Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on this existing build

Options
  • 22-05-2018 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I currently have this PC I built exclusively for emulation. (See pc part picker link) for use in an arcade cab. However, I would like to it to do modern gaming at 1440p.

Is this just a case of adding a gpu? I heard about potential bottlenecking but I completely out of my depth when it comes to this stuff. Any Ideas what I should do?

Thanks!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8Vp9cY

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yep, just add a GPU and you're fine. Not the strongest CPU in the world but perfectly fine. For the latest games at 1440P, a GTX1060 6GB or RX580 8GB would be advised ideally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Yep, just add a GPU and you're fine. Not the strongest CPU in the world but perfectly fine. For the latest games at 1440P, a GTX1060 6GB or RX580 8GB would be advised ideally.

Cheers! I will look into it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Sorry to bump my own thread from last year but I never got around to upgrading but I am ready to bite the bullet!

I was just wondering do you think it's worth upgrading r5 2600 with a 1070 to play at 1440p for newest release or just upgrade the gpu to a 1060?

Looking to move away from console gaming (for single player games anyways)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

For 1440p I'd definitely try upgrade both CPU & GPU, e.g. Ryzen 2600 (£142) + RX 590 (£240) - extra core count & hyperthreading to remove any bottlenecks.
    (for reference, at 1080p you'd be giving up anywhere between 20-30fps by sticking to 2200G).

The next step up in GPU after that would be the RTX 2060 (£330-340+) which has replaced the GTX 1070.

You should still get a decent return for the 2200G, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Advertisement
Advertisement