Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Query - 4% rule

Options
  • 22-05-2018 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Does anyone know if the rule of 4% increase applies to new tenants moving into a property? A friend of the family is moving out of a 2 bed apartment in Dublin and myself and my partner are hoping (all going well) to move into the apartment should the LL accept us. We are a early thirties couple in good jobs and I would think he would rather us replace the current tenants who have recommended us then go through the hassle of Daft, interviews etc?! The family friend has said he is very easy going and not interested in money but only his apartment being looked after and respected.

The rent in the apartment at present is quite cheap, well it is not cheap at all but it is cheap for the way things are in Dublin at the minute. I reckon the LL could get at least €200-300 more per month if he wanted to.

My question is can he try charge us more than 4% of the current rent if we move in? Some people I have been talking to have said the 4% rule only applies to existing tenants and others have said it's across the board.

Also, if this apartment doesn't work out is there a way to check the previous rent? Have people questioned LL's when viewing apartments to see what the previous tenants were paying?

We have only ever rented rooms before so this is all new to us and will be our first home together, thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Change of tenants does not impact the 4% rules. In other words, legally a landlord cannot change tenants to raise the rent by more than the allowed amount.

The allowed amount can be calculated using the calculator available on the RTB website. It can be more than 4% depending on when the rent was last set etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Conrad83 wrote: »
    Have people questioned LL's when viewing apartments to see what the previous tenants were paying?

I would not ask this question whatever you do. Probably never hear from the landlord again.

Unfortunately they know that they can charge what they want and people will pay it due to the lack of supply.

I cant help you with the rest of your question but interested to see what people say!

Best of luck in securing the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

thomas 123 wrote: »
    I would not ask this question whatever you do. Probably never hear from the landlord again.

Unfortunately they know that they can charge what they want and people will pay it due to the lack of supply.

I cant help you with the rest of your question but interested to see what people say!

Best of luck in securing the place!

Have to agree with all of this, mention 4% and the LL will think he is better off renting to someone with no connection to previous tenants, he will also know that he will get tenants easily enough when it goes up on daft. Right now you are lucky to have the inside track, anywhere else you could be competing against many applicants willing to pay whatever is asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Unless I'm reading your query wrong, yes the LL can raise the rent from what your friend is paying.

It's a new tenancy and the increase is calculated on when the rent was last adjusted. Bear in mind, it could be significantly more than 4% if the LL hasn't raised the rent in a number of years

Whichever, a good LL is worth their weight in gold (as is a good tenant)

Advertisement