Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Since when have Communions become such a plebian affair?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

And idiots are best ignored.
    Unless you're 8 years old and there's a good chance of cash coming your way:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Was driving from my house to Carlow today, the amount of bouncy castles you see in private gardens is unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

conorhal wrote: »
    Even still, it's a kids party not an adult one. It seems like a deeply wierd occasion to get smashed at. I can't imagine a bunch of adults falling about the place drunk at an 8yr old's birthday party.

I agree with that. I don't mind a bit of drink but why would you get completely hammered around kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

€400 for an ice cream van
    €600 for wood fried pizzas
    even event planners

Booked out a year in advance!
    It’s a communion ffs

People probably seriously stretching to throw the most lavish of parties

The boom is back baby... we’ve really learned **** all.... excuse me while I throw up

https://independent.ie/life/it-was-like-a-wedding-there-was-even-an-event-management-team-how-much-irish-parents-are-spending-on-communions-36953563.html

Gonna guess this is travellers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

There were vintage cars and limo's outside the church locally on Saturday. I'm not convinced Jesus would have approved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I think I'm going to be sick...
    Spent too long in the bouncing castle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Relax up Ghosty you don’t have to eat that all yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

It's lifestyle creep. People will always find something new to spend and waste their money on.

Funding that new lifestyle then brings it's own stresses. Probably not worth it in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

My main concern is whoever wrote the article can't use a spell checker...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Used to be a kids entertainer and the golden rule with Communions used to be, the more money the parents spent, the more miserable the kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

When there's helicopters dropping little Fionn and Sorcha to their communion, we have reached peak boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

Used to be a kids entertainer and the golden rule with Communions used to be, the more money the parents spent, the more miserable the kid.

I've noticed also that the more money the parents spend, the less wealthy they usually are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

M.Cribben wrote: »
    I've noticed also that the more money the parents spend, the less wealthy they usually are.

True dat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

“We do an artisan pizza, it's wild yeast not artificial yeast.“

Fcukin hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Gonna guess this is travellers

Travellers are big into youghert making parties too.

It's their culture...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You'll enjoy this thread from last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Big money in ice cream vans at all accounts.
    Couldn't be too hard to pull in a couple hundred quid at least of an evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: As we already have a First Communion thread, I'm going to merge this with that one.

Please, let the outrage continue:P

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I loves the Ortisson pizza, much noicer than the pepperoni......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    “We do an artisan pizza, it's wild yeast not artificial yeast.“

Fcukin hell

They’re making a fair chunk of wild dough alright

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Ireland is supposed to be coming down with aetheists but it doesn't seem like many parents are opting out of communion.
    Do they just want the excuse for a knees up, or to get the few quid for the chiseller?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

As far as dresses go I think that girls should have a plain white dress and boys a white shirt and black trousers. then there would be no competation among parents, because lets face it everyone wants their wee mary and Johnn'y to have the nicest outfit..

This would also help the less well of parents.

Going back centurys ago myself and 3 sisters all wore the same dress for our communion. The dress was 10 years old when it was my turn to wear it, but done the job

Advertisement