal way more often than just for communion. While I appreciate people didn't eat out as much in the olden times ;) I don't think diner out now days is some crazy extravagance.

I'm not sure what your point is. I remember a time when going out for a meal for First Holy Communion was unusual and then it became a norm. I certainly never said it was a crazy extravagance. I was showing how, over the years, First Holy Communion celebrations gradually developed until they became the rather extravagant occasions they often are today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Going out for dinner isn’t a big deal is it? We do it almost every single week. For my communion the best auntie ever™️ Came to stay for a few days, my mam loooooved (and was very good!) cooking, so there was a huge hullabaloo at home, all the family over, and then next day me my mam my dad my brother and best auntie ever™️ Went to the zoo.

Going out for dinner isn’t a big deal is it? We do it almost every single week. For my communion the best auntie ever™️ Came to stay for a few days, my mam loooooved (and was very good!) cooking, so there was a huge hullabaloo at home, all the family over, and then next day me my mam my dad my brother and best auntie ever™️ Went to the zoo.

Who said it was? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's all them over the top shows on channels like TLC that have brought this upon us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Whats the going rate if your the godparent?

50E?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

50E?

500 bucks :)

Malayalam wrote: »

I dont live in D4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Malayalam wrote: »

Glad my sister decided to abandon catholicism at an early age. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

A family on our road hired a small camera crew for their kid and posted it on youtube later as a sort of mini-doc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

scopper wrote: »
    A family on our road hired a small camera crew for their kid and posted it on youtube later as a sort of mini-doc.

That's gonna be a lot of fun now with the new GDPR.

50E?
    I have 2 this year and both got E100. But they were both related to me and good friends with mine the same age so that might skew the figure a bit upwards as well.

And that was the rate last year as well.

• Advertisement

I have 2 this year and both got E100. But they were both related to me and good friends with mine the same age so that might skew the figure a bit upwards as well.

And that was the rate last year as well.

Ah feck. This Catholicism thinge is expensive.

Ah feck. This Catholicism thinge is expensive.
    :D
    You just need to have more kids than you're godparent to and you're raking in in:P

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

An awful shower of sheep in this country, can't make a decision for themselves, f3cking clowns.

I was only joking about the 500 bucks by the way. I just perform free exorcisms on the kids in lieu of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

50E?

My godchild made her first holy communion eight years ago and it was €50 then. Probably closer to €100 now.

I got £60 in total for mine, 29 years ago this week. Felt like a millionaire.

• Advertisement

Who sets these rates? Because they don't exist around here. I have several grandchildren who have made their Holy Communion in recent years and none got a single money gift over €20 and very few money gifts at all. Family and godparents usually bought gifts like books or games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I dont live in D4

Keep up, it's not the done thing in D4. This ridiculous overspend and ostentatious parade is weirdly carried out exclusivly by not so well off people in working class societies. And the traveller community.

Who sets these rates? Because they don't exist around here. I have several grandchildren who have made their Holy Communion in recent years and none got a single money gift over €20 and very few money gifts at all. Family and godparents usually bought gifts like books or games.

My bf’s nephew made €1600 at his 2 weeks ago. His aunt was giving him €150 (she’s his godmother). 4 years ago I gave my two nephews €50 for their communions. I’ll defo have to give more for the younger ones when they make their’s!

My bf’s nephew made €1600 at his 2 weeks ago. His aunt was giving him €150 (she’s his godmother). 4 years ago I gave my two nephews €50 for their communions. I’ll defo have to give more for the younger ones when they make their’s!

That didn't address the question. Who 'set' these 'rates'?

You can't say the rate is X just because some idiot gave X. And you don't "have to" gave anything like X.

That didn't address the question. Who 'set' these 'rates'?

You can't say the rate is X just because some idiot gave X. And you don't "have to" gave anything like X.

The rates are set by the status quo. These “idiots” who give X are setting the rates.

Is there anything to be said for another go at making my First Holy Communion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Keep up, it's not the done thing in D4. This ridiculous overspend and ostentatious parade is weirdly carried out exclusivly by not so well off people in working class societies. And the traveller community.

Indeed its like they are having a competition to see who can get into the most debt with the loan sharks

That is absolutely crazy. €50 seems a perfectly generous amount to me. My siblings would go mad if I gave €150 to one of their children.

My nephew made his Confirmation this year and no one gave him more than €50. I am surprised at what some people now consider to be the norm. It's getting as expensive as weddings to attend a Communion or Confirmation ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Give them 3 grand in an envelope.

You can't be seen as a tight arse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

A family of drug dealers (thankfully since moved out) on my street had a Cinderella type horse and carriage picking up their daughter for her communion a couple of years ago. Parked outside the house for nearly an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A family of drug dealers (thankfully since moved out) on my street had a Cinderella type horse and carriage picking up their daughter for her communion a couple of years ago. Parked outside the house for nearly an hour.

The hypocrisy is off the wall.

Irish criminals always seem to love big flashy religious occasions, whether they be Communions, weddings, funerals.

They become great Christians all of a sudden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

My nephew made his Confirmation this year and no one gave him more than €50. I am surprised at what some people now consider to be the norm. It's getting as expensive as weddings to attend a Communion or Confirmation ceremony.

Yeah - €50 would be more than enough for an 8/9 year old in my view.

€100 sounds like a crazy amount to give a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yeah - €50 would be more than enough for an 8/9 year old in my view.

€100 sounds like a crazy amount to give a kid.

A mate of mine got £100 from his granny for his confirmation. In 1982.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

A mate of mine got £100 from his granny for his confirmation. In 1982.

Well, the kid's are a bit older for a confirmation.

What's an 8 year old going to do with €100 - Buy 10,000 penny sweets?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

A couple of lads in work had kids make their Communion this year. Neither made it in the next day.
    When did a first Communion become the excuse for the mother of all pissups? That seems deeply wierd to me.

The rates are set by the status quo. These “idiots” who give X are setting the rates.

And idiots are best ignored.

conorhal wrote: »
    A couple of lads in work had kids make their Communion this year. Neither made it in the next day.
    When did a first Communion become the excuse for the mother of all pissups? That seems deeply wierd to me.

When it stopped becoming a religious occasion for most, and just turned into an excuse for a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

When it stopped becoming a religious occasion for most, and just turned into an excuse for a party.

Even still, it's a kids party not an adult one. It seems like a deeply wierd occasion to get smashed at. I can't imagine a bunch of adults falling about the place drunk at an 8yr old's birthday party.

• Advertisement

conorhal wrote: »
    Even still, it's a kids party not an adult one. It seems like a deeply wierd occasion to get smashed at. I can't imagine a bunch of adults falling about the place drunk at an 8yr old's birthday party.

True. But I think some parents have started to treat Communions like mini weddings - so lots of booze included and the party going on until the small hours.

Advertisement