Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 April update causing serious issues for some users

Options

Comments

I'm at the stage where i have to restsart. Any way i can remove the Update?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm at the stage where i have to restsart. Any way i can remove the Update?

Not sure but don’t restart if you can avoid it. Alternatively uninstall AVG/Avast before restarting.

faceman wrote: »
    Not sure but don’t restart if you can avoid it. Alternatively uninstall AVG/Avast before restarting.

Yeah I think I can shutdown anyway without it updating. The options are update and restart, update and shutdown or shutdown.

Thanks for posting this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elysium321

I had to do a rollback. At least 3 games from Steam stopped working completely.
    Luckily the rollback wasn't much hassle but it's still mad that they can release a piece of crap code like this without proper testing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I've had no end of problems with this update, namely
    - Noticeable drop in sound quality and maximum volume
    - Noticeable issues with colour profiles
    - Resetting many settings to defaults rather than what I had them as.
    - Replacing full function drivers with generic ones that makes software bundled with drivers stop working.

However the worst thing I have seen is random sleep.

I literally have been typing up a document and in between key strokes my monitor goes off, my machine enters sleep mode and I have to wake it up. I have never seen anything like that before and it kept happening over and over again. First of all I thought it was a hardware failure until I noticed the machine was sleeping.

I should have expected that however, since laughably the machine started to sleep during the installation of the updates which is something I have also never seen before. I physically had to keep waking it up to progress with the installation and I've seen this happen on another two machines as well.

The good thing is though the rollback was simple and only took a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I'm at the stage where i h
    ave to restsart. Any way i can remove the Update?

Control Panel -> Recovery -> Roll back to an earlier build (note you can only do this for a limited time after updating)

Then go to
    Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> Windows Update

Right click it, select stop. Right click it again, select properties, and change startup type to Disabled.

You won't be forced to have any updates that way. I've come to realise that with the bugs in this update and in the last one far better to just ban all updates unless I have a reason to update since my machine I know is secure and they cause more hassle than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Sparko

I had to roll back, my nvidia drivers went haywire. I spent a bit of time trying to fix them but I was getting nowhere so just rolled back and everything is back working now.

Will try and avoid this update for as long as possible and hopefully they'll iron out the issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

My systems seen to spend more time updating than I do using them

Advertisement