Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving silencer on rifle

Options
  • 22-05-2018 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Leaving a silencer on a .22 rifle in the safe yay or nay

What’s your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Never leave it on, the can will allow moisture/condensation to build and when moisture mixes with the residue and unburnt powder in the can it turns into a very corrosive liquid, that can then destroy your barrel.
    You should always take the can off and leave it to sit on a radiator for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

juice1304 wrote: »
    Never leave it on, the can will allow moisture/condensation to build and when moisture mixes with the residue and unburnt powder in the can it turns into a very corrosive liquid, that can then destroy your barrel.
    You should always take the can off and leave it to sit on a radiator for an hour.

Never heard of this - will have to start removing mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

I’ve seen the damaged caused to a friends centerfire but I’ve a shooting buddy who refuses to remove the mod from his .22. I often wondered would it cause the same damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Yes it will, it will end up eating away at the crown and then the barrel will have to be recrowned etc.. If liquid rolls down the barrel and into the action there can be problems there too.
    Other from first-hand experience seeing things like this on a daily basis i also have this information from people who work for RWS in their department that does nothing more than fool around doing "Science" haha if you want to call it that. They break things/blow things up and such, anyway they did alot of testing as they own Husken and wanted to see themselves the effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I have had a number of 22s and 17hmr over the years and to be honest would have left it on based on the fact of I take it on and off it can or could affect the zero. 1u her in the safe at the minute and SAK sitting on it since I got it.......😥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I can concur 100% with what Juice said.Left mine on a season ago after being out on a wet hunt. Dried the rifle before putting it away on a radiator and cleaning the barrel. Had also warmed the silencer on the rad but not dried it completely.3 weeks later I take it ou and the silencer is stiff to unthread. I get it off with a strap wrench and discover some rust blooms in my barrel. Fortunately not eating or damaging the rifling anyway seriously,as I always run a p bore snake thru it after every use anyway. or threading but if left longer no doubt would have.
    A vigorous two-hour oiling, cleaning, oiling, routine disposed of it, but the barrel still needs a 4week inspection and a light pull thru with an oily patch,JIC. Lesson learned...Take the can off when not in use.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

First hand experience Ive seen it ruin several barrels, dealers then dont want the gun as a trade in or give scrap value on it !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Helpful tip, while you never leave a suppressor on a rifle, always use a small amount of a copper grease when you are using your mod. Its protects the rifle/mod, and prevents seizing. Simply clean off when you remove the mod, and apply afresh bit when going out again.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

You should not leave your mod on your rifle. Take it off after each use, and grease the threads with choke or copper grease. If you leave the mod on it will seize to the barrel causing all sorts of lovely rusting, pitting and damage to the crown.

Advertisement