Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema Buildings

Options
  • 22-05-2018 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello People
    I am a cinema enthusiast working in a project to update the Cinema Treasures website with further entries of cinemas in the Irish Republic and would be grateful for any information on the cinemas listed below, or any other small town cinema that never got a mention in the wider world.  BROADLY WHAT I AM AFTER IN MOST CASES IS AN ADDRESS OR LOCATION so that I can complete the profile and establish what exactly is on the site currently.  Opening dates would also be welcome where none are given or need to be elaborated on.  Most of the libraries and the Irish Newspapers have been checked, which might save you the bother, although a number of publications covering Cork, Monaghan, Offaly, Tipperary and Wexford are not available on-line and many of the libraries in those areas didn’t respond.  Here goes:

Adare, Co. Limerick – Adare active 1940s (more dates needed also)
    Arvagh, Co. Cavan – Moonlight Pavilion active 1937-1970s
    Balla, Co. Mayo – Balla active 1947-1958
    Balla, Co. Mayo – Central active 1956-1967 (different cinemas as advertising simultaneously)
    Ballinasloe, Co. Galway – Plaza active 1930s-1983
    Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo – Robe active 1934-1936
    Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo – Popular active 1936- 1949
    Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo – Rex active 1955-1959
    Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo - Ritz active 1963-1979 at least (possibly all same cinema)
    Ballybunion, Co. Kerry – Savoy active 1949-1970s (possibly same as the “Cinema” in Main Street)
    Ballyduff, Co. Kerry – Savoy active 1960-1974
    Baltinglass, Co. Wicklow – Tower active 1943-1945 (possibly same as Town Hall or Carlton)
    Banagher, Co. Offaly – Shannon active 1949-1970s
    Bridgetown, Co. Wexford – “Cinema” active late-1940s
    Bruff, Co. Limerick – “Cinema” active 1920s-1948
    Carrickmacross, Co. Cavan – Gem destroyed by fire 1938
    Clara, Co. Offaly – “Cinema” active 1930s-1948
    Clones, Co. Monaghan – Carron active 1935
    Clones, Co. Monaghan – Classic active 1936-1937 (possibly same cinema, predates Luxor)
    Cloyne, Co. Cork – “Cinema” active 1949-1967
    Cobh, Co. Cork – Arch active 1930-1948
    Cobh, Co. Cork – Coliseum active 1934-1948
    Cobh, Co. Cork – Tower/Ormonde active 1945-1990s
    Cong, Co. Mayo – Sandhill Cinema active 1954-1970s
    Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford – Abbey, Abbey Square, active by 1914 (opening and closing needed)
    Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford – cinema in Athenaeum Hall, Castle Street, opened 1936 (closing needed)
    Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford – cinema in Hibernian Hall, New Street, opened 1915 (closing needed)
    Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford – New Cinema opened 1937 (closing needed also, was this the Astor listed in trade books 1939-1971)
    Ferns, Co. Wexford – Castle (dates needed also)
    Foynes, Co. Limerick – “Cinema” active from 1942 (closing date needed)
    Garryhill, Co. Wicklow – “Cinema” (dates needed also)
    Glenbeigh, Co. Kerry – “Cinema” (possibly called Oisin as same owner, dates needed also)
    Glenties, Co. Donegal – St. Dominic’s Hall, Main Street (was this a regular cinema if so when)
    Kanturk, Co. Cork – Strand active 1930s (was this the Cosey/Ormonde)
    Kilalla, Co. Mayo – Shamrock active 1949
    Kilkee, Co. Clare – Cineplex, Kilrush Road, active 2001 (opening and closing needed)
    Killaloe, Co. Clare – Astor active 1943-1950s (reports of an earlier cinema here)
    Killucan, Co. Westmeath – Majestic active 1953-1956
    Kingscourt, Co. Cavan – Majestic active 1945-1970s
    Kinsale, Co.Cork – Coliseum active 1930s (was this the Pier Cinema)
    Laurencetown, Co. Galway – “Cinema” active 1953-1959
    Letterkenny, Co. Donegal – Market Hall Cinema (dates needed also)
    Lucan, Co. Dublin – Pavilion active 1931 (more dates needed also)
    Macroom, Co. Cork – Castle active 1935-1950s
    Monaghan, Co. Monaghan – Magnet active 1939-1970s
    Monaghan, Co. Monaghan – County active 1972-1973 (possibly renaming of Magnet)
    Mullingar, Co. Meath – Classic active 1955-1956
    Naas, Co. Kildare – “Cinema” active 1932-1948 (unlikely to be the Coliseum/Dara)
    New Inn, Co. Galway – New Inn active 1952-1966
    Newport, Co. Mayo – Electric active from 1927 (more dates needed also)
    Newport, Co. Mayo – St. Patrick’s active 1945 (more dates needed also)
    Roscrea, Co. Tipperary – Picture Palace, Main Street (dates needed but active in 1915)
    Roscrea. Co. Tipperary – Oscar (dates needed also, these two seem to be different to New and Castle cinemas)
    Roscrea. Co. Tipperary – Castle (active 1990, more dates needed, were these all same cinema)
    Swords, Fingal – “Cinema”, Main Street, active 1950s (more dates needed)
    Swords, Fingal – Gem active 1945-1946
    Tallow, Co. Waterford – O’Brien’s Picture Palace (dates needed also)
    Tallow, Co. Waterford – Regal active 1940s-1970s (were these two the Arch Cinema)
    Thomastown, Co. Carlow – Savoy active 1942 (was this former name of Tower Cinema in the Concert Hall, Marsh’s Street, active 1940s-1965)
    Thomastown, Co. Carlow – Grennan active 1966 (was this Tower Cinema renamed)
    Tubbercurry, Co. Sligo – Palace (dates needed also, was this same as St. Brigid’s Hall active 1945-1970s relaunched 2010s)
    Tulla, Co. Clare – “Cinema” (dates needed also)
    Waterville, Co. Kerry – “Cinema” active 1916 (more dates needed also)

Phew!  Thank you very much for any help that is forthcoming and I will provide a square orange for you all at Christmas.

Regards
    Gavin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ConorTimelord

I have some information on the Ormonde cinema in Midleton. It is one of my favourite buildings and is a great example of art deco architecture. I am looking for more information on it as well as photos and plans so if you have any info on it feel free to share. This is what I have.

It was built for the talkies and replaced the former Southern Star Cinema. It started being built in 1946. Origionally owned by the Hydes. It was designed by O'Flynn B and sons. It did not have its own sweet shop so Nora and Marie Moore who owned a parking garage next to it sold the sweets. I'm the 80s Abbey cinemas took over it and It was owned by Pat Green. The auditorium was split into two and a sweet shop was added. It sadly closed in 2006.
    I have a bit of this added in a comment oncinema treasures as well as a few photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

I notice you haven't included Dublin. I checked the Cinema Treasures website and there's lots of closed Dublin cinemas not included as of yet. 17 off the top of my head. Of course, maybe you've already researched Dublin and are waiting to update the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

There used to be a cinema in Sutton Cross, Dublin 13 - it's a Supervalu now. Not sure if that's any use to you.

Here's a pic:

a4dc80ece446e950c1b787653ac59a70.jpg

What it looks like now:

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

There was a good book on the history of Dublin's cinemas that was published about ten years ago. Dublin used to have so many cinemas! Weird to see what some of the buildings were turned into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 William2024

Hello everyone I am just wondering if anybody knows where I would get the old cinema movie posters I am trying to open up an old cinema at home to show all the old movies again but I need the movie posters and I will pay Decent amount of money for them because I cannot get them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Ebay or Etsy can be a good place to find older posters. Just watch out for Repos.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

https://www.emovieposter.com/ might be worth a look, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,162 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How old? What films are you thinking of showing and more importantly where will this Cinema be?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

Easier and cheaper to get someone to redraw these and then reprint.

I've seen pubs try this and initially it went well, but died off quickly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement